Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking Is a problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:00 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Exactly why I made my comment which is counter to what boomerguy is implying wearing out his back brake all the time.

So to answer the OP, braking is usually only a problem if you don't see what is happening in front of you. If you accelerate at a green light that has been green for sometime then you could be in for a bit of a moment if it goes red!

You need to try and see a hazardous situation before it happens and ride defensively such that the brakes aren't tested every time you need to stop.
My sporty is this theory personified. But, I still go with the simultaneous application front and rear philosophy. Habit and better balance. The dead Dyna had the exact same nutcase brake treatment (The 2012's brakes were very different from the 2013's setup).

Insane Mega Stoppers

Front:
Dual contoured Arlen Ness Big Brake Kits,
touring master cylinder,
full custom hand built braided Russell lines,
touring calipers,
lyndall Z+Pads,
Prestone Dot 4 (varies by year but, I went overboard)

Rear:
EBC contoured rotor,
full custom hand built braided Russell lines,
Lyndall Z+Pads
Prestone Dot 4 (varies by year but, I went overboard)

Originally Posted by cvaria

Originally Posted by cvaria

Last edited by cvaria; 12-07-2020 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adsun (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:39 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Bikes are dangerous as hell and the breaks are just one of the reasons why. Beware!

The following 3 users liked this post by misput:
Adsun (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020), duffy8540 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:42 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Most of braking comes from front . These heavy Harleys do not brake and handle like bicycles. On a Harley, in a straight like, heavy braking stops from the front mostly. Back helps but beware of rear lift. That rear will lockup in a heart beat and you don't even know it with a lot of non squeel tires. In a turn, it tries to catch the front tire and you will find yourself sliding down the road.
This is a given. It does not go against what I said. The bottom line is to NOT put yourself into a situation where you have to brake in a panic situation.

As far as comparing bicycles to motorcycles. The same laws of physics apply to both. I've been riding bicycles since 1955 and I still ride road and mountain bikes over all types of terrain and in different types of situations. I've been riding motorcycles since 1964. The first motorcycles were bicycles with a motor installed inside the frame which is exactly why the Harley engine is at 45 degrees, so it would fit. This forced the need for a single-crank pin, and narrow engine which is top heavy. Same physics. Apply the front brake harder than the rear in a turn, with or without gravel, and see what happens. This is why I said to experiment with a bicycle at slower speeds that has both, a front and rear brake.

Yes, cars have disc brakes on the front because there is a need for greater braking up front. That does not change the need for starting with the rear brake and then increase the front brake AS NEEDED, but don't apply it first. Even using only two fingers on my front brake, I can stop my bike on a dime in a straight line by maximizing the front brake.

Last edited by boomerguy; 12-07-2020 at 08:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by boomerguy:
Adsun (12-07-2020), brakeless (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:48 AM
benjamin lorenzo
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

Dude. Braking is only a problem when you expect more from them than they will give.

In time you will get a feel for them, take it easy and don't rely on the rear brake to slow down, use MORE front brake than rear when going straight to slow down.
Practice front brake in a parking lot, many many times at different speeds.

Use rear brake in parking lots and slow stuff.

Later on you will use rear only a tad once you get a good feel for cornering...

YOU DONT NEED ABS, I have spoken

The following 4 users liked this post by benjamin lorenzo:
Adsun (12-07-2020), brakeless (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020), duffy8540 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
This is a given. It does not go against what I said. The bottom line is to NOT put yourself into a situation where you have to brake in a panic situation.

As far as comparing bicycles to motorcycles. The same laws of physics apply to both. I've been riding bicycles since 1955 and I still ride road and mountain bikes over all types of terrain and in different types of situations. I've been riding motorcycles since 1964. The first motorcycles were bicycles with a motor installed inside the frame which is exactly why the Harley engine is at 45 degrees, so it would fit. This forced the need for a single-crank pin, and narrow engine which is top heavy. Same physics. Apply the front brake harder than the rear in a turn, with or without gravel, and see what happens. This is why I said to experiment with a bicycle at slower speeds that has both, a front and rear brake.

Yes, cars have disc brakes on the front because there is a need for greater braking up front. That does not change the need for starting with the rear brake and then increase the front brake AS NEEDED, but don't apply it first. Even using only two fingers on my front brake, I can stop my bike on a dime in a straight line by maximizing the front brake.
Year older than you. Guess it depend on bike. I had a VStar with dual front rotors. That bad boy was like power brakes. My Softail takes more than two fingers on the front. I have never though about hitting the rear and then the front. I just grab them both. However, I drive easily.. Never speed and when people cut in front, I just keep backing off. That takes old age to learn that. Fifty years ago, I slide tires on everything I owned and did not know why?

Have only been down once. Was 16, going across a footbridge no less to impress my squeeze who lived across a creek in WV. Hit the first part of the bridge too hard and the front tire bounced up and to the right onto the soft bank. Slid down the soft bank into the creek. Was on a 250 Zundapp.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-07-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Three brakes are better than two .

The following 2 users liked this post by Midpegs:
Adsun (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:28 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I've had four sportsters and on every single one, I've prayed I don't find myself in a tight, life-threatening situation where good brakes are needed.

If I ever find myself confident I'll keep a sporty for many years, I would definitely upgrade the brakes.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Three brakes are better than two .
I agree. Especially in mountains like WV. More heat displacement. However, note that a lot of single rotors have 4 piston calipers and big pads. So they stop well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jackie Paper:
Adsun (12-07-2020), cvaria (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Year older than you. Guess it depend on bike. I had a VStar with dual front rotors. That bad boy was like power brakes. My Softail takes more than two fingers on the front. I have never though about hitting the rear and then the front. I just grab them both. However, I drive easily.. Never speed and when people cut in front, I just keep backing off. That takes old age to learn that. Fifty years ago, I slide tires on everything I owned and did not know why?

Have only been down once. Was 16, going across a footbridge no less to impress my squeeze who lived across a creek in WV. Hit the first part of the bridge too hard and the front tire bounced up and to the right onto the soft bank. Slid down the soft bank into the creek. Was on a 250 Zundapp.
I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't use the front brake at all. I always use both brakes at the same time. I just use less pressure on the front brake lever than I do on the rear brake pedal. There is ALWAYS pressure from my two fingers, just less of it. I use my front brake for supplemental braking and I have had to use maximum pressure on it more than once but fortunately, not that often. When my foot is on the pedal, my fingers are on the lever just in case.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by boomerguy
I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't use the front brake at all. I always use both brakes at the same time. I just use less pressure on the front brake lever than I do on the rear brake pedal. There is ALWAYS pressure from my two fingers, just less of it. I use my front brake for supplemental braking and I have had to use maximum pressure on it more than once but fortunately, not that often. When my foot is on the pedal, my fingers are on the lever just in case.
I personally think I do the exact opposite. Both my front and back will slide my tires. I probably can't tell really say which is doing what. However, I may be doing what you say. I throw on pads whenever I do tires. I did notice my rear is more worn then front.

I cannot remember when I did something stupid but many have did it to me. I was in a blind turn. Traffic was stopped in on coming lane. One had given some distant and waved at a car to my right on the shoulder come across and get in. They saw him wave and didn't process could they and suddenly they were in front of me.

I came down on both brakes. It slammed me so hard fwd that my foot slammed the rear. What's crazy is rear locked, and came around on my right. Driver saw me and stopped. That turned me and someway I managed to get around in front of him using that open space without going down. Had no choice. If I had hit the guy waving, however, it would have been my fault.

However, it really hard to practice such craziness. And at my age, my bike is more a static pretty piece of art.

It probably would be in my den if RIP had not taken it over with her sewing hobby. My man cave is upstairs and I have yet to figure how to get it up there.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Adsun (12-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Braking Is a problem ??