Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discolored Speedo Digital Display 1998 1220C

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Discolored Speedo Digital Display 1998 1220C

Anybody know what causes the mileage display on a digital 1998 speedo to discolor and get almost unreadable?

Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Anybody know what causes the mileage display on a digital 1998 speedo to discolor and get almost unreadable?
I do not know what a 1220C is ?
I would have to guess you mean odometer display or miles traveled.
But for a few years with the last being 1998 Harley speedometers that had an LCD odometer(miles traveled) readout had an issue withe the LCD screen leaking.
The Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) would leak its black liquid and display for the odometer would become difficult to read.
Almost looks like an ink leak in the odometer display.
Those units had a silver odometer backing with thick black LCD numbers.
Different from the newer ones with yellowish backing and thinner LCD numbers
I believe those units were made by Faria and are a different supplier than 1999 and newer units.
The speedometer retains or counts mileage traveled but it will become more difficult to read over time as it leaks more.
The mileage will not transfer to another unit either.
The mileage is only retained in the speedometer and not the ECM
The solution on touring model units is to find a donor LCD screen from a used unit or to update wire harness to the plug and play style speedometer.
Alternatively there are companies that you can mail speedometer to and they can change-out LCD screen.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:24 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Too much sun? My speedo has tan lines.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by im
I do not know what a 1220C is ?
I would have to guess you mean odometer display or miles traveled.
But for a few years with the last being 1998 Harley speedometers that had an LCD odometer(miles traveled) readout had an issue withe the LCD screen leaking.
The Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) would leak its black liquid and display for the odometer would become difficult to read.
Almost looks like an ink leak in the odometer display.
Those units had a silver odometer backing with thick black LCD numbers.
Different from the newer ones with yellowish backing and thinner LCD numbers
I believe those units were made by Faria and are a different supplier than 1999 and newer units.
The speedometer retains or counts mileage traveled but it will become more difficult to read over time as it leaks more.
The mileage will not transfer to another unit either.
The mileage is only retained in the speedometer and not the ECM
The solution on touring model units is to find a donor LCD screen from a used unit or to update wire harness to the plug and play style speedometer.
Alternatively there are companies that you can mail speedometer to and they can change-out LCD screen.
A 1220C is a famous special edition sold by HD known as a Typo XL... geeze.

Thanks for the info. The mileage currently displays as a burn orange discolored rectangle and distorts the black numbers. So the simple answer is "Defective Design and no repair available?" I can probably replace the display if I can find the part. I didn't realize that 1998 Sporty's had an ECM... so you're saying that a newer speedo can be used with proper wiring connections? (The last time I knew anything about Sportsters was 1967... this is my son's bike... I'm too old to ride a shaker more than 3 blocks).

Old 11-13-2019, 01:58 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

Looks like you might have a 1200 custom (a sportster frame).
The speedometers of that era show a leaking LCD as a common report.
A google search for images should show a few.
The original factory speedometer came with an odometer with a silver/grey backing like an LCD calculator.
The actual numbers leaked their fluid.
I had a 1997 883 sportster at one time.
The mirrors were a blur at highway speeds.
I mentioned the ECM (you do not have one) in order to potentially answer the question most people have in regards to mileage transfer.
Mileage transfer is not possible with that unit... since mileage is in the speedometer only.
You put a new one in and it starts at zero, you put a used one in and it starts at whatever was in old speedometer.
Your later description of "burn orange discolored rectangle and distorts the black numbers" does NOT read like the usual and common problem of an LCD leak unless the leak is really really old and the ink looking stuff basically ran out..
Yours is reading like the unit received some significant amount of sun/weather damage.
You would need to take a look inside speedometer, purchase a replacement or send it to a shop for repair.
The common LCD leak looks exactly as described..leaking ink from numbers on the silver LCD display... NO orange before or after damage.
The speedometers of that ERA are NOT a simple plug at back of speedometer unit, need to go a little deeper.
The softtail and touring bikes have a sub-harness available from drag specialties to update to newer style but i have no idea of a sub-harness for 1998 sportster style frame.
A few forum members have reported success using a company for touring model speedometer repairs.
Other members have conducted a DIY with a donor LCD from another unit from same model.
It requires great patience since removal of needle can alter speed reading on dial.
This is one company that i wrote down as general information.
The link will also show a picture of common LCD leak.
The benefit of a repair is that you retain correct odometer mileage.

http://www.eyezongauges.com/Harley_D...air_s/1841.htm

Last edited by im; 11-13-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:30 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by im
Looks like you might have a 1200 custom (a sportster frame).
The speedometers of that era show a leaking LCD as a common report.
A google search for images should show a few.
The original factory speedometer came with an odometer with a silver/grey backing like an LCD calculator.
The actual numbers leaked their fluid.
I had a 1997 883 sportster at one time.
The mirrors were a blur at highway speeds.
I mentioned the ECM (you do not have one) in order to potentially answer the question most people have in regards to mileage transfer.
Mileage transfer is not possible with that unit... since mileage is in the speedometer only.
You put a new one in and it starts at zero, you put a used one in and it starts at whatever was in old speedometer.
Your later description of "burn orange discolored rectangle and distorts the black numbers" does NOT read like the usual and common problem of an LCD leak unless the leak is really really old and the ink looking stuff basically ran out..
Yours is reading like the unit received some significant amount of sun/weather damage.
You would need to take a look inside speedometer, purchase a replacement or send it to a shop for repair.
The common LCD leak looks exactly as described..leaking ink from numbers on the silver LCD display... NO orange before or after damage.
The speedometers of that ERA are NOT a simple plug at back of speedometer unit, need to go a little deeper.
The softtail and touring bikes have a sub-harness available from drag specialties to update to newer style but i have no idea of a sub-harness for 1998 sportster style frame.
A few forum members have reported success using a company for touring model speedometer repairs.
Other members have conducted a DIY with a donor LCD from another unit from same model.
It requires great patience since removal of needle can alter speed reading on dial.
This is one company that i wrote down as general information.
The link will also show a picture of common LCD leak.
The benefit of a repair is that you retain correct odometer mileage.

http://www.eyezongauges.com/Harley_D...air_s/1841.htm
EYEZONGAUGES is out of business.
I may have found a replacement LCD from Ronnie's.
I'm not afraid of taking the speedo apart as I did that to my '96 Nightrain if they are similar.
The bike is 2300 miles from me... it's my son's... and the last sporty I was riding was a '67 so I can't evaluate if a JP Cycles gauge would be interchangeable and/or desirable.