Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 sportster 1200R what is the best all around seat for long rides

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Thomaschocho
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportster 1200R what is the best all around seat for long rides

I am in need of a new seat and want the best seat for touring and back support

Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 PM
duffy8540
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had a number of different seats on a number of different bikes.....my favorite is a Corbin dual tour. Pretty pricey though (I got mine used). My current seat is a Saddlemen Explorer Dual tour gel....almost as good as the Corbin at half the cost. Find as many different ones as you can to "test".

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (10-26-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 06:36 PM
mkayx
Road Captain
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

I have had mustang, corbin and sundowner. I am on my second sundowner

Old 10-18-2020, 11:29 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomaschocho
The best seat for touring is your carseat : ) Touring in a car is bad enough, on a motorcycle it is pure torture! Of course I did not figure that out until I was about 60 or so, slow learner dontchee know : )

Old 10-19-2020, 02:56 AM
mkayx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by misput
The best seat for touring is your carseat : ) Touring in a car is bad enough, on a motorcycle it is pure torture! Of course I did not figure that out until I was about 60 or so, slow learner dontchee know : )
touring done easy

The following users liked this post:
Acedoc (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:30 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mkayx
touring done easy
I had one of those for a while, worked great when I took it somewhere, left it set up and went to it on week ends or holidays but to set up and take down daily on a long trip was a nightmare. Two happiest days of my life, the day I bought it and the day I sold it. I now think of them as a porta potty on wheels.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 AM
mkayx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by misput
I had one of those for a while, worked great when I took it somewhere, left it set up and went to it on week ends or holidays but to set up and take down daily on a long trip was a nightmare. Two happiest days of my life, the day I bought it and the day I sold it. I now think of them as a porta potty on wheels.
cost 18k more then my house last yr 23 states 7000 miles 7 months never dtay one place just a weekend and i love being 48 debt free and not have to work but i am looking at 10 acres in ms around st. Louis bay so this coming summer take it there to talk to builders and pick the land

Old 10-19-2020, 11:24 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomaschocho
You need to list your stats when you ask questions like this. Height, weight, inseam. Some seats are taller than others. Some are wider. You need a seat that fits YOU, not ME.

But some good parameters for choosing a sportster touring seat are:
- Needs to fit your butt. If your butt hangs off the edges, it's going to cause pressure points.
- Tailbone support. Either a seat that has a higher tail area OR a back rest. Something that'll give you some support against the wind at higher speeds. Also allows you to relax a bit when cruising. I just started using a seat with a removable back rest and it's a game changer on longer rides.
- Seat should have some sort of dish type shape/feature. Some seats are flat or even convex creating pressure points.

****Even with all of the above,...you still may need to have the foam modified. Especially if you're heavier. I've had my Sporty about 5 years. Been through 5/6 seats and I'm STILL trying to dial it in.

At the moment I'm running the Mustang Vintage Wide with back rest. I'm 6', 33" inseam and 230lbs. I can flat foot and feel nice in the bike. The Wide version is 15" which is about as wide as Sporty seats come and fits my butt (I could actually us a bit more width,..but what I really need is a Road Glide! I digress....). Although this is the best "touring" seat set up I've had, the seat itself is a bit firm so I'm planning to send it out for some work.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:32 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Sundowner is pretty comfortable, but having a backrest is very nice. I'd go with a Corbin or Mustang with a backrest.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Thomaschocho
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the saddlemen explorer la seat

Quick Reply: 04 sportster 1200R what is the best all around seat for long rides