Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Hammer Kit Issues w/ Timing and TDC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Badbastard
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aswracing
Extra steel plate?

If it's installed correctly, you alternate the friction and steel plates. You never have two steel plates next to each other, nor do you ever have two friction plates next to each other.

You begin by installing a friction plate, then a steel plate, then friction plate, then a steel plate, etc, finally ending with a friction plate. When you're done, you'll have installed 9 frictions and 8 steels.

If your new clutch pack came without the correct number of frictions and/or steels, by all means, contact the company you bought it from. They can't fix a problem unless they know about it.

Like most retailers, they probably do not open the package and verify the contents of every product they sell. Customers hate to receive product that's already been opened.

I've never heard of a mistake on friction or steel counts from E1, but it's certainly possible. I'm sure the retailer will do whatever it takes to make it right. But you need to contact them.
Idk if its correct for my 883 or not. The Energy One kit came from Hammer Performance with their package and it says it's for 03 and later Buells.

Like I said. I put the energy one pack together starting on a friction and ending on a friction and the clutch wouldn't compress enough to turn the main sprocket. Added one more steel from original OEM stack after the last friction plate and now the clutch works.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 551 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbastard
Idk if its correct for my 883 or not. The Energy One kit came from Hammer Performance with their package and it says it's for 03 and later Buells.

Like I said. I put the energy one pack together starting on a friction and ending on a friction and the clutch wouldn't compress enough to turn the main sprocket. Added one more steel from original OEM stack after the last friction plate and now the clutch works.
OK well that explains it. The Buell XB clutch is different. Contact them and give them the chance to make it right.

Don't run an extra steel at the outside. That'll screw things up royally, because you'll have steel against the pressure plate. Get the right clutch.

On edit: I found it. This was a web site order. You ordered a Buell clutch. That's why you got the wrong clutch. It's not the right clutch for an XL.

Last edited by aswracing; 12-31-2020 at 09:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by aswracing:
Andy from Sandy (01-01-2021), apache snow (01-01-2021), Madnss (01-01-2021), WKNDS (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:45 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

OK well that explains it. The Buell XB clutch is different. Contact them and give them the chance to make it right.

Don't run an extra steel at the outside. That'll screw things up royally, because you'll have steel against the pressure plate. Get the right clutch.

On edit: I found it. This was a web site order. You ordered a Buell clutch. That's why you got the wrong clutch. It's not the right clutch for an XL.
I hope the OP lets us know how he makes out. Usually if the customer chose and ordered the wrong part, then installed it, they would be SOL.

Jim

Old 01-01-2021, 08:18 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 987 Posts

...snip...

Looking at the HP website, I am at a loss at how this could happen....

The website is extremely clear/concise to me using a Laptop PC.
Not sure what it might look like on a smartphone though...

http://hammerperf.com/xldrivetrain.shtml#clutches

It's good that the issue has been found.

T.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:57 AM
Badbastard
Cruiser

I did not order a clutch from that web page.

I ordered their basic performance package and specified that it was for a 2002 883 Hugger. This package came with pistons, cylinders, +15% spring clutch pack, and tuner.

​​​​I will be reinstalling my old clutch pack and calling Hammer today for a partial refund.

Last edited by Badbastard; 01-01-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:02 AM
aswracing
Road Captain

I did not order a clutch from that web page.
I ordered their basic performance package and specified that it was for a 2002 883 Hugger. This package came with pistons, cylinders, +15% spring clutch pack, and tuner.
The basic conversion package for a 2002 does not come with a clutch pack. The clutch pack was ordered separately from the basic package. And it was for a Buell clutch.

I will send you a copy of your order.

The following 2 users liked this post by aswracing:
Hal64hd (01-01-2021), perki48 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:29 AM
Badbastard
Cruiser

The basic conversion package for a 2002 does not come with a clutch pack. The clutch pack was ordered separately from the basic package. And it was for a Buell clutch.

I will send you a copy of your order.
Aw hell. This was obviously a clerical error on my part. I should have paid closer attention to what I was getting. Pushed the wrong add to cart button. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

​​​​

Last edited by Badbastard; 01-01-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:36 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

This might be one of those occasions when the company could contact the customer just to be sure they are ordering all the right parts.

Sometimes the customer is not always right!

It doesn't look overly onerous to get it sorted.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:36 AM
aswracing
Road Captain

Aw hell. This was obviously a clerical error on my part. I should have paid closer attention to what I was getting. Pushed the wrong add to cart button. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

​​​​
No worries, mate, Hammer will get you fixed up.

Last edited by aswracing; 01-01-2021 at 11:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by aswracing:
Andy from Sandy (01-01-2021), Cotten (01-01-2021), WKNDS (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:42 AM
aswracing
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
This might be one of those occasions when the company could contact the customer just to be sure they are ordering all the right parts.
Yeah, you're right, in the ideal world HAMMER would've spotted a Buell clutch being ordered together with a Sportster kit, and raised a concern with the customer.

There are three people who are knowledgeable on such things and they do customer service full time, answering phones and emails, putting together quotes, getting status for customers, providing tech support, and so forth. They're all swamped, and therefore someone else processes incoming web site orders. She pretty much writes up orders the way they come in.

Not a good excuse, I know. In the ideal world, someone knowledgeable would review all incoming orders and look for things that don't make sense. It's a growing pain kind of thing.

Quick Reply: 883 Hammer Kit Issues w/ Timing and TDC