Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Sportsters/ New Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021 | 07:29 AM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer

If you look closely oil is weeping from around the other bolt head as well. I would steer clear of that bike and that dealership. No reason to buy a bike that has problems from a dealer to inept to notice.

Last edited by Sol-Invictus; 01-13-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 10:34 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Synoptic 12
....snip....
HD upped the fork size to 49mm on the 48', whereby that size is not on the bike you own. If the fork size increased on all Sportster models, there must have been a reason.
...snip....
On the fork size, the newer '16+ Roadsters and '16+ 48s are the only Sportsters that do not have 39mm fork tubes.
As for why HD does what they do - who knows... I personally think that HD wanted the '16+ 48s to have a
"beefier" look in the front that better matched the fat front tire. The later Dyna models(before assimilation into
the Softail line) were switched to 49mm tubes, but they are a much heavier platform. Also I believe the Touring
and Trike(TriGlide) models still uses 41mm tubes....

T.

The following users liked this post:
Synoptic 12 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 10:44 AM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by WKNDS
On the fork size, the newer '16+ Roadsters and '16+ 48s are the only Sportsters that do not have 39mm fork tubes.
As for why HD does what they do - who knows... I personally think that HD wanted the '16+ 48s to have a
"beefier" look in the front that better matched the fat front tire. The later Dyna models(before assimilation into
the Softail line) were switched to 49mm tubes, but they are a much heavier platform. Also I believe the Touring
and Trike(TriGlide) models still uses 41mm tubes....

T.
I gave that thought, 'beefier look'. There possibly could be a reason with the bearings, unknown to me.

Old 01-13-2021 | 02:43 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

If you live by high-octane Harley Davidson you’re just a 40 minute ride away from National Powersports . You should take a ride up there and check it out they move a lot of nice used Harley’s .

Synoptic 12 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 02:51 PM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
If you live by high-octane Harley Davidson you’re just a 40 minute ride away from National Powersports . You should take a ride up there and check it out they move a lot of nice used Harley’s .
Thanks much. That is a ride for me. I'll take a look. Forget it, I'm not going to N.H.
* They're not a new HD Dealer, just used: 'Not interested".

Last edited by Synoptic 12; 01-13-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 02:58 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

It looks like a nice bike to me. I'm sorry I misconstrued the pictures as being a 1200 Sportster, not Roadster; my error. I'm very much aware of the terminology 'tin' and in the context which used by you. I meant no offense here. The paint on your bike looks pretty good to me. I still see a narrow front tire, not a fat tire up front. In this respect, how or why are you referring to a fat front tyre as detracting from the bike, or being a hindrance performance wise? No fat tire is on your bike, yet you elaborate upon such. The verbiage you use is not at all challenging for me, not in the least. Irrespective of the way you view the paint, you have not elaborated upon the quality when I made mention of HD having quality paint. I really cannot notice or see any flaws in the bike. As mentioned earlier, HD upped the fork size to 49mm on the 48', whereby that size is not on the bike you own. If the fork size increased on all Sportster models, there must have been a reason. I would at least like to see the pics of corrosion. All that aside, thanks much for your input. I meant no offense in my initial reply. Sometimes pride can overwhelm a person.
No offense taken . I've done my best to assemble a couple of collages all taken from the Sportster Sickness FB group . They are , to the very best of my knowledge , all from very recently purchased bikes . My '04 XL 1200 R has 25, 000 miles on it and not a spec of corrosion so I've got no complaints at all

. The general consensus is that since 2013 there has been a noticeable decline in finishing standards and quality control from HD .

Synoptic 12 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 03:26 PM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Midpegs
No offense taken . I've done my best to assemble a couple of collages all taken from the Sportster Sickness FB group . They are , to the very best of my knowledge , all from very recently purchased bikes . My '04 XL 1200 R has 25, 000 miles on it and not a spec of corrosion so I've got no complaints at all

. The general consensus is that since 2013 there has been a noticeable decline in finishing standards and quality control from HD .
*Thank you very much for providing those critical photos. Basically, what surprises me is that on the fenders where paint is missing, "I do not see any primer". I'm a detail person, right to the T. This type of condition is not acceptable to me at all. This concerns me a great deal, as you have placed more than doubt within my mind. I cannot believe the paint 'gone' where the oil filter cap is stationed. I would tend to believe that by using preventative maintenance on the bolts, lines, and any where else steel is used possibly, possibly could be a factor. However, there is far too much here to disregard. I'm more than thankful you were sent in my direction. Forgive me of my initial post and the context of words used. I just deplore and hate rust of any type. Maybe, you were not misdirecting the word 'tin' at all because that what tin looks like. At this point it is highly unlikely of making a purchase. Money is no issue but I do not like to toss it away. Again, I do not know if there is a detailer that has more experience than I, yet there must be more than enough. After reading a brief on one of the posts, the person clearly kept the bike in good shape. The underlying cause seems to be the metan (tin) whereby car manufacturers are following suit. This I know to be of fact, as you have clearly stated. What more can I say? > "You are 100% right".

Old 01-13-2021 | 03:45 PM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Exclamation

* Now, I'm not buying and most likely never shall purchase 'unless' the MoCo provides a twenty (20) year warranty against rust. Now, I know why everything is painted black, including the handlebars. Let me venture a guess, the MoCo is using "Eastwood rust inhibitor paint", must have gotten a big discount on the amount of black purchased.

Last edited by Synoptic 12; 01-13-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 04:05 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

* Now, I'm not buying and most likely never shall purchase 'unless' the MoCo provides a twenty (20) year warranty against rust.
Glad that has been settled .😃

Meantime I feel compelled to unilaterally award you bonus points for verbosity and total word count.

Thank you

Old 01-13-2021 | 04:10 PM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by eighteight
Glad that has been settled .😃

Meantime I feel compelled to unilaterally award you bonus points for verbosity and total word count.

Thank you
I know nothing of embroidery either. Yet, I shall not fall into the pit of craftiness.

Quick Reply: 2021 Sportsters/ New Models