Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke Down in BF Egypt

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broke Down in BF Egypt

A multi-tool came in handy when one of the k&n filters came adrift on my Triton.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 PM
mzantow2000
Novice

Damn, I thought you were actually in Egypt.............I'm in Oman and we could have hooked up and taken care of ya

Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I bought the bike this Feb in showroom condition with 5300 miles on it. It now has 10,400.

Here is what I suspect caused my problem. I needed a new rear tire before my trip but ran out of time to do it myself. My indy quoted me a not to bad price of $185 for a 401 installed including tax so I let them do it just before I left. The bike went 245 miles on the new tire until the belt broke. I suspect that the indy over tightened the belt when the tire was installed and it's my fault for not double checking their work.

What do you guys think? Belt to tight?

Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOG membership. Free towing within 20 miles, not much more after that.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cHarley

I bought the bike this Feb in showroom condition with 5300 miles on it. It now has 10,400.

Here is what I suspect caused my problem. I needed a new rear tire before my trip but ran out of time to do it myself. My indy quoted me a not to bad price of $185 for a 401 installed including tax so I let them do it just before I left. The bike went 245 miles on the new tire until the belt broke. I suspect that the indy over tightened the belt whenthe tire was installed and it's my fault for not double checkingtheir work.

Maybe it's because you have too many passengers.

But seriously, it is certainly possible. More likely than it being to loose, IMO.

I suspect that if it is the case you will have no way of getting the dealer to cover it. [:@]

Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: DaveJ

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Here is what I suspect caused my problem. I needed a new rear tire before my trip but ran out of time to do it myself. My indy quoted me a not to bad price of $185 for a 401 installed including tax so I let them do it just before I left. The bike went 245 miles on the new tire until the belt broke. I suspect that the indy over tightened the belt whenthe tire was installed and it's my fault for not double checkingtheir work.

Maybe it's because you have too many passengers.

But seriously, it is certainly possible. More likely than it being to loose, IMO.

I suspect that if it is the case you will have no way of getting the dealer to cover it. [:@]
Naw, 5up on the Dragon is a bit over my skill level.

My choice now is to pay the stealer here to fix it and salvage the remaining 6 days of my vacation here or put it on the trailer and haul it home broke. Gota try for a fix here, vacation time is precious and the indy at home would probably deny responsability anyway.

Anybody know about what the stealers charge for the belt & labor?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:59 AM
ryback
Tourer

[/quote]

Anybody know about what the stealers charge for the belt & labor?
[/quote]

I've never had one done but have heard the belt was over $100 add 2-3 hrs labor, so maybe $300 -$350?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 AM
rebelnc
Cruiser

Best thing about carrying tools on a bike is the option to use them on tailgaters.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Well there is a happy ending to the story, other than the damage done to the credit card. I dropped the bike off this morning (Saturday) at Ghost Town Harley in Waynesville. These are some really nice people at this dealership. They knew I was on vacation and said they would do what they could to try and get me out today. Damn if they didn't call at 3:00 and say the bike was ready to go. I can't say enough about how great these guys & gals are there.

Anyway, the damage came to $368. $175 for the belt & $175 labor plus tax & shop supplies. They service manager said he thought the only way the belt would have broken like it did was for it to have been adjusted to tight.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too cool! Sounds like you lucked out and found a good dealer. Hope the rest of your journey is better. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Broke Down in BF Egypt