Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Sportsters/ New Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021 | 09:37 AM
Graham UK
Tourer

Before my Dyna I had a 1200 custom. It was great. The forward pegs weren't far enough forward to spoil the handling; just enough to make the legs more relaxed. The fat front tire didn't spoil the handling. I didn't have the fork gators (boots), but would have liked them. Here in UK we get a lot of road spray and, if that dries on and hardens on the forks, then that can easily spoil a fork seal; I'd always have a microfibre cloth with me to wipe off the forks after lunch stops etc. The only slight negatives were that it was a bit top heavy, it would sometimes feel short of power during fast overtakes, and at 30mph (our regular town speed limit) first gear felt a bit too low and second gear felt a bit too high. My Dyna Low Rider gives me all the fun of the Sportster without those slight negatives. Nevertheless, I wish I could have justified the expense of keeping two bikes; then I could have kept the Sportster as well, rather than trading it in.

The following users liked this post:
Synoptic 12 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:50 AM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Graham UK
Before my Dyna I had a 1200 custom. It was great. The forward pegs weren't far enough forward to spoil the handling; just enough to make the legs more relaxed. The fat front tire didn't spoil the handling. I didn't have the fork gators (boots), but would have liked them. Here in UK we get a lot of road spray and, if that dries on and hardens on the forks, then that can easily spoil a fork seal; I'd always have a microfibre cloth with me to wipe off the forks after lunch stops etc. The only slight negatives were that it was a bit top heavy, it would sometimes feel short of power during fast overtakes, and at 30mph (our regular town speed limit) first gear felt a bit too low and second gear felt a bit too high. My Dyna Low Rider gives me all the fun of the Sportster without those slight negatives. Nevertheless, I wish I could have justified the expense of keeping two bikes; then I could have kept the Sportster as well, rather than trading it in.
Thank you very much. I very much appreciate the view you have given and consider the information of value to me.

Graham UK (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:55 AM
Lil Kim
Stage II
Default Standard or Sportster?

I have a 2020 Iron 1200, hubby has a 2020 Standard. I've ridden both, my Sporty has NOTHING on the Standard in regards to speed, comfort, handling etc. The sporty you are ON the bike, the Standard you are IN the bike. Get the Standard, the Sportster will beat the crap out of you on anything over an hour ride, while the Standard just cruises comfortably, lol. I am for upgrading to the Slim or the Standard very soon. Hope this helps. JMO🤷

The following 2 users liked this post by Lil Kim:
Graham UK (01-12-2021), Synoptic 12 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 10:04 AM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Lil Kim
I have a 2020 Iron 1200, hubby has a 2020 Standard. I've ridden both, my Sporty has NOTHING on the Standard in regards to speed, comfort, handling etc. The sporty you are ON the bike, the Standard you are IN the bike. Get the Standard, the Sportster will beat the crap out of you on anything over an hour ride, while the Standard just cruises comfortably, lol. I am for upgrading to the Slim or the Standard very soon. Hope this helps. JMO🤷
I'd rather be on the bike than 'in' the bike, especially in this generation. Not looking for speed, comfort is a 50-50 deal, and I'm not traveling to Alaska. The 48' will still be more nimble on the city streets, just my opinion. Thanks for your input.
*To be quite honest, if I were 'in' a bike back in the day, I most likely would not be here speaking with you. Irrespective of racing, there's no need to be cemented into the chassis. Just the way I see it. To me, being planted for comfort 'in' a bike is not a benchmark I consider safe at this point in life; just too many people not knowing how to drive, let alone phones, ipads, or any other device: including animals.

Last edited by Synoptic 12; 01-12-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Pugslycat01 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 03:43 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

I might as well chip in . I can say in all honesty that even if I were considerably more wealthy than I am , I wouldn't buy a new Sportster . Maybe it doesn't rain in the US but I've seen the numerous reports of low quality paint applied to bare metal that has resulted in rusty tin wear after only one year . Then there's the high incidence of collapsed wheel bearings as well . In addition, there's the issue of styling . Having yearned for a Harley for a few too many decades , I've formed a rigid mental image of what a Harley should look like . The current trend for low bars , "Humpty " little tanks with that hideous piece of plastic hanging out the bottom and everything painted black just grates on my eyes . Then there's the fat front tyres and chopped fenders that spray **** up your back . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it's true , but nothing in the showroom works for me . I appreciate that these sentiments do nothing to assist in the continued survival of Harley Davidson but there it is .

Last edited by Midpegs; 01-12-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 03:48 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Front mudguard on my bike is rusty on the underside where the bracket runs across.

It is these modern painting methods where they put on the colour coat but it just looks like a dusting coat with no clear and that is it.

I did do a small clean up on it but I shall have to take it off and inspect it again.

Old 01-12-2021 | 05:12 PM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Midpegs
I might as well chip in . I can say in all honesty that even if I were considerably more wealthy than I am , I wouldn't buy a new Sportster . Maybe it doesn't rain in the US but I've seen the numerous reports of low quality paint applied to bare metal that has resulted in rusty tin wear after only one year . Then there's the high incidence of collapsed wheel bearings as well . In addition, there's the issue of styling . Having yearned for a Harley for a few too many decades , I've formed a rigid mental image of what a Harley should look like . The current trend for low bars , "Humpty " little tanks with that hideous piece of plastic hanging out the bottom and everything painted black just grates on my eyes . Then there's the fat front tyres and chopped fenders that spray **** up your back . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it's true , but nothing in the showroom works for me . I appreciate that these sentiments do nothing to assist in the continued survival of Harley Davidson but there it is .
(A) What evidence do you have to support your suppositions? First of all, you toss up a picture of a Sportster (dated). 'Plastic hanging out the bottom'> Please elaborate of what you're speaking. You speak of fat front (tyres)<'English', yet you display a Sportster with a narrow tire. I do not believe the rear fender is chopped, maybe the front slightly but not a concern. I've viewed the 2021 Sportster, namely the 1200 48' and I found no flaws in the paint. As a matter of fact, the clear coat looked very well applied and the mils were plenty sufficient. Most all harley bikes display quality paint. Exactly what years are you referring to, seeing that you posted a picture of a dated Sportster? The least you could have done was to upload the correct bike with the terminology you refer to. 'Yearned', 'Mental' and 'Sentiments' really do not become adjoined to a Sportster or any other model. The realm you are living in is certainly in the past or does not exist. Most all bikes are going to kick up rain, no matter what fenders they wear. We do not ride in the rain but England is known for the abundance of water and clouds in their atmosphere. The 'tin' you allude to appears to be fairly good metal to me, unlike the tin in a unibody car; prove me wrong and I'll believe it. The peanut tank is no sweat off my brow for I'm not commuting to East Chimoke. The fork size has increased to I believe 49mm, so the MoCo is still working to improve. Wheel bearings are really not a big deal, and I never had problems with them. Maintenance is always part of owning any motor vehicle, whether it be a car or motorcycle. "Styling" : The Sportster 48' looks slammed to me, one of the best looking two wheelers out there. If you're contemplating other bikes, seeing that you are near wealthy, why not take a shot and design one. We,by no means are wealthy and remain to stay in the category of poor til the day we're redeemed.

Last edited by Synoptic 12; 01-12-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 05:31 PM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Front mudguard on my bike is rusty on the underside where the bracket runs across.

It is these modern painting methods where they put on the colour coat but it just looks like a dusting coat with no clear and that is it.

I did do a small clean up on it but I shall have to take it off and inspect it again.
* I would imagine that you are English as well, correct? We're still flying our "colors" and still like Mick Jagger.

Last edited by Synoptic 12; 01-12-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 02:47 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Synoptic 12
(A) What evidence do you have to support your suppositions? First of all, you toss up a picture of a Sportster (dated). 'Plastic hanging out the bottom'> Please elaborate of what you're speaking. You speak of fat front (tyres)<'English', yet you display a Sportster with a narrow tire. I do not believe the rear fender is chopped, maybe the front slightly but not a concern. I've viewed the 2021 Sportster, namely the 1200 48' and I found no flaws in the paint. As a matter of fact, the clear coat looked very well applied and the mils were plenty sufficient. Most all harley bikes display quality paint. Exactly what years are you referring to, seeing that you posted a picture of a dated Sportster? The least you could have done was to upload the correct bike with the terminology you refer to. 'Yearned', 'Mental' and 'Sentiments' really do not become adjoined to a Sportster or any other model. The realm you are living in is certainly in the past or does not exist. Most all bikes are going to kick up rain, no matter what fenders they wear. We do not ride in the rain but England is known for the abundance of water and clouds in their atmosphere. The 'tin' you allude to appears to be fairly good metal to me, unlike the tin in a unibody car; prove me wrong and I'll believe it. The peanut tank is no sweat off my brow for I'm not commuting to East Chimoke. The fork size has increased to I believe 49mm, so the MoCo is still working to improve. Wheel bearings are really not a big deal, and I never had problems with them. Maintenance is always part of owning any motor vehicle, whether it be a car or motorcycle. "Styling" : The Sportster 48' looks slammed to me, one of the best looking two wheelers out there. If you're contemplating other bikes, seeing that you are near wealthy, why not take a shot and design one. We,by no means are wealthy and remain to stay in the category of poor til the day we're redeemed.
Crikey , where to begin . Bike one is a brochure picture of the exact bike that I own , an 04 1200 Roadster . Bike 2 is a 2020 Roadster for comparison . My evidence for premature corrosion and failed wheel bearings is all collated from the Sportster Sickness FB group which has 9000 members . I use the expression Tin because it is a frequently used colloquialism for fenders and tanks which I probably acquired from this very forum but I do understand that it is really Steel . I apologize if my use of language that is not "Adjoined" to a Sportster is challenging for you but refuse to limit my vocabulary . What else ? Tell you what , its 8:43 in the morning here . If it's a slow day at work I'll compile a collage of pictures that best illustrate some of the issues raised . In the meantime , here is a picture of MY bike .

The following 2 users liked this post by Midpegs:
Graham UK (01-13-2021), Synoptic 12 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 07:11 AM
Synoptic 12
|
Cruiser
Arrow

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Crikey , where to begin . Bike one is a brochure picture of the exact bike that I own , an 04 1200 Roadster . Bike 2 is a 2020 Roadster for comparison . My evidence for premature corrosion and failed wheel bearings is all collated from the Sportster Sickness FB group which has 9000 members . I use the expression Tin because it is a frequently used colloquialism for fenders and tanks which I probably acquired from this very forum but I do understand that it is really Steel . I apologize if my use of language that is not "Adjoined" to a Sportster is challenging for you but refuse to limit my vocabulary . What else ? Tell you what , its 8:43 in the morning here . If it's a slow day at work I'll compile a collage of pictures that best illustrate some of the issues raised . In the meantime , here is a picture of MY bike .
It looks like a nice bike to me. I'm sorry I misconstrued the pictures as being a 1200 Sportster, not Roadster; my error. I'm very much aware of the terminology 'tin' and in the context which used by you. I meant no offense here. The paint on your bike looks pretty good to me. I still see a narrow front tire, not a fat tire up front. In this respect, how or why are you referring to a fat front tyre as detracting from the bike, or being a hindrance performance wise? No fat tire is on your bike, yet you elaborate upon such. The verbiage you use is not at all challenging for me, not in the least. Irrespective of the way you view the paint, you have not elaborated upon the quality when I made mention of HD having quality paint. I really cannot notice or see any flaws in the bike. As mentioned earlier, HD upped the fork size to 49mm on the 48', whereby that size is not on the bike you own. If the fork size increased on all Sportster models, there must have been a reason. I would at least like to see the pics of corrosion. All that aside, thanks much for your input. I meant no offense in my initial reply. Sometimes pride can overwhelm a person.

Quick Reply: 2021 Sportsters/ New Models