Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob digital gauge on sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 01:34 AM
sntpz
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Furious George can you confirm you installed the speedo of this picture in a sportster model? We've been talking about two different models and I want to avoid confusions. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:29 AM
Furious George
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sntpz
@Furious George can you confirm you installed the speedo of this picture in a sportster model? We've been talking about two different models and I want to avoid confusions. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, it wasn't that one. I installed the one Patm2140 posted. It's a direct swap with the stock speedo.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:36 AM
sntpz
Stage IV

Thanks for your help though!

Old 06-19-2020, 12:39 AM
clarktheshark
Stage IV

Hey TC777, I'm really interested in this conversion myself. I don't wrench, but was assured by a tech at an HD Dealership that it could be done. Unfortunately, he got cold feet and now I'm left with trying to figure out where I should go from here. I really don't want to ditch this idea, so I'm trying to gain as much insight as to what major obstacles this conversion presents.

Any tips or photos regarding the wiring? My sportster already has the digital speedo/tach combo with fuel gauge, so I'm hoping that's already setting me up in the right direction... Thanks in advance!

Last edited by clarktheshark; 06-19-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:42 AM
clarktheshark
Stage IV

Originally Posted by TC777
Yea, but I'd rather have the street Bob low pro speedo. Which I bought, decided to just say screw it and tear right in, and it works. Only issue now is the VIN err message. So new question, anybody ever been able to delete the VIN err code with any success?
Hey TC777, I'm really interested in this conversion myself. I don't wrench, but was assured by a tech at an HD Dealership that it could be done. Unfortunately, he got cold feet and now I'm left with trying to figure out where I should go from here. I really don't want to ditch this idea, so I'm trying to gain as much insight as to what major obstacles this conversion presents.

Any tips or photos regarding the wiring? My sportster already has the digital speedo/tach combo with fuel gauge, so I'm hoping that's already setting me up in the right direction... Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2020, 04:15 PM
_DarkStar_
Stage II
Talking

I would like to do the same. It would be an interesting mod.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:13 AM
Elzer0
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you ever manage to fix the problem with VIN error? or is this due to the speedo being for a Canbus system and you have a pre canbus model?

is the plug from the speedo to the harness the same plug, but just needs the plugs wired differently? (moved to different pins)?

There is a thread about this speedo on a sportster - it can be done (trying to get details to do it myself)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ar-speedo.html

Last edited by Elzer0; 08-26-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:55 PM
mrivera86
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 pin to 4 pin connector

how did you connect it from the 5 pin plug to 4 pin plug, is there a conector for that or did you solder wires and which ones exactly.. trying to install on 2021 1200 iron but plugs are different

Old 02-16-2022, 08:18 PM
TC777
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mrivera86
how did you connect it from the 5 pin plug to 4 pin plug, is there a conector for that or did you solder wires and which ones exactly.. trying to install on 2021 1200 iron but plugs are different
Just experimenting at this point but I didn't use the white wire, I just color matched the others. It seems to work, dummy lights all work, I still have the vin error message, but I have a Thundermax unit coming to me which doesn't use the Harley vin information, so we'll see how that goes. I have the risers from a 2021 Softail which bolt right up and work with stock size sporty handlebars. I'm supposed to get the Thundermax Friday so I'll update this weekend when everything's hooked up. Here's a picture of it as it sits out of the riser.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:49 PM
TC777
6th Gear

Nevermind, did a bit more reading and Thundermax does use a vin, just ordered a new gauge, I'll update once I have everything installed.

Quick Reply: Street Bob digital gauge on sportster