Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you use your rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: How much do you use your rear brake?

I was brought up on sportbikes and the like which have fabulous brakes compared to my Fatboy. I am still pretty much a front braker only unless I need the rear. It is questionable on a bike with a singles disc up front or if you are a new rider, but my braking methods remain the same as they always have. Front only unless I need to do a real quick stop. I also down shift and use engine braking.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What has riding a sport bike got to do with it. So you had great brakes. You still were only using 60% of your stopping ability!!

This is sort of a repeat but if you're in the habit of using your front brake only, by time you realize you might need your rear brake it could very well be too late. After all, how long would it take to "realize" you might need yourrear brake?. What ever the answer is it mighttaketoo long, especially if your life depended on it.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I also started on sportbikes and on the track. Youlearn to use the front only when running on the track because if you get on the rear brake on the track you can slide the rear end in a turn and find yourself doing a Superman.Was a student of Keith Code. Get your braking done early then get back on the gas. The only time the rear brake comes into play is when on loose or wet surface and perhaps LIGHT trail braking into a corner when you are running too hot. Also, for you guys that are talking about using the front brake in a turn, you guys are asking for an accident. The bike will stand right up and you will be off the road.
We are riding cruisers here people. Get your braking done early (before you are in a turn too deeply to adjust) and then get on the throttle in the turn. If you want to ride fast and at the edge get a sportbike and get to a track.

Mark

Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was taught from the start to use both, and that's what I do. I have found that by using both, I stop more smoothly and with more control. I use just therear when making slow, tight turns, or turns in general, but when riding out on the road and coming to a stop for traffic or at a stop sign etc., I use both.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
squintbo
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Sorry, but that is one of the most questionable suggestions that I have ever heard..

True, the majority of the braking comes from the front brake, but your bike has two brakes for a reason.

I use the rear brake all the time, especially when you are not moving in a straight line. In fact, I normally hit the rear brake first, and then use the front to start pulling down the speed.

I also have the rear brakes hooked up on my cars and trucks.

What he said.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Use both brakes,and have got in the habit of going on off in quick succession to avoid locking up...the front brake is pretty fierce,so I grip the lever closer to the pivot so as not to get to much leverage.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I uae them both except in turns, thats the way I was taught in the MSC.

Tom

Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain

I can't believe how many different opinions people haveas far as what is best so I will give you mine.

The only time you should not be using the front brake is when you have the front tire go flat or if you are on ice. If you are on ice, well,never mind. Iuse both brakes all of the time,while leaning or going straight. If Itake a turn too fast and end up locking the front end due to over correcting, well, then my bad. I will accept the consequenses for doing so.

Honestly, Ihave not mastered the back brake yet.Most of my riding years have been on sport bikes. Lastbike was abig Suzuki cruiser with forward controls. I just can't get totally used to the rear brake feel. It's too easy to use too much force on the back brake with the pedal in that position.In a couple of "urgent" situations, I have temporarily locked up the back wheel.

So no, I am not an expert & will never claim to be. For once you are an expert, you have no fear.With no fear, there is no risk. With no risk, you have nothing tolose. Only your life.

My final thoughts today: be scared or be scarred

Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Use them both. When first braking your rear brake is doing the majority of the work, your butt and the weight is on the rear of the bike. As you start to slow it will nose dive increasing the weight and braking ability of the front brake. As you slow, increase front pressure and decrease rear pressure. Yes the front brake does or applies 70% more force, but not at first, as I mentioned above.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Lowridin
Advanced

Not much. last 10 feet of a normal stop, more if i need to break heavy.

Quick Reply: How much do you use your rear brake?