Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Longplay
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I started on a Honda also many years ago. Now several decades later, I would suggest the advice to just go ahead to the Sportster, but with the caveat that you take real instruction with it. Not just a ride around the area with a riding friend. At an almost exactly same height and weight to me, I can tell you, you can handle it. Likely better than I as I am already on the downhill side of the curve age wise.

The sage advice I did get, well too late to save my nearly dead left leg, was to drive as though you are totally invisible. Assume they NEVER see you. Motorcycles are by definition a defensive sport.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Old_Bikes
Club Member
Received 221 Likes on 144 Posts

I started out riding dirt bikes as a kid, and being able to ride dirt will make you a better street rider. My first street bike was a chopped panhead (long time ago) that I still have. I learned on rear-brake only, suicide clutch fun. If you are careful and you have some experience (sounds like you do), you should not have any problems with the Sportster. 01dyna raises a good point, that being a lot of folks start on a non-Harley in order to minimize the risk of damaging and expensive bike. A lot of those folks don't have some experience to fall back on. Do yourself a favor and take a riding course. I did after 15 years of riding without a license, and I learned quite a bit. That too will make you a better rider.

When I was thinking about buying my first bike, I was looking at Triumph choppers and stuff, but I really wanted a Harley. A guy I worked with, older and with more experience, he told me to get the Harley. I would never be happy with anything else. I think he was right.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:44 AM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Usually I advice to start with 125-250cc. But as you have a dirtbike experience, feel free to buy a Sportster. Dirt riding gives much experience. Also Sportsters despite of 1200cc are unexpectedly plush if you are careful with throttle.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:08 AM
Naz
Road Captain

Received 759 Likes on 319 Posts

Take the training and get your license. But before you purchase a Sporty, rent one. There's an Eagle Rider not far from you: https://www.eaglerider.com/rentals

The following 3 users liked this post by Naz:
08xl1200r (12-21-2019), duffy8540 (12-20-2019), Frank_the_Beard (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Frank_the_Beard
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron X
Were you in a Honda dealership when you received this sage advice that you shouldn't buy a Harley as your first bike, and you should go with a Honda?

Get the Harley. Preowned Sportsters are inexpensive. Easy to ride. I'd probably try to find a 2007+ Sportster.
No, I've been told this by a lot of Harley owners. For reasons one person listed above like having something a bit cheaper is better to learn in case you drop it and bang it up in the process.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Naz
Road Captain

Received 759 Likes on 319 Posts

If you want a Sportster you're not going to be happy with a Honda. Worried about dropping a bike, buy a used Sporty and add crash bars. The used sportsters are very reasonably priced. But again, I suggest you take the opportunity to rent before you purchase. If you live in Brea you have an Eagle Rider close by that has a variety of bikes you can rent including Sportsters.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:20 AM
discountpipe
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Yamaha Bolt might be a good bike too. The bolt, the shadow, and the Iron 883 are all pretty similar in price too. If you're trying to save money now and upgrading later, you might just get the iron now since they are basically the same price anyways.
However, if you're wanting a 1200 then you might wait because there is a pretty substantial price increase.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:09 PM
duffy8540
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_the_Beard
The only previous experience I have is riding dirt bikes when I was younger but I'm not really sure how that will translate to riding on the street.
But I'll definitely take the advice on taking a course to test that translation.
Sounds about like my background.......after the dirt bikes and a scrambler I got a Norton 850 Commando. Very comparable to a Sportster of the era except faster. I'd say get the Sportster, 883 or 1200 is your only decision. As far as taking a course if you haven't ridden in years a "refresher" might be a good idea.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:26 PM
DKDunn04
Advanced
Received 61 Likes on 15 Posts

I started out on a 650cc sportbike, and within 2 months got rid of it for a 950cc sportbike. With someone your size, you shouldn't have any problems handling an 883 or even a 1200 Sportster.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:20 PM
08xl1200r
Road Captain
Received 388 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Naz
Take the training and get your license. But before you purchase a Sporty, rent one. There's an Eagle Rider not far from you: https://www.eaglerider.com/rentals
a big +1 on renting a Sportster before buying, they are not right for everyone...could be you end up preferring sport bikes, adventure bikes, etc. down the line.
There is also the 883 vs. 1200 question, I rented one of each for a full day and decided I liked the 1200 much better. On paper Sportsters don't look like a great bet as they are overweight and underpowered compared to some of the competition but that is hardly surprising considering the basic design goes way back to 1957.
In practice I love mine, it has a LOT of character like the vintage British bikes I've owned without any of the headaches and plenty of power with a Stage 1 1200...plus lots of dealers that actually stock parts, a huge aftermarket, highly reliable and very easy to do DIY maintenance, etc.

Quick Reply: First bike