Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

liscence

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 PM
jeramy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: liscence

yep thats what ive told all the yahoos i know with out one. they don't really seem to care or realize that with how long they've been riding they could pass the test with out a problem

Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd also wonder how an insurance company would handle the situation if a "unlicensed rider" was involved in a "at fault" accident.

If you knowingly were breaking the law when riding (no endorsement), would they cover vehicle and/or medical claims and lawsuits?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:51 PM
jeramy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe that technically if you don't have your endorsment you are automatically declared at fault seeing as you never should of been on the road to begin with

Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jeramy

i believe that technically if you don't have your endorsment you are automatically declared at fault seeing as you never should of been on the road to begin with
So what happens if an unlicensed rider runs through a red light, totals my bike, and puts me in the hospital, even if he does have valid insurance?

Does that meanhis insurance company would declinehis coverage, and it would be the responsibility of the rider (and whatever assets they might have) to cover costs, lawsuits, etc.??

I know with 'automobile insurance' that if you have your license suspended and/or revoked the insurance company will consider your policy to be 'not in force' until your license is reinstated.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been riding since 1971 When I started riding you didn't need a Motorcycle license in PA I had never bothered to get one. I was stopped several times, had the bike looked over, even checked for baffles in the pipes, and one cop even made me take of my dark tinted prescription lenses so he could look through them to make sure they were prescription, because my license said I needed glasses, but they all never noticed it did not have the motorcycle code on the license.. I rode 33 years without. When I decided to buy my Harley, I wanted to do it right (regardless of the fact I would not have been able to buy a bike from a dealer without it) I took the MSF course and after 33 years of riding,I learned alot. Invaluable training if you ask me. The instructers said I beat the previous record of 31 years without a license. Now I have my license I mean I would not have lasted all that time, if I didn't know how to ride, and the little code on my license didn't make a difference there, but the MSF training did. I am a better rider now because of it. So which was more important? Chicken or the egg. But together the MSF and my new motorcycle license make me a better, legal rider. Just my .02

Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: freekdawg1200

I renewed more permits than I care to disclose.I finally took the MSF course so I could be official this year.Also learned some things in the course.
Many jurisdictions are aware of people doing that, so if your permit expires they are making you wait a number of months before you can apply for another one.

Might sound a little 'cold', but the way I look at if someone doesn't have the basic knowledge and riding skills to pass the DMV test and obtain a motorcycle endorsement (after a short learning period) they don't deserve to be riding out there on the roads.
Are you saying that I don't belong on the road? I should have mentioned that I've been riding off and on for 15 years.I wasjust lazy and never took the DMV test.I have no doubt that I could pass the test on any of the previous 8 bikes I've owned.It's just that when I got my first HD,I wanted to do it right.Permits in PA used to be only good for 3 or 4 months.Now they are good for a year and you have to take a computerized test(which I got a 100% on) I had plenty of time to get familiar with my bike.I could of aced the DMVriding test.The MSF course in PA is free,so I figured it was a no-brainer.I aced both their written and riding tests.Whoopty Doo!Also,I have a perfect driving and riding record.No accidents and no speeding tickets.I'm a safe rider.I belong on the road,but thanks for the concern! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I renewed more permits than I care to disclose.I finally took the MSF course so I could be official this year.Also learned some things in the course.
Many jurisdictions are aware of people doing that, so if your permit expires they are making you wait a number of months before you can apply for another one.

Might sound a little 'cold', but the way I look at if someone doesn't have the basic knowledge and riding skills to pass the DMV test and obtain a motorcycle endorsement (after a short learning period) they don't deserve to be riding out there on the roads.
Are you saying that I don't belong on the road? I should have mentioned that I've been riding off and on for 15 years.I wasjust lazy and never took the DMV test.I have no doubt that I could pass the test on any of the previous 8 bikes I've owned.It's just that when I got my first HD,I wanted to do it right.Permits in PA used to be only good for 3 or 4 months.Now they are good for a year and you have to take a computerized test(which I got a 100% on) I had plenty of time to get familiar with my bike.I could of aced the DMVriding test.The MSF course in PA is free,so I figured it was a no-brainer.I aced both their written and riding tests.Whoopty Doo!Also,I have a perfect driving and riding record.No accidents and no speeding tickets.I'm a safe rider.I belong on the road,but thanks for the concern! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Do you have a valid operators license to drive a car or truck?

If so, why did you take the time to get one?

As you said, you have a perfect driving record, so why worry about the license?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course I have a valid license,and now I have the M endorsement.I took the time when I was 16 because I wanted my own car.I've always paid for my own cars,trucks and bikes,and they were all registered and insured to me.As for worrying about the motorcyclelicense,I never thought of it like that! If I'm law abiding and safe,I'll never need the M endorsement! At least I always a legitpermit and insurance card on me!Oh well,better to be safe than sorry!I'm official now anyway you look at it,and it feels good!Ride on.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 AM
MortgageGuy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jeramy

So what happens if an unlicensed rider runs through a red light, totals my bike, and puts me in the hospital, even if he does have valid insurance?

Does that meanhis insurance company would declinehis coverage, and it would be the responsibility of the rider (and whatever assets they might have) to cover costs, lawsuits, etc.??

I know with 'automobile insurance' that if you have your license suspended and/or revoked the insurance company will consider your policy to be 'not in force' until your license is reinstated.
I recently asked that question of my agent as I don't currently have my "M" endorsement.When I purchased the insurance about 2 years ago there was not a question on the application regarding "M" endorsement and they already have a copy of my driver's license in the file which clearly doesn't include the "M" endorsement. His response wasthat I was covered, the insurance company would pay,whether it was my fault or not. I'm just not comfortable that every claims underwriter with every company is going to see it that way. My 14 year old son just took his written test a few weeks ago for his permit and we're both going for our driving tests next week so we'll both be legal. We're both scheduled for an experienced rider/defensive course next month also. I was required to take a defensive vehicle driving course when I was 16 by the state of Oklahoma (it had something to do with my great ability to rack up points on my driving record very quickly) and as much as I hated doing it......I still remember most of it today and play it through my mind a great deal while driving. My 18 year old daughter isn't too excited about it, but she and I are both taking defensive vehicle courses next month also. She doesn't drive her car crazy, just doesn't pay attention as much as she should. Personally, if I'm in heavy traffic, the last person I want in the lane beside me or tailgating me is a young girl.......seems like they're always on the phone, or texting, or doing something other than paying attention to their driving.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 AM
jterp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any insurance company would have a hard time not paying a liability claim on a current policy... They might deny your comprehensive claim, but liabity should not be an issue.