Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking garage with a steep ramp

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:49 AM
jonomo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking garage with a steep ramp

My office has an underground parking garage with a steep ramp... i would say about 25~30 degrees or so... and it spirals.... AND people drive up'n down'm like it's some race... should I even dare try to park there or leave the bike outdoors in the elements?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 AM
jonny ebola
Road Captain
Default RE: Parking garage with a steep ramp

loud pipes save parking spaces

Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of riding the bike is managing risk. It sounds like you are worried that if you use the ramp you might meet an idiot in a SUV coming the other way who's going too fast and could turn you into a hood ornament. You need to weigh that risk against the possibility that you may get bird c**p on your tank.. If you can't minimize the risk on the ramp by being extra vigilant then dont use it.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 AM
jackwagnerusmc
Stage II

I rev the Nightster real LOAD!!!! in the parking garage, love to hear the alarms!! no just kidding, I use the garage everyday, no biggie!!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Drodd8
Tourer

We have an underground parking garage where I work, but we have motorcycle specific parking on the first floor. Double check and see if you have something like that, maybe you won't have to go too far down. Just an idea.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I park every day in a parking garage...sometimes I see people BACKING up because they missed the turn off to their desired level as I'm coming down it! People drive like tourists at this garage, because...well...they ARE tourists! Terminal D parking garage, DFW International Airport. The entrance I take is on the fifth level. I go down to the first level at about 15-20 mph, diligently watching out for trouble areas (ANY occupied vehicle, and pedestrian crossings), and slowing or stopping accordingly. Then come to an unmarked "blind" intersection, stop, look both ways, and hang a right. Next left is the ramp to Lower Level 1, then left and left again, going extra slow for the "Mario Andretti's" in the garage. Then come to another unmarked "blind" intersection (that's where they decided to put the support pillars. Turn right, then an immediate left, ride down to where I usually park the bike, where ever there is an open space available. EIGHT levels and NO motorcycle parking! Once I LEAVE the parking garage, I have to deal with cab and bus drivers, and other cages changing lanes, slowing, stopping, and turning with little or no warning. The speed limit on the main road through the airport is 55 mph, with everything a RIGHT entrance, LEFT exit! It's an interesting combination of cars trying to catch "air" down the ramp between levels, and cars backing up between those same levels. I have to admit, though I meet VERY FEW cars coming the other way down the ramp, and I do this voluntarily, and am willing to accept the risks. I just simply do my part in trying to minimize the risks.

Teek