Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL 883 R what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: XL 883 R what's the deal?

Bill: No, you didn't miss anything. You have the marketing department of H-D figured out. If you are in the market yourself, save a big step and just go ahead and buy the 1200 R first. I did make the mistake of buying a 883 C and was just a little dissatisified in riding it. I liked it, but I didn't? I was gradually rebuilding it into a Roadster configuration when I figured out what I was doing. I stopped and bought the 1200 R. What a delight to ride! It is a true "riders" bike right out of the box.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill in SC

.... "Lift the stand, twist the throttle, and just like that, it’s Saturday night at the racetrack." ....
If you scrunch up your face real hard and scream "VROOOM, ERRRK, VROOOOOOM!!!!" you don't even have to lift the stand...lol

Old 11-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Bill in SC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice Big Cholla, and advice I will heed! And, freaking hilarious JamieWG!! :-)
Bill in SC

Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm the odd ball here. I love the checkered graphics on the 883R, especially with the blacked out engine and forks. To me it looks like a total throw back. My dealer has one in stock now and I was considering getting it for my fiance because she really loves the way it looks and has been wanting a bike of her own for quite sometime now. I told her she can have her choice...a Harley or a big diamond ring...I know what I'd pick...lol.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Bill in SC
Intermediate

That's the key WarriorHD. You said: "To me it looks like a total throw back"
To me that's like taking a street car and putting stickers and a number on it and calling it a race car. I'm my opinion, any R designation should indicate performance mods rather than appearence mods.. This could be very misleading to newbies, and I'm sure this ploy was designed to do just that...
Bill in SC

Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bougth a 883 C. Glad I did, the bigger tank sure comes in handy. I firmly believe that you should buy what satisfies you, or is practicle for your situation. Thas why I bought a 883, I'll make it a 1200 for less money, blister a factory 1200's a** and pay insurance on a 883.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Bill in SC
Intermediate

I absolutely agree that you should buy what suits you. I like the big twins, but personally would rather have a Sportster because they are dicy, nimble, and quick compared to the big twins. One term I hear that I don't like other than the Sportsters are "girl bikes", is that Sportsters are great "starter bikes". I figure a "starter bike" would be a bicycle, dirt bike, or any other small bike that helps a person learn to ride. Assuming that you can ride a bike to begin with, and you plan on eventually own a big twin, I would not buy a Sportster for a "starter bike".. Get what you want, and suits you to begin with...
Bill in SC

Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jealousy is an ugly thing. Those that throw off on the Sportster are the ones that have been on a group ride, regardless of the size of the group and realized they paid "x" amount of $ more for their bike than the Dude or Chick did for their Sporty, and they got blistered all day by the "Starter Chick" bike. I have yet not been able to stay with the bigger bikes on a run. Around where I live and ride, the Mountains are a very popular destination. I'm talking curves that are posted 10mph. Every ride I end up coasting most of the way, waiting on sloptails and Dynaturds to negotiate the corners. Sorry y'all I'm just poking back at the big Hawgs!!!! It's all in fun, if I rode interstate I'd most definantly have something other than my Sporty.
Look up pococj, here on the board, PM him about taking the 883 to a 1200. Then decide what you think is best.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to agree with you Bill. The R should be more than just stickers. LOL. Perhaps that should call it the 883 Stickers...lol.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:33 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me that's like taking a street car and putting stickers and a number on it and calling it a race car. I'm my opinion, any R designation should indicate performance mods rather than appearence mods..
This is inappropriate and offtopic, but that so reminds me of kids with their Honda civics. Put the "R" emblem on and it's a super speed racer; if it has the proper stickers of course.

Quick Reply: XL 883 R what's the deal?