Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW sportster overdue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020 | 01:06 PM
cacomly
Road Master

Originally Posted by handirifle
I did just read that Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman just completed filming their new "adventure" from Patagonia to Los Angeles on HD Livewires. Claimed they got 200-300 miles per charge, then charge overnite, sometimes "borrowing" power from locals.

Would be interested in seeing how bad they did.
I was speaking with one of the HD engineers at the Washington DC IMS show right after they finished. From what he told me the bikes ran great. They had two spares but never used them. Apparently HD did send a team of engineers down in case they were needed however they were not.

We'll see when the movie comes out which hopefully will be soon

Old 03-05-2020 | 01:29 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Now when the livewire batt goes out, do you have to contact that little kid to crawl down in the hole to mine cobalt to get a new one? All these folks that declare how green they are and seemingly care less where or how the stuff is mined. They send child labor laws back 100 yrs just to cut emissions.
No, just use a half lemon, a strip of zinc, and a strip of copper. Instant power!

John

Old 03-05-2020 | 01:50 PM
Haarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by rodhotter
when will HD finally build a sporty sportster?? do like Triumph did + keep the look with the engine cooling fins + add some water cooling + of course this will allow more power to be made + god sakes drop the pounds!!!
Nothing needs to change, except cruise control and a sixth gear.

Make a new bike, and give it a new name, but keep this bike just the way it is.

Old 03-05-2020 | 01:55 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

I would like a dual sport bike again (dual sportster?)
The middleweight EV concept that gets little press and no name might do the trick for you. Maybe not. It's more of a "street tracker" than a real off road bike. With the right tires it may be the closest thing to a scrambler that H-D has said anything about.

Old 03-05-2020 | 02:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I will never by an electric bike or car, sorry. To me it is not a solution. I am about fed up with the whole climate change jargon anyway. We spend millions in the country, if not more, for this and it drops the pollution index like .02% all the while India and China put out more than the rest of the world combined.

Mankind thinks too highly of themselves to think they can control or influence the weather on a global scale. Weather guys here tell us we are getting 1-2" of rain, and the ground never gets wet. Its a HUGE guessing game and in my opinion, nothing more than a power and control issue.

I hope I am not around when all this happens, but it will. They have indoctrinated the younger generations to the point of having them scared of the future. Sad, and the EVs are part of it.

The following users liked this post:
apache snow (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 02:27 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member

I would like a dual sport bike again (dual sportster?) and browsing through craigslist I saw a KTM 1190 Adventure. So I did what I usually do, look up reported issues, specs, and maint costs. WOW at 18K is the valve service, not a bad interval, but a whopping $900 for said service. Not sure how HD rates compare, but I do know much of this can be done diy'er with reasonable skills. I could afford a used KTM, but not the maint costs, if I had to have a shop do it.
In russian language KTM has several joking nicknames for it's abbreviation. Translation kills a play upon letters and words, but meanings are following:
1) Roll, Push, Suffer
2) Hardworking Mechanicians Club

Old 03-05-2020 | 03:04 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I see why now. I think the beemers are not far behind. I know a few folks that ride them, beemers. They love them but claim parts are astronomical. Of course HD parts are not cheap either.

Old 03-05-2020 | 03:14 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

If the new Sportster looked like this I'd be first in line .

Old 03-05-2020 | 03:19 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Including the drum brakes? I have no qualms with a powertrain update, but please do not style it with a beak or something else as stupid looking.

I remember what many call the "good old days" of cars. Ignition Point systems that had to be checked every few months, or that shorted out every time it rained, bias ply tires, poor drum brakes and outright sloppy engine tolerances. I remember when 100,000 miles was a hallmark to celebrate. Not its hohum. I have over 250,000 miles on my 2005 Accord, and it runs as strong as day one when we bought it new. The only work on it has been 2 timing belt changes at the required 100,000 mile intervals. Number 3 will becoming up in about a year.

Electronics can be a PITA to troubleshoot but they have become so reliable it almost becomes moot.

Last edited by handirifle; 03-05-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2020 | 03:23 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

They have indoctrinated the younger generations to the point of having them scared of the future.
It's been going on for thousands of years. Usually under the guise of religion.

John

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (03-06-2020)

Quick Reply: NEW sportster overdue!!!