Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Sportster:Wiring LED Stop/Tail Light in addition to standard Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 10:21 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2012 Sportster:Wiring LED Stop/Tail Light in addition to standard Tail Light

Hi,i've bought a cheap (Chinese) led tail light & have had an idea to run it along with the standard tail light(2012 Superlow).
The Led light comes with Red/Blue/Black wires,i know nothing about bike electrics,so is this even possible ?.if so where would i connect it to on the bike/harness.
Cheers.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

First thing to do is get a 12 volt battery and check how the led works. With 3 wires I would assume tail light and brake light, black being ground or negative.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....t/view?id=5539

See page 5 with rear lights. Connector 93. Black = ground. R/Y red/yellow = brake light. BE blue = tail light.

Make a Y lead or get a new connector and wire both lights together. FSM will have the connector type you need and RS components will probably have it. I think it is a Tyco 070 Multilock unsealed.

HD connector list - http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...r-part-numbers

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 08-17-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:43 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
First thing to do is get a 12 volt battery and check how the led works. With 3 wires I would assume tail light and brake light, black being ground or negative.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....t/view?id=5539

See page 5 with rear lights. Connector 93. Black = ground. R/Y red/yellow = brake light. BE blue = tail light.

Make a Y lead or get a new connector and wire both lights together. FSM will have the connector type you need and RS components will probably have it. I think it is a Tyco 070 Multilock unsealed.

HD connector list - http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...r-part-numbers
I'll plod my way through it, thanks for the help & info.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:34 AM
Elzer0
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I run dual running lights / brake lights without cutting into the stock wiring on my 2014 sporty. Instead of cutting into the wires I bought a couple plugs (male and female) and made Bridge piece that splits, one end going to stock light, other wiring my secondary light. I'll see if I can find a sketch of when I was working it out

Old 08-18-2020, 03:58 AM
Elzer0
Advanced

You can get the idea from this, one end male plug, that plug into the stock harness, other end female plug that allows the stock rear light to plug into it

Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Elzer0

You can get the idea from this, one end male plug, that plug into the stock harness, other end female plug that allows the stock rear light to plug into it
Thanks,i'm just starting to figure out the best way to do it without altering the original wiring,i'll report back.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Elzer0
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
Thanks,i'm just starting to figure out the best way to do it without altering the original wiring,i'll report back.
Two plugs and it's pretty easy.

Plugs depend on your year bike I'm guessing.

See wiring of 2014 model, just have to work out what wire does 2hat on the other acm brake light

Old 08-18-2020, 11:16 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Graham if you take the tail light off, two screws you will see where it plugs in. In that 4 wire connector, connector 93 that I pointed out above, you can make a Y lead such that will allow the tail light to go in one side and the other will go to your new light.

When you are done you will be able to return the bike to stock if required.

The following users liked this post:
Elzer0 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Graham if you take the tail light off, two screws you will see where it plugs in. In that 4 wire connector, connector 93 that I pointed out above, you can make a Y lead such that will allow the tail light to go in one side and the other will go to your new light.

Thanks Andy,that sounds simple enough,even i should be able to manage it .

Old 08-25-2020, 05:41 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Elzer0
Two plugs and it's pretty easy.

Plugs depend on your year bike I'm guessing.

See wiring of 2014 model, just have to work out what wire does 2hat on the other acm brake light
the same

I took the Light apart & the wiring is as ElzerO posted & the new Led light is same colour convention,i think to keep it all stock i'll try to buy a new connector cable & butcher that so i have the original to plug back in,so it looks like i'll be at the mercy of the Dealers .
Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 2012 Sportster:Wiring LED Stop/Tail Light in addition to standard Tail Light