Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW sportster overdue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020 | 03:28 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Hmmm, now Christianity brings hope, no matter what happens here, so I wonder what "religions" teach global warming?

Old 03-05-2020 | 03:43 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Let's stick to motorcycles, leave the theological questions for your pastor.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-05-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2020 | 04:08 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by handirifle
Including the drum brakes? I have no qualms with a powertrain update, but please do not style it with a beak or something else as stupid looking.

I remember what many call the "good old days" of cars. Ignition Point systems that had to be checked every few months, or that shorted out every time it rained, bias ply tires, poor drum brakes and outright sloppy engine tolerances. I remember when 100,000 miles was a hallmark to celebrate. Not its hohum. I have over 250,000 miles on my 2005 Accord, and it runs as strong as day one when we bought it new. The only work on it has been 2 timing belt changes at the required 100,000 mile intervals. Number 3 will becoming up in about a year.

Electronics can be a PITA to troubleshoot but they have become so reliable it almost becomes moot.
I was kinda joking but I'd love to ride a bike like that if I could afford one .

Old 03-05-2020 | 07:26 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

John would be happy to answer your question on a PM if you are interested.

Old 03-05-2020 | 07:32 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Midpegs
I know you're across the big lake, but there was a 70's model iron head on my local craigslist until about a week ago, that was up for $2400. I did not figure it would last long.

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 10:31 AM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

I will never by an electric bike or car, sorry. To me it is not a solution.
Understood. That's why I said it might be a solution but maybe not. I look at that bike and figure it would work for maybe half of my riding. For the other half the bike needs to go 200 miles at highway speeds without unreasonable delays. A full fledged Livewire might be able to do that, but I've already got two bikes that together cost 60% less and they regularly make those trips without issue.
They have indoctrinated the younger generations to the point of having them scared of the future. Sad, and the EVs are part of it.
I can't say you are wrong. What's really sad is that if you look at the whole environmental picture the electric vehicles and windmills are worse for the environment than internal combustion engines, but that all gets swept under the rug. One study showed that the total lifetime energy inputs for a Prius were greater than for a Hummer H2.

Last edited by Pugslycat01; 03-06-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Clarified that multiple bikes combined cost is less than Livewire, not each bike.
Old 03-06-2020 | 10:36 AM
Spivitz
Seasoned HDF Member

I do miss my 1998 XL1200S

point of my post, they should bring it back as the
XL1900S

Old 03-06-2020 | 11:15 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Pugslycat
My points exactly. The mining for the materials they use are some of the most destructive methods available. That is not even getting into production. In spite of what some politicians want to claim, NOTHING is free. We will pay for EVs one way or another, in cost or the environment. Just recently learned of the African countries mining cobalt, and using small children to gather it. Often crawling into crevices too small for adults. This have been documented and even lightly covered in documentary expos. Quite a number of these children have died as a result.

We have solar on our home, along with a Tesla Powerwall battery. We were pissed when we learned about these methods, and I questioned the tech rep about it at Tesla. He got uncomfortable real quick and claimed Tesla is doing "everything they can" to end this practice.

I have no qualms with the epa stepping in to clean the air. I lived in Los Angeles county during the 70's. We live about 70 miles north of LA, in a high desert, protected from LAs weather by mountains. When we had to drive to LA for whatever, the smog was horrible. You could not see the city from the mountains. I am and have always been a fan of solar, just do not want it shoved down our throats.

So not all of what they do is bad, they have just gotten out of control with their regulations. EVs make sense in large dense cities, like NY and LA and plenty others. Out here there are cities that are passing laws that in 10 yrs there will be no ICE sold. Thats moronic because, one, these things are not cheap, and lithium is not getting cheaper, it more than it was 2 yrs ago. We got our Powerwall for $5000 and was $2000 to install. Now folks are telling me they are being quoted $8-9,000 for the battery, and $4-5000 for the install. Yet there are those that still want to force everyone to buy this. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford all this, but many cannot.

Anyway, back on topic.

Spivitz
I think the big hurdle for your idea, a good one I believe, is the width of the powerplant. Why not buy a 103" Dana and build your own "S"? The Danas are really big twin sportsters in many ways. Taller rear shocks, longer fork dampers, with upgraded components. Maybe a stage 2 setup with some higher revving cams, and headwork to match. Maybe add the front brake system from a SG for the dual disks.

The following users liked this post:
Spivitz (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 11:24 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

One thing I think, for sportier bikes, is the MoCo needs to figure out where to put the stinking exhaust pipes. Look at many of the import V twins, like Ducatti, KTM, etc and the exhaust really blends with the flow of the bike and is away from the riders legs. I know on our bikes the look of the pipes is part of the overall appeal, but I do not think the younger customers feel the same way. Us old guys are fading out of the picture, so they need to appeal to the younger set.

Since they are redesigning the whole bike, design the heads to point the exhaust somewhere to be hidden. Maintenance on these bikes will be more inline with imports, so a lot of DIYers will have less and less they can do, but this is progress, right?

Old 03-06-2020 | 11:46 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

John would be happy to answer your question on a PM if you are interested.
Why would you make a statement like this?

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: NEW sportster overdue!!!