Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary, cam and sprocket covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary, cam and sprocket covers

okay guys on my bike the stock covers show some affects from sitting for years. I am looking into getting the chrome covers tht go over the existing primary and cam, and then the replacement chrome cover for the sprocket. I know these things say easy installation, but is this job something I should save for the winter. I have found great deal on all 3 pieces, so it is hard to pass up. what fluids do I have to drain, where do I get to the drain plugs for them?

any help or advice would be appreciated

Old 07-20-2007, 09:28 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Default RE: primary, cam and sprocket covers

My other option is to ride it out for the rest of this year, skip the covers, and do the complete chrome pieces this winter, including the6 piece rocker cover set (if I can figure out how to get them off without dropping the motor, tight fit in there to get an allen wrench in.) for about 1542.00 minus whatever the MVP discount gets me.......

does anyone have any feedback for me about the covers that go over existing covers? do they look cheap? what is the quality like?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them ((covers), and I think they look great.

However, I did not install them myself. In my experience when something says "easy installation", it generally isn't. but I am NOT mechanically inclined. $1542 seems like quite a bit of money, and I would rather opt for the covers.

rob

Old 07-20-2007, 10:12 AM
STEG
Road Captain

[align=center]
[/align]
they didnt line up exactly right on my bike but both are trim pieces, i cant help you with the primary because they didnt make a trim and i have to buy a chrome replacement which will probably total 475 once installed by the dealer. as for the rocker boxes im myself wont do them until I do the 90ci conversion from NHRS on my 883...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:20 AM
STEG
Road Captain

close up

Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Redsman777
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the chrome covers on my 07 883c the other day. I think they look great and were pretty straightforward to install. You don't ever remove the original covers and the primary cover only uses four screws. You do have to remove the clutch cable, which was a little sticky and I did have to change the primary fluid because some spilled out when I took the clutch cable out. I got mine from surdyke for 185 bucks for all 3 covers. I will post some pics when I can. Raining right now. I had no alignment problems on mine.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Redsman777

I just put the chrome covers on my 07 883c the other day. I think they look great and were pretty straightforward to install. You don't ever remove the original covers and the primary cover only uses four screws. You do have to remove the clutch cable, which was a little sticky and I did have to change the primary fluid because some spilled out when I took the clutch cable out. I got mine from surdyke for 185 bucks for all 3 covers. I will post some pics when I can. Raining right now. I had no alignment problems on mine.
Im curious and I know I need to get teh manuals for my bike but............I just havent yet lol. Is it very much to removing the clutch cable and installing the cover?

wayne

Old 07-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Redsman777
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that bad. You do have to remove it at the primary case and the handle. Just take off the derby cover to get at the clutch cable assembly, unscrew the plate inside and unhook the cable. Then unscrew it from the primary case. You will lose some fluid from the hole you pull the clutch cable out of, so I just drained it all and added a quart to make sure it was at the right level. And don't overtighten the clutch cable when you screw it back into the primary cover. I broke one and had to by a new one because I tightened it too much.

BTY, You may try to do a search for a pdf version of a manual from an 06 custom. I saw it on here, but I forgot where. Lots of the basic stuff looks like it is the same for most of the bikes.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

Thanx.....ya I downloaded a pdf manual file from someone on the site...thanx for the heads up on over tightening the cable

wayne

Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer

who is surdyke, a member on here, website?

I am curious....

I looks like I am going to go the cheaper route, and do the covers, if I don't liek them I don't have that much invested. I know the sprocket cover is a direct replacement, so it will be the cam and primary covers that will be my concern

Quick Reply: primary, cam and sprocket covers