Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer front end on sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020 | 07:36 PM
Kotagirl72
|
Intermediate
Default Springer front end on sportster

I have been thinking of customizing one of the sportsters. One is a 2005 1200XL and the other is a 2013 883R. I enjoy riding the 1200 a lot more and have been looking at putting a springer front end on it. What are pros and cons if anyone out there has done this. I'm also wanting to lower the back end and give it more of the chopper look. I know I could put the slammers on the rear but I was hoping that I could find something that wouldn't compromise the ride where I would be hurting after riding.

I'd love to hear thoughts and comments on this before ordering all the parts and finding out I hate it.

I have a 2007 Softail Springer Custom and I know it's a heavier bike but to me the front end doesn't beat me when I'm riding like the sportster does.

Old 05-30-2020 | 07:52 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

Short wheelbase is why the Sporty beats you,a pogo stick up front isn't going to help and handling will suffer.

The following users liked this post:
Kotagirl72 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020 | 08:10 PM
Kotagirl72
|
Intermediate

I'm 5'7 137lbs, is there anything that you would do to help improve the ride quality. I feel every small bump in the road through the front end. After 2 fusions in my neck and riding for a few hours, my neck has about had it at the end of the ride.

The only thing I can think of is I'm the 3rd owner of the bike and I don't think the inner shock springs have been replaced. My fork seals look like they might need to be replaced and have been leaking some. Would replacing the seals and spring along with new oil help with this issue?

Old 05-31-2020 | 09:47 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member

OP This could be possible.

1) The Springer front end, more than likely will increase roughness.
2) Shorter rear shocks, more than likely will increase roughness.
3) Yes, new front springs (but at what spring rate?) Progressive Suspension brand for $100 maybe worth a try.
4) Oil change and new fork seals...yes. IMO use 10 weight fork oil viscosity, new seals may reduce stiction.
5) Rear suspension...no easy answer, eg spring rate, travel length, compression and rebound settings, especially since you mention stance/ style.

Maybe the best first option is to try a new seat, even a sprung seat, but also do your fork oil and seal change as needed maintenance.
Also research was is termed the "riders triangle" relationship of foot pegs, handle bars, and seat to rider comfort....just changing the handle bar angle may help your neck discomfort immensely.
Weight of your helmet and wind buffeting may also be consideration to alleviate your discomfort.

Good luck.

Old 05-31-2020 | 02:48 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

My best advise would be to sell one or both Sportsters and get a smoother riding big twin Superglide.
Sort of like a Sporty on steroids but a much nicer ride and not as top heavy so less fatigue and pain.
You'll also love the low end torque curve compared to the more high strung Sportster engine,makes taking off easy peasy.
I've owned my share of Sportys and still have an old '74 Iron but there no comparison to the ride quality of a Super.

Old 05-31-2020 | 08:53 PM
Longplay
Tourer

One thing about your neck issues. I also have a titanium plate at C5/C6. I have found that riding with my full face HD helmet to be part of the problem in my neck as well. If you ride with a helmet, consider the option of a half helmet if you can. Cutting even 1/2 pound off of your neck strain will for sure be felt as a benefit, and I know the downside is less head protection. Life is a series of choices...

I put a Sundowner 2 up seat with a driver back rest on my Superlow. With it back there, it kind of touches my back a bit and reminds me all through the ride to lean back and relax. That as much as anything takes the neck strain down to a more manageable level.

I added forward controls, rolled the bars back a little bit, and put on the Sundowner with back rest. Changed the neck pain to a large degree. I am still going to put risers on the bars to get them closer to me so I can sit more straight, mainly to keep the head and helmet directly over the lower spine area. I notice that if I do that, stretching my hands as much as possible, my neck is a LOT more comfortable, but I feel MUCH LESS safe with my hands almost not able to reach the brake while leaned back. So due to my location NOTHING is available here unless I can carve it out of wood.... so I am awaiting this Covid junk to be out of the way so my brother can hop on a plane and come back for a visit. He has one suitcase almost half full of things I have bought for the workshop and for the bike that I cannot get here for love nor money........