Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking Is a problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:31 AM
Adsun
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Braking Is a problem ??

Good morning friends bikers, it's my 1 Harley and I was wondering if in terms of braking if you have a problem with braking as some Sportsters don't have an ABS braking system..

Old 12-07-2020, 03:13 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

The stopping ability on my twin front disc , non ABS Roadster is best described as adequate . I do struggle to imagine what single disc models , including the Big Twins , are like in a tight spot . I guess one becomes more rear brake oriented and more observant of what's ahead . Let's not forget that officially these bikes are designated as Cruisers although I do push mine as hard as my riding skills will allow at times .

The following users liked this post:
Adsun (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Learning process. Use both brakes alway. Few exceptions like slow speed sharp turns. Be careful. Some people say bike stop as well as cars. I have yet to believe that.

I also have yet to figure out how to turn into a skid on a bike. So I don't do silly things like go into a turn too fast. I do know when the turn is too sharp for your speed, if you let up to brake, the bike understeers more.

Makes things get out of hand real quick. And if you are going too fast and you slide, and there is no were to turn into, what do you do. A guardrail on the side of a car is liveable. On a bike, it's baddd.

Also keep in mind, even a ABS bike has limitations on the ABS as compared to a car. Read the owners manual on one about braking in turns.

Modern quality cars have both ABS and stability control. So in turns, they not only prevent will lockup but which wheel to brake the hardest. That does cause weird things however some say.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-07-2020 at 05:08 AM.
GammaRei (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:25 AM
Adsun
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's my 1 Harley and it doesn't have an ABS braking system and I've heard people say it's a little dangerous to drive

Old 12-07-2020, 04:26 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Adsun
it's my 1 Harley and it doesn't have an ABS braking system and I've heard people say it's a little dangerous to drive
Drive or ride? [said with love] 😝 *Mounting Soapbox* 😝

Try not to fixate on riding aids like ABS. These are rather recent developments... they're nice to have but, skill is more valuable. folks rode for years without all the recent cool aids and stuff. Bob Seger didn't mention ABS in his classic "Turn the Page".

Like mentioned earlier in this thread. Technique has a lot to do with your confidence and efficacy. Using both front and rear brakes contemporaneously is a skill best mastered early on. Motorcycle brand has nothing to do with that skill. A good start in this vein is the MSF Basic RiderCourse (BRC)

BRC Materials - See page 10 and 34... or read the whole pdf if you haven't already🤣:
https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/BRCHandbook.pdf

Another helpful resource-
Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough:
Amazon Amazon

Be safe. Yes, preachy but, you DO NOT want to see the down side (or high-side ) of motorcycle riding... it's no laughing matter.

" target="_blank">https://youtu.be/GONmFCkCGCc

https://youtu.be/GONmFCkCGCc https://youtu.be/GONmFCkCGCc

Last edited by cvaria; 12-07-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Adsun (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 06:33 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

I've never had ABS on a bike and I've been riding over 55 years. No problems at all if you know what you're doing. I only use two fingers on my front brake when I do use it and when I do, I ONLY USE IT WHEN GOING STRAGHT. NEVER USE YOUR FRONT BRAKE IN A TURN. If you want a good training exercise, take a mountain bicycle on dirt or gravel roads and experiment; it's the same physics. I've worn out lots of rear brakes and never a front one.
Also, if you're riding it tight turns try to stay in lower gears and let your engine do most of the braking. Use your brakes gently and as a last resort.
Remember when you were a kid learning to drive a car and you were taught to, "never overdrive your headlights"? On a motorcycle, never overdrive your skill. Plan ahead. Remember the two rules:
1. You are invisible.
2. Everyone who sees you wants to kill you.
Finally, watch out for ALL irregularities in the roads; roadkill, walnuts, sticks, puddles and shadows (may be potholes or oil spills).
Don't depend on ABS or any technical gadget to protect you.
Finally, you will wreck one day. It will happen. Anyone who says that he or she has never wrecked is a liar or has just started riding. Be prepared.

The following 2 users liked this post by boomerguy:
Adsun (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:06 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Don't depend on ABS or any technical gadget to protect you.
Finally, you will wreck one day. It will happen. Anyone who says that he or she has never wrecked is a liar or has just started riding. Be prepared.
100% factual and over-insure yourself and your bike. AGATT

Adsun (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

If it is more efficient to have a better back brake then Midpeg's bike would have twin discs on the back would it not?

Once the weight transfers forward with hard braking the rear brake becomes less efficient.

Similarly why do cars have huge discs and multi piston calipers on the front compared to the rear?

cvaria (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Most of braking comes from front . These heavy Harleys do not brake and handle like bicycles. On a Harley, in a straight like, heavy braking stops from the front mostly. Back helps but beware of rear lift. That rear will lockup in a heart beat and you don't even know it with a lot of non squeel tires. In a turn, it tries to catch the front tire and you will find yourself sliding down the road.

Adsun (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:50 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Most of braking comes from front.
Exactly why I made my comment which is counter to what boomerguy is implying wearing out his back brake all the time.

So to answer the OP, braking is usually only a problem if you don't see what is happening in front of you. If you accelerate at a green light that has been green for sometime then you could be in for a bit of a moment if it goes red!

You need to try and see a hazardous situation before it happens and ride defensively such that the brakes aren't tested every time you need to stop.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 12-07-2020 at 07:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy from Sandy:
Adsun (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Braking Is a problem ??