Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a Sportster Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 06:03 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosienando
I am just now looking at all this, this is motivating as heck. I'm about to embark on a nice 3k+ trip. I will upload some photos from the journey! Thanks for the replies and insights.

Good luck, and safe riding along the way. Make sure to check ahead for park closures, etc. If you ride the 1 up there, don't push your luck on gas, every once in a while, there are some 10-15 mile gaps between stations. A small bottle carried, might save the day. Be prepared for some hefty (I thought so anyway) tolls in the Bay area, so have cash on hand.

Check out the elephant seals on the coast in the Hearst Castle area (north of Cambria) there are brown park signs on the hwy, to show you where, but you have to be looking for them.

Also want to check put Alices Restaurant in Woodside south of San Mateo, in the Bay area. Its worth the slight out of the way detour. We stopped there on our trip last summer. I apologize can't recall the name but another member here gave me the heads up on this place.

Keep us updated.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:06 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh yea, take frequent butt breaks. Lol

The following users liked this post:
Rosienando (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 10:21 PM
Rosienando
Novice
Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that. I will definitely remember this.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:52 AM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 939 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Based on my recent experience of touring in the UK , one thing I would advise you to do is spray a little water dispersant around your electrical connectors especially around the tank area . I rode for half a day in torrential rain and parked my bike up for another day in the rain . As a result I developed an electrical fault that I could have well done without . I eventually traced it to water in a connector that was turning the clocks on with the key out and consequently draining the battery. So although the big stuff like crank and pistons might go on for ever , it's the little things like a Deutsch connector that can spoil the trip .
Very good advice here.
15 minutes with some dielectric grease can go a long way towards keeping the electrical gremlins at bay.

The following users liked this post:
Rosienando (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 05:39 PM
Rosienando
Novice

As many as needed of course!

Old 08-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Rosienando
Novice

will do, I'm carrying two little reserve bottles and making sure I do some research. Thanks for the advice. I'll post pics from the journey for sure.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:45 PM
Rosienando
Novice

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Based on my recent experience of touring in the UK , one thing I would advise you to do is spray a little water dispersant around your electrical connectors especially around the tank area . I rode for half a day in torrential rain and parked my bike up for another day in the rain . As a result I developed an electrical fault that I could have well done without . I eventually traced it to water in a connector that was turning the clocks on with the key out and consequently draining the battery. So although the big stuff like crank and pistons might go on for ever , it's the little things like a Deutsch connector that can spoil the trip .
Much Obliged!

Old 08-31-2020, 05:47 PM
Rosienando
Novice

Originally Posted by DK Custom
You've got the biggest weakness of the Sporty taken care of (clutch rivets). Like has been said, do the maintenance, make sure you're comfortable (see The Comfort Triangle Link ) and ride til you can't anymore!

Here's a LINK to a 2000+ mile, 7 day trip I took on my Sporty. Lots of photos.

photo taken right before leaving-

Here's a video from another 1,000 mile trip on the Sporty-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFuBV6jXxAw

That's a beautiful bike u got there! Thanks!

Old 09-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Rosienando
Novice

Here are some pics from the trip, it went swimmingly if I do say so myself. Can't wait to head out again.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:45 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Ha, I thought, that scenery sure looks familiar. I lived in the Antelope Valley, for 37 years. High desert!

So where all did ya go?

Quick Reply: Advice for a Sportster Adventure