Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke Down in BF Egypt

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Broke Down in BF Egypt

I'm vacationing in western North Carolina and have been out enjoying what has to be some of the best riding roads in the US. I left this morning for a 50 mile ride over to Robbinsville, just south of the Dragon, for some sweetwater BBQ for lunch. After lunch I headed north to Deals Gap and made a south to north pass on the Dragon. After a smoke break, I returned back down the Dragon to Deals Gap and stopped for a break and something to drink. From there I headed back towards home, southeast on Hwy 28. Three miles out on the somewhat twisty 2 lane, I found myself rapidly approaching a hard 180 inside hairpinand carrying a bit to much speed and running 1 gear to high for the power I would need through the turn. A quick grab of some front brake and a fast downshift before entering the corner went fine EXCEPT there was no time for RPM matching with the downshift since my right hand was on the brake. Now no, I didn't crash or even loose control of the bike, but as I let the clutch out after the quick downshift I hear a loud Bang. Now entering the corner and twisting on some throttle, I've got RPM's and no drive to the rear wheel. Damn, broken drive belt with just over 10K miles on the bike.

After sitting on the side of the road and watching a couple dozen bikes pass by, about 1/2 Harleys,one finally stopped, carrying my broken belt. He smiles and say's "I guess this must be yours". Anyway he was nice enough to turn around and run back to Deals Gap and get a tow called.

The wait for the tow lasted 2 hours but fortunatly what showed up was a guy in a pickup and MC trailer. I've always said there was no point in carrying tools because I would never had the right ones anyway let alone the parts needed for the repair. My emergency tool kit is a cell phone & a credit card. Well the cell doesn't work for $hit in the mountains and damn if this tow guy doesn't take plastic. So I've added another recommended item to emergency kit checklist. Either a couple hundred bucks or an ATM card. Luckily I had the later.

All came out well and the guy did tow me 60 miles, one way (120 RT for him) for $175. Now all I need is a miracle that Smokey Mountain Harley has the belt in stock and can install it tomorrow (Sat.).

I'll address why I think the belt broke with you guys in a future post.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Broke Down in BF Egypt

I'm sorry to hear that!!!! Glad that you are okay!

Note to self: The kevlar belt is made to last for 100,000 miles. Never downshift in first going 40.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member

HeHe, Actually my approach was at 40mph and 3rd gear. I was braking to 25mph and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Maybe a bit hard on the clutch without rev matching but, A Broken Belt ?? WTF

Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrying three or four people on the back of your bike won't help!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL!!! Most of the broken belt and spindle bolt stories were going too fast and down shifting. You could have been from 2nd to 1st and did'nt realize it. Kinda hard to tell on a Sportie.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. But don't let your experience give you a negative view about carrying tools. Mine have come in handy for friends that needed roadside adjustments a few times now.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Naw, I was in third, engine rpm was to low before the downshift and I was crusing downhill. The rpmsound levelwould have been way higher in 2nd at 40mph. As for carrying tools, my philosophy still stands. In the last 20 years, I still haven't been in a situation where a tool pouch would have saved the day.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What's the mileage on your 04?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I have down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and felt the belt pass a few nodes/teeth because I downshifted too high.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cHarley

As for carrying tools, my philosophy still stands. In the last 20 years, I still haven't been in a situation where a tool pouch would have saved the day.
Maybe I need to ride with different people!

Quick Reply: Broke Down in BF Egypt