Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 on new 1200C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
fraz00
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 on new 1200C?

Picking up my 2007 1200C tomorrow night. They already have the Screaming Eagle pipes on them. It was suggested to me by a friend who has ridden Harley's all his life to have them put the Stage 1 kit on my bike before I pick it up. Is this something I should consider? Keep in mind, this is my first motorcycle AND I am female. Will this be a mistake? Will it really make a difference that at some point I will want? Should I just have it done before I even get used to riding the thing. (I do plan to stay in parking lots, etc....for awhile, don't worry: I won't be jumping on an interstate anytime soon!)

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1 on new 1200C?

Well if it already has SE pipes, it might already be stage 1, did you ask the seller? If it is only pipes, you are 1/2 way there...Are you buying from a dealer?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Many people consided or call Stage 1 a performance upgrade. It really is not. Stage 1 removes what the EPA did to cripple the bikes performance to meet federal regulations. It lets the engine breathe and perform like it was designed to do and will not only run better but cooler.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
fraz00
Intermediate

I'm getting it from a dealer. The service manager said that due to the 02 sensors, it doesn't have the Stage 1 already. But I'm not sure if that's something I need.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

I think you might want to get used to it first. Then later, during a servicing, have it added. Until them maybe try to find some that has stage one and see if you like it. After you get plenty of experiance and if they will let you ride it.

I am not sure, but I think if you get the stage 1 and don't like and want to go back, you have to replace the whole carb. Thought I read something about them having to drill something out.

Anyone else know?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: coyyai

I think you might want to get used to it first. Then later, during a servicing, have it added. Until them maybe try to find some that has stage one and see if you like it. After you get plenty of experiance and if they will let you ride it.

I am not sure, but I think if you get the stage 1 and don't like and want to go back, you have to replace the whole carb. Thought I read something about them having to drill something out.

Anyone else know?
Sorry but, the above is total misinformation from someone who doesn't have any actual first hand knowledge.Since you have an 07 you don't have a carb. to begin with, let alone any stage 1 work done to a carb. or EFI can be undone.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cHarley

ORIGINAL: coyyai

Anyone else know?
Sorry but, the above is total misinformation from someone who doesn't have any actual first hand knowledge.Since you have an 07 you don't have a carb. to begin with, let alone any stage 1 work done to a carb. or EFI can be undone.
That is why I was asking if anyone else knew.

And just to pick you brain a little since you know, how can you tell if a carb has stage 1? I just got a 2001 XL1200C a month ago and trying to determine in mine has it or not. I know it has a lot of other upgrades, but need to identify the stage 1.

And what is involved in aStage 2 kit

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member

PM Sent to coyyai

Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer

Stage 1 is back plate, air cleaner, fancy screaming eagle cover, air intake tubes that supposedly feed air to the carb.

stage 2 kit I believe involves internals with the motor, correct me if I am wrong?

I did a stage one and big growl pipes on my 93 sporty, man what a difference!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stage 1 just requires changes to the external engine components: Air intake & pipes to increase airflow, rejetting the carb/installing the EFI download, depending on the model year, and a new ignition module.

Stage 2 gets serious. Now you're changing the guts of the engine by sticking in new cams, milling or buying new cylinder heads to increase compression, new valve springs, 2 into 1 headers, etc.

There's a fairly detailed run-down of the various stage upgrades here, at sportster.org.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 on new 1200C?