Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner or Mustang Seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 PM
EzRyder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner or Mustang Seat

I am about to change the stock seat on my 1200C. I'm 5'10" and can easily flat foot the bike.

Looking for a more comfortable seat for me (mostly) but also for the occasional ride w/ my wife. She has sat on the back of the bike but not ridden w/ me (I'm still new to riding).

I have read good things about both the Sundowner and Mustang for 2-up riding. I like the way the Mustang looks better, particularly the studs on the side. Also if possible, I would like to get a back rest.

Has anyone experience both and can tell me the differences between them.

Thanks,

Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 AM
MikesDad
Cruiser
Default RE: Sundowner or Mustang Seat

Nobody wants to reply.. Hmmmmm

Probably cause the aftermarket seats arent much better than what you already have. Especially for the 250 to 300 dollar price tag.[:@]

Your best bet would be to take your stock seat to an upholster, and have them build it the way you want it. You know, I little more padding for yours and 5 times as much for hers.

Thats what Im gonna do in the off season.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:20 AM
principalman
Advanced

Hi,
Like you, I wanted a different seat for my better half. I went with the sundowner as I wanted to keep everything H-D. I also purchased the sissy bar and pad from H-D. I purchased everything from Chicago H-D, as they are running a special on H-D parts through the end of the month. The seat, detachable supports, the sissy bar and pad came to just under $500.00. It is due to be delivered here tomorrow, and I expect to have it all on nightfall. I will try to post a picture of the before and after. You can actually use the "customizer" on the H-D website and configure you bike to see what it will look like afterwards. I like the mustang seat looks as well, but wanted to keep the bike as H-D as possible. I am also going to relocate my turn signals, but was unable to configure that on the customizer website.

Good Luck,
Jim

Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Sportacus
Novice

I recently installed the Mustang vintage solo. Sits a bit higher, no real change in front to back position. At 5'9" I'm about the same as you in height. I love the seat for comfort. In all the research I've done, I think the Sundowner and Mustang are comparable, as are most of the other 3rd party seats. The Mustang was like new used so that's why I ended up with it. I plan on sending my stock pillow to Allen @ Mean City Cycles. He will change the foam to a denser pad and customize it for your requirements/size. Most of the posts I've read about him are very satisfactory. You can read his website at www.meancitycycles.com. Best wishes for newfound comfort.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both and for the Mrs. the Sundowner wins hands down. For me they are both comfortable though the Mustang will sit you up about an inch higher. If I were looking for a two up seat and not worried about having the option of a solo and pillion seat then I would suggest the Sundowner as it's super comfortable and cheap ($198 through www.zanottimotor.com).
MikesDad makes a good suggetion on getting a seat custom tailored to suit you but most upholsterers and custom seat folks charge a premium for this and basically all they will re-use is your seat pan and and perhaps some of the base foam and will be adding and shaping foam plus memory foam and recover in vinyl or leather and you will pay from $150 to over $400 for this. A fellow I know on another forum had Roberti Customs (an excellent seat maker and well known) re-shape, add mem. foam and recover in leather his small HD solo seat and it was $275 for just a solo seat.
I will likely have my SD and stock seat done sometime when I have the extra $$$.
You might also look into www.ccseats.com as some people have had good luck with their seats and they are reasonable.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
MortgageGuy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another vote for the sundowner. I use it for the longer 2-up rides and my rear-end and my wife are both very appreciative. Bought it used from an HDForum member.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Texian
Banned

Rich,
You have a PM .Found the part number you asked me about.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Tegne
Cruiser

No question for me. I vote for Sundowner, med-low sissy bar and pad. All HD parts.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:29 AM
kk0210
Cruiser

What Tegne said! I did 450 miles on Saturday with the Sundowner and could have kept going.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no experience with the Mustang but I am plenty happy with my Sundowner! 5'10" and I sit nice and Dawn loves it compared to the stock seat[&:]

Quick Reply: Sundowner or Mustang Seat