Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 low or Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:18 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 883 low or Nightster

I likea mix of black and chrome... I think too much either way can be a little monochromatic. I agree that all chrome would be contradictory to the bobber theme.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ok,so if $10K is to much then what is your budget? There is a lot of bikes available in all the ranges to $10K? The 1200 C comes with a chrome motor but I'm looking to black mine out. I like chrome also but Ilike blackto!I'm opting to get a black & chrome springer front end & buckhornsand some new wires. Not sure if they will be chrome or black yet but probably be WWI honestly don't know what kind of speed you want but am satisfied with the power in my 883C & with stage 1 opens it up more. You can always add a 1200 gear kit to cruise like the 1200 or get a 1200 kit added later,depends on your budget really. My bud just bought a nice 99' 883 hugger (low) with 3200 miles on it for $4k a lady bought and never rode. We did have to replce the gaskets in the front head & jug because they dry rotted from sitting but that took a whole day and that's cause it was a next day find out & fix it thing on a Sunday[8D]Parts are harder to find on SundayThe non rubber mount Sportsters are easy to find custom parts I have noticedIf I would have kept my 89' & sold the 06' I would have $3200 in the bike +the Springer $1500-2K & a 1200 kit $550-1K & lower the shocks to 10" for $250 my Streetsweepers $550 & and then wires & tires $1K (just guestimations) I would have $8Kish in the bike and it would be like new and the way I want it!

I opted to start with a brand new bike though so cost will be more but I'm going that route. You can buy a Custom bobber for $10K from a few manufactures (SPS) and paint it yourself but I like the fact that it will be a Sporty still when I'm done. They have been my favorite bike since I got into bikes so I'm keeping her!
Now I have driven a 04' 1200C a few times now and really most of the riding around this area the poweris really not needed at all. Alot of twisties and mountains but the extra power is always nice but IMHO not needed & I ride 2 up here on my 883C with no problem except Dawn could use a little more room to stretch but she will be on her own bike soonOnly reason I say all this is decide what you want exactly before rushing the desicion. Dawn wanted to ride then tried the Sportster and decided she didn't but now she has changed her mind since but she has a new bike still[&:]

Old 07-29-2007, 04:00 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go with what you like best that you can afford at this time. If you are ready to buy now that is. Remember you can have the coolest bike in the world but with out any money to ride it there is no point. I just bought a 95 1200 sporty and though there where alot of bikes newer and mint this bike is cheaper, had add ons and looks great. Also runs strong and did I mention cheaper.

Look for used 883 or 1200s for sell maybe that even have some stuff you want to buy already on the scoot. my2cents.

Kyle.

P.S. just got my 1st bike so may not know what I am talking about... lol

Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
SpeedCostsMoney
Intermediate

OK, I have to revamp my idea a bit. I checked with the War/Planning/Treasury department i.e. my wife on what I can do. I have made the decision to buy a Harley, but I got like no money to play with. The only thing I have is my 650r. It’s paid off and if I beg and plead, I might be able to get a little money for the switch. This leaves me only a few ways to go. Sell my bike and buy a used 883. Trade in my bike and buy a new or used 883, either way I got very little spending money.

I don’t want to dump all the money on the purchase of the bike because I would like to get some pips or a nice set of custom wheels or something. My dream here is to get an 883 and trick out like this.

If I get an 883 on the cheap and I can do the work my garage, buy some parts and be on my way to a cool looking HD. After looking at the bikes in the dealers, hearing them run, and sitting on them. I have to have a Harley now. I love my 650r but these Sporsters are just too cool. I assume the best way is the sell my 650R and buy a used 883. That’s allot of hassle but should save the most money. Will dealer’s work with trades and used bikes or do they just take trades for the new ones?

Oh by the way, I’m small dude so an 883 is a great size for me. I had a bigger bike before the 650r and I have to trade down due to weight. I really don’t need a 1200 even though they are cool as hell.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked my 89' Sportster for $3200 and drove to Iowa to get it,best deal I had found after looking for a while. I had to get it then or I probably would have spent the cash. But ended up with a new 1 [8D]It runs great and had a couple little things that needed upgraded but it was plenty rideable. Just ask the guy who has it nowThen as you have the loot you can upgrade,basically what I'm doing. Started a little slush fund for my customizing so this winter I can transform itLike I said it will also be cheaper & easierto go non-rubber mount for a project but I no longer have that option[&:]

Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 AM
SpeedCostsMoney
Intermediate

That's a nice looking ride there Twisty. That's where I am at, for a married guy with a Mortgage and a couple of car payments this might be the way to roll.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihave less than 7 grand into mine...including the purchase price. Keep in mind, mine was a stock rock when I bought it as seen in the pic below...

Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
dagz
Stage III

go with the nightster...def

Old 10-30-2007, 11:33 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lewd_Dude
Nightster would look silly with too much chrome.
As does any bike.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 AM
Tegne
Cruiser

I have a cobalt blue 1200L - my first HD. If I was walking into the showroom with a pocket full of cash today, I would buy an olive green and black Nightster. I love my current bike, so no chance of a trade-in, but I'd go for the 1200N like a shot.

Quick Reply: 883 low or Nightster