Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW sportster overdue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020 | 02:06 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pugslycat01
Well, the Street hasn't exactly caught on in five years, so I don't think that's what is going to bring Sportster production to an end. I suspect the stricter European emissions standards and the need to produce something that appeals to younger buyers will have a lot more to do with ending, or at least significantly changing the Sportster line.

I doubt the plan was ever for the Street to replace the Sportster, but rather to produce a training bike for Rider Academy that could be sold in the Asian market. Streets, especially the Street Rod, are sized for a person that is smaller than the average height American male. Maybe an Asian rider or an American teenager (new rider). Those are exactly the markets that H-D openly marketed these bikes to. The problem is that they are still big and expensive by the standards of the Asian market and a modern rendition of the UJM isn't what teenage boys want to be riding.

I suspect the Streets were just a placeholder until the new modular engines could be produced. As soon as those bikes start rolling off the line we will see the end of the Sportster as we know it. If H-D has any sense, they will call the new family of bikes the next generation of Sportsters, as in Sportster Pan American and the Sportster Bronx. Perhaps the H-D drawing boards already have a stripped down Iron 975 and Sportster 1250 Custom that haven't been announced, yet. After all, those would be more of the same and not make a lot of headlines.

H-D has announce the 500cc and 750cc modular engines will be introduced in 2021. That will be the end of the current Street line up.
I agree the street didn't really catch on and will get the chop soon

Old 02-13-2020 | 09:22 PM
Doc4545
Tourer

Mine does pretty damn a-ok in the twisties This was on Feb. 2 in the hill country (highway 73) outside of Evergreen, CO. Paved roads, I just parked on the shoulder for the pic.

Last edited by Doc4545; 02-13-2020 at 09:25 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Doc4545:
johnny_bravo00 (02-14-2020), JRider1807 (02-18-2020), Long lonesome highwayman (02-14-2020), Marsikus (03-06-2020), rhino1250 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 08:54 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, the Street hasn't exactly caught on in five years, so I don't think that's what is going to bring Sportster production to an end. I suspect the stricter European emissions standards and the need to produce something that appeals to younger buyers will have a lot more to do with ending, or at least significantly changing the Sportster line.

I doubt the plan was ever for the Street to replace the Sportster, but rather to produce a training bike for Rider Academy that could be sold in the Asian market. Streets, especially the Street Rod, are sized for a person that is smaller than the average height American male. Maybe an Asian rider or an American teenager (new rider). Those are exactly the markets that H-D openly marketed these bikes to. The problem is that they are still big and expensive by the standards of the Asian market and a modern rendition of the UJM isn't what teenage boys want to be riding.

I suspect the Streets were just a placeholder until the new modular engines could be produced. As soon as those bikes start rolling off the line we will see the end of the Sportster as we know it. If H-D has any sense, they will call the new family of bikes the next generation of Sportsters, as in Sportster Pan American and the Sportster Bronx. Perhaps the H-D drawing boards already have a stripped down Iron 975 and Sportster 1250 Custom that haven't been announced, yet. After all, those would be more of the same and not make a lot of headlines.

H-D has announce the 500cc and 750cc modular engines will be introduced in 2021. That will be the end of the current Street line up.
IMO the Street is a Too Tall ...too Fugly...POS with a Radiator besides...The Average "Vertically Challenged" person will be very disappointed as soon as they "try" to throw a leg over one....

Old 02-14-2020 | 11:19 AM
slw210
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

The Street 750 is one of the top 4 selling motorcycles worldwide. Not sure what the USA sales are, don't see it leaving anytime soon, particularly overseas.

Not a fan of the Bronx, but the Pan American and the Custom seem okay, I would want lower pipes on the Custom, preferably a 2-1, not a fan of those high pipes. As for the tail light thing, seems to be standard on the bikes like those, most soon have a delete for those available.

Not sure, but last year I saw an interview with the head Harley engineer and he stated the Sportster engine can meet all known upcoming environmental regulations. Unless forced by governments, I don't see Harley dropping the Sportster anytime soon.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (02-27-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 12:30 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

If the greenies have their way we will all be riding sewing machines someday.

I realize I am an old fart, but the style of these new bikes, not just HD, are just plain ugly. The part many call the "beak" is an absolute waste of material. One reason I cannot warm up to a road glide, too much beakiness.

I do not mind the evolution of the engines was inevitable, sadly, nothing will ever sound like Harleys again. Harley could have led this charge years back with the Vrod, if they had made their mind up whether it was going to be a cruiser or a sporty bike. They made it kinda both, and thus it was neither. Too long and too low for a real sport bike, and the Cruiser seating position, didn't make it a cruiser. I thought then, the engine would revolutionize the smaller HD lineup. Was a good chance to outshine the Buell, but alas, was not to be, so HD let them both fall.

Old 02-14-2020 | 12:53 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

Originally Posted by Racepres
IMO the Street is a Too Tall ...too Fugly...POS with a Radiator besides...The Average "Vertically Challenged" person will be very disappointed as soon as they "try" to throw a leg over one....
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The Street 500/750 have the same 25.7" seat height as most of the Sportsters. So no, the average "Vertically Challenged" person will not be disappointed.

You are correct that the Street Rod and Sportster Roadster do indeed have seat heights of over 29". The single biggest problem with the Street Rod seems to be that a rider with a long enough inseam to straddle the bike is going to be uncomfortable due to a cramped riding position. The Roadster is just enough larger that the riding position works.

As for the radiator, it's just one of those things that comes from having a water cooled engine. Get used to them, as you can be assured that every new engine that H-D comes out with will have them.

Old 02-14-2020 | 02:38 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The Street 500/750 have the same 25.7" seat height as most of the Sportsters. So no, the average "Vertically Challenged" person will not be disappointed.

You are correct that the Street Rod and Sportster Roadster do indeed have seat heights of over 29". The single biggest problem with the Street Rod seems to be that a rider with a long enough inseam to straddle the bike is going to be uncomfortable due to a cramped riding position. The Roadster is just enough larger that the riding position works.

As for the radiator, it's just one of those things that comes from having a water cooled engine. Get used to them, as you can be assured that every new engine that H-D comes out with will have them.
Thanks... The fact is even Sportsters are too tall for the "new" or especially Female Rider [most anyway] The MoCo missed the mark...again!!
and radiators... Nope... I do Not have to get used to the Ugly Things.. If it gots one... I won't buy it.. I have yet to have problems keeping My Harley's on the road..
But... I do Not want one Post 1999 either!!! [Big Twin anyway] Last year that I consider them Completely rebuildable!!! Luckily the Sportster went much Longer!!!!!

Old 02-14-2020 | 02:46 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres

The Street Rod, Maybe. But my daughter is 5'1" tall and rode a Street 500 in a class and loved it.

And I think it looks like a pretty nice bike until you get to the exhaust pipe muffler and right foot peg. It's like the Harley design team was doing great and hadn't figured out the exhaust yet and someone moved up their timeline on them so they just threw it together at the last minute.

Old 02-14-2020 | 03:33 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by firehawk6
While it may be a Sportster model I don't find anything 'sporty' about that bike either. Just personal taste I guess...

What is your definition of "Sporty"

Old 02-14-2020 | 03:56 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
What is your definition of "Sporty"
While no Sportster is a sportbike, something closer than what that Custom is. The Bronx is 'sporty' to me, the Custom is just butt ugly to MY eye, but to each their own.

Again, just stating my opinion.

Quick Reply: NEW sportster overdue!!!