Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent electrical problem? 2005 883

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:58 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Hankthetank
Yeah I will keep y’all updated, though it may be a week or two before I figure it out since I work out of town. I feel like it happens when the bike is at its hottest point. Now that I’m thinking about it I remember one time at night my headlights would go dim and surge back to bright. I will have the bike apart anyways and will check/clean all the connections I see. I will be able to visually inspect my stator and stuff as well while Putting in the extra clutch plate kit. kind of leaning towards the voltage regulator, I know the battery is charging I read the volts I can’t quite remember how high they got back I think it was in the neighborhood of 15.
Extra Plate Clutch Kit , good move . What make are you using ? I used an Energy One kit which squeals a little bit but only if you haven't bothered to change down when negotiating a roundabout . ( Circular intersection 😁 ) Good luck with the Gremlins .

Old 08-12-2020, 03:10 PM
farmerChet
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I will keep y’all updated, though it may be a week or two before I figure it out since I work out of town. I feel like it happens when the bike is at its hottest point. Now that I’m thinking about it I remember one time at night my headlights would go dim and surge back to bright. I will have the bike apart anyways and will check/clean all the connections I see. I will be able to visually inspect my stator and stuff as well while Putting in the extra clutch plate kit. kind of leaning towards the voltage regulator, I know the battery is charging I read the volts I can’t quite remember how high they got back I think it was in the neighborhood of 15.
The ignition module can cause the symptoms you described, and it will specifically act up when it gets warm/hot.
They can completely fail and take minutes to work again, or never work again.
Don't know where it is on a 883, but on a 1200 I think it is (down) by the battery.

Have seen forum messages about using a hair dryer to heat the ignition module and test if it cuts out or not.

If it is the problem, you can get stranded at the worst possible time.

After I had mine towed back home I replaced the ignition module, static timed it, and it runs great now.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:13 PM
Hankthetank
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmerChet
The ignition module can cause the symptoms you described, and it will specifically act up when it gets warm/hot.
They can completely fail and take minutes to work again, or never work again.
Don't know where it is on a 883, but on a 1200 I think it is (down) by the battery.

Have seen forum messages about using a hair dryer to heat the ignition module and test if it cuts out or not.

If it is the problem, you can get stranded at the worst possible time.

After I had mine towed back home I replaced the ignition module, static timed it, and it runs great now.
well I will be replacing the ignition module with my kit anyway since stock on my year isn’t adjustable. I don’t know how that would tie in with my starter not working sometimes, or maybe it’s two different issues but went the starter acts up the other problems show up shortly after.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:29 AM
Hankthetank
Novice

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Extra Plate Clutch Kit , good move . What make are you using ? I used an Energy One kit which squeals a little bit but only if you haven't bothered to change down when negotiating a roundabout . ( Circular intersection 😁 ) Good luck with the Gremlins .
it squeals?

Old 08-24-2020, 10:05 AM
Hankthetank
Novice

well I will be replacing the ignition module with my kit anyway since stock on my year isn’t adjustable. I don’t know how that would tie in with my starter not working sometimes, or maybe it’s two different issues but went the starter acts up the other problems show up shortly after.
300 miles later I haven’t had the problem. Have a new ignition module which I needed anyways for the 1275 conversion. And a voltage regulator.