Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few sporty questions:

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
LittleBrother
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default few sporty questions:

Don't post much but I do read LOTS on this site, so first I must thank all the knowledgeable people who have answered my questions before I've even had to ask.

Ok i'm planning on buying (hopefully this week) the V&H Straightshots Slip-ons and an air cleaner. My question is i'm having a hard time finding one that works besides the screaming eagle one (BTW I have a 07 XL1200N) any suggestions would be grand.

At first I plan on doing my 1000 mile service (which will most likely be a 1200 mile service haha) and putting my pipes on myself. Then in the middle or late august i plan on doing a stage 1. My main questions seem to be a repeat, but I'm just looking for a bit of clarity. The proformance of my bike now its great (for me i suppose, i'm 22 and that bike goes plenty fast for me haha) If I understand correctly stage 1 will make the bike run cooler and make it breath better. I main goals are louder pipes (and i understand those V&H's will do this) and it to run cooler. I read a lot about fuelpak, sert, pcIII and I remember i'm not looking for more proformance (though i understand that the stage 1 will increase proformance which i'm ok with) but I just want to be clear that i don't need these EFI mods to accomplish the task of cooling the engine down. I also understand the difference between degrees of cool. I know a EFI mod may make it even cooler, but I would like to know that stage 1 alone will cool it at least a bit.

Maybe i'm not understanding what I read right, but just looking for some clarity

thanks again

-LB

Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 AM
STEG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: few sporty questions:

I know nothing about EFI but If you want louder go with the shortshots If you want power go with a 2 into 1 V&H makes nice stuff,

just not for my model year[:@][>:]

Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 PM
LittleBrother
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddie has the shortshots and i love the sounds. can't wait to get mine

-LB

Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, I didn't really understand what the questions were. It seemed like you were asking what kind of AC kit to get to work with the V&H slip-ons. And what else?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To make the bike louder, you just need the pipes, and no EFI mods. To make it run cooler, you'll need to replace the air cleaner, and when you do that, you'll need the EFI mods. The reason the Stage 1 helps the bike run cooler is because when you open up the air flow you can eliminate the lean setup the bikes have when manufactured.

If you increase the amount of air going into the combustion area (by replacing the air cleaner), you'll have to increase the amount of fuel also. Traditionally, this has been done by re-jetting the carb, but in your case you'll need to remap the EFI computer. Then you can adjust the bike to not run in a lean condition, thus reducing operating temp.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:38 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What sporty said is right on.... There are many good options for high-flow air cleaner kits. The Sreamin Eagle kit has proven very effective. If you want a different look with the performance, you could go with a Forcewinder,D&M Custom, etc. (cone style filter). Check out your dealers aftermarket "Big Book." They should have one at the parts counter.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 AM
MikesDad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would just replacing the stock filter with a K&N have the same effect as switching over to the SE AC? Damn air cleaners are expensive.[:'(]