Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporster Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:06 PM
Dallastx
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Sporster Question

How many issues have you had with your bike? Repair. Sorry for the mixup.

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:12 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior
Default RE: Problems With Harleys?

not too sure i under stand the question

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:25 PM
jeramy
Banned

dallas are you drinkin agian

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:30 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

I am and still do not understand! lol

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:32 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

I have had few issues with My '96. I had to replace a few of the clamps on the oil lines and the inner gasket on the primary. On the engine I had to one head gasket crack so I replaced both sets of cylinder gaskets from the head gaskets up.
I'd say that was pretty darn good for an 11 year old bike.

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:34 PM
Dallastx
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I started doing a post under frustration over new owners posting problems with their bikes. I decided it was a bad idea and decided to delete the post. Most of the veteran riders hardly ever have problems and I keep reading posts of defects and bikes running bad that are brand stinking new. I'm on my second Harley and never had a problem. Forgive my ignorance for posting this.

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:42 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

I have never thought it an issue to have to wrench on the bike once in awhile.
I have heard many story's, even some from my dad about the trials he had with his '55 K-model ( the predecessor to the sportster) and how he made a distributor from a Ford 8n tractor work on his to bypass the troublesome magneto of that era, to ever want to complain about having to go to the store and buy an exact fit part to fix my minor issues...
From what I have been told the bikes of today are 150% more reliable than the Harleys of yesteryear...
E.

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:49 PM
Dallastx
|
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL! I'm a diehard Harley owner. I'll defend Harley to the end. Sorry. Maybe I shouldn't take it personally.

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:04 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Well I started doing a post under frustration over new owners posting problems with their bikes. I decided it was a bad idea and decided to delete the post. Most of the veteran riders hardly ever have problems and I keep reading posts of defects and bikes running bad that are brand stinking new. I'm on my second Harley and never had a problem. Forgive my ignorance for posting this.
Hey Now....

Not to rain on your parade, but aren't you a 'pretty new' Harley owner yourself?

From what I recall, your first Harley was the 883 you purchased in November of last year, and not long after that you traded it in for the 1200.

True, in 9 months you can put a number of miles on a bike (or two), but to really get an idea of problems you might experience you need to ride a bike for a couple of years and start racking up the miles.

Once you get past any possible initial factory problems, good scheduled maintenance and inspection of a bike will prevent many issues in the future. Plus, abusing a bike (the ride it like you stole it stuff) won't be beneficial if you want a bike to last for 100,000+ miles.

I think many problems (with any bike) are caused by individuals that beat on their bikes, don't perform required maintenance and/or repairs, and then moan and groan when something goes wrong.

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:13 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

[sm=exactly.gif]Well said OFG.

Quick Reply: Sporster Question