Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

risers and drag bar combos

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
cleanandsimple00
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default risers and drag bar combos

I have a 2000 1200 sportster. I purchased 24 inch drag bars for it and i'm having a hard time figuring out what risers to get so that the switches don't smack my peanut tank. I like the shorter bars but i think 24 inch may be to short. Let me know what risers will work to keep the bars a low and level so that my bars don't smack my tank. Thanks Shawn. sorry for the noeb questions. I didn't have very good luck researching.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 PM
STEG
Road Captain
Default RE: risers and drag bar combos

dont worry about bieng a n00b we were all once and some (like myself) still are

as for drags I have 32 inch wide drags with a slight pullback (18 degrees) with stock risers (and forward controls), i kinda like the wider bars more , but the shorter ones look good too, if you go wider and relocate the turn signals to the forks as i did, it will be a whole lot cheaper says the dealer, good looking harley risers add 120$ and then you'll need a different speedo mount i spent roughly 500$ (dealer installed) on my bars including braided cables from drag and the turn signal relocation... the bars themselves were a mere 28$ (flanders drags) i will post pics tommorow once i get the new seat on....

It was almost worth the money the bike is twice as fun to ride as it was with the buckhorns and a whole lot more stable

I only saw one drawback about this i dunno if it was the bars or the new stealth grips i had put on but my thumbs hurt after riding for a lil while

Old 07-21-2007, 12:31 PM
STEG
Road Captain

Heres some pictures of mine with stock risers
[center]

Old 07-21-2007, 12:50 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I think the 24's might require a riser, with the 32" you will be fine with the stock riser even if you don't relocate the signals.
And Killah, that looks much better with the new bars, kinda makes the back end look heavy nowwith the bags.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
STEG
Road Captain

thanks a lot hotlap, im glad it was money well spent

Old 07-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Drodd8
Tourer

Hey Killah, that does look sweet. How is the riding position? I am thinking about doing the same thing with my 1200N, but was concerned that I would be leaned way forward, ala crotch rocket[:@]

Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM
STEG
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Drodd8

Hey Killah, that does look sweet. How is the riding position? I am thinking about doing the same thing with my 1200N, but was concerned that I would be leaned way forward, ala crotch rocket[:@]
As long as you have forwards its kinda like

(its the best i could come up with[&:])

I'm just leaned a little more forward than either of them because of the low risers, The hand controls are basically an inch behind the foward foot controls, and i can see half of my head in the gas cap when i look down I'll try to get a picture of me on it but no ones home to help me.[>:] It doesn't make you look to crotch rockety with the harley exhaust note IMO

With mids its more racier and sportier than forwards, hotlap would be the one to talk to if you have mids

Old 07-21-2007, 05:16 PM
STEG
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

I think the 24's might require a riser, with the 32" you will be fine with the stock riser even if you don't relocate the signals.
And Killah, that looks much better with the new bars, kinda makes the back end look heavy now with the bags.
Hope it dosent get too heavy i'll need more weight in the front if i do the 90ci conversion from NHRS to my 883 over the winter, I think that could be a little excessive considering I saw gothmetalguitarist talking about his 1250 conversion and the front end going up....1474 could be a little much

Old 07-21-2007, 07:28 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

get 4.5" straight risers.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Drodd8
Tourer

Thanks for the info bro. I do have mids, and wanted to get a bit racier but without going to far, me thinks that I will be ordering some new bars.

Quick Reply: risers and drag bar combos