Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Synthetic Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Synthetic Oil Question

This is way off the topic of this forum but some one may know the answer.

Does anyone know if synthetic oil, Royal Purple, Mobil, SynthIII or alike has any electrical conductivity? The reason I'm looking into it is, I build custom computers and am trying out a new mod. I am going to make or buy an aquarium, fill it full of oil and submerge the whole machine minus the hard drive, optical drive, and power supply as a cooling solution. The oil will absorb the heat passively eliminating the need for fans, look bad ***, and draw a lot of attention. I would like to use synthetic oil for a couple reasons, smell, color, thermal conductivity and lifetime versus mineral oil.

Any information would be great, I realize I could call the company but I dont think they would understand what I'm doing. I am also going to post on some custom pc forums as well.

-The Zilla

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Strange Synthetic Oil Question

I think you got to much time on yer hands here Bro!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:22 PM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pwnzilla

This is way off the topic of this forum but some one may know the answer.

Does anyone know if synthetic oil, Royal Purple, Mobil, SynthIII or alike has any electrical conductivity? The reason I'm looking into it is, I build custom computers and am trying out a new mod. I am going to make or buy an aquarium, fill it full of oil and submerge the whole machine minus the hard drive, optical drive, and power supply as a cooling solution. The oil will absorb the heat passively eliminating fan noise, look bad ***, and draw a lot of attention. I would like to use synthetic oil for a couple reasons, smell, color, thermal conductivity and lifetime versus mineral oil.

Any information would be great, I realize I could call the company but I dont think they would understand what I'm doing. I am also going to post on some custom pc forums as well.

-The Zilla
ARE YOU ON NARCOTICS ? IF NOT, I SUGGEST YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK INTO POSSIBLY GETTING SOME !!!!!! If tha FAN noise on a computer is an ISSUE i suggest you never ride a haley davidson......Perhaps a VESPA may be more up your alley.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't proclaim to be a computer genius, or a hydrodynamic engineer.

But my thought is this: That fan motor is designed to move AIR. Me thinks that oil is just a bit thicker than air, and will prolly burn that motor out pronto (if it turns at all).

Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a bath and wrap a hot towel around your head. Go ahead.... try it right now.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Haha, yeah I wont be using fans in case at all if under oil, the oil is to absorb all the heat from the components and eliminating the need for fans. I've seen this done before but they used vegetable oil not synthetics...I realize this is the wrong forum for this stuff, I just thought somone would know more about the oil here.

And yeah about the vespa comment, my bike's sound is nice and loud, but thw 'wur' of 8 high rpm fans is a bit annoying, plus it will look cool as hell when I'm done.

Here's a link to somone who has done it along with a video for anyone who cares:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[sm=wtf.gif]

That interupted my after the ride biking experience.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 PM
eggroll
Road Master

You're driving down the wrong street, so to speak. If you want a cooling fluid, try an aquarium full of Fat Tire Amber Ale.
Come to think of it, I might just have myself an aquarium full of Fat Tire Amber Ale.[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've said it before, and I will say it again.... Just use your flux capacitor!!! You can modify it to run on bio-fuel [8D]

Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of anyone doing this before, and I simply use computers (not too well, at that)...I don't build them. I can't answer yourquestion. But this sounds to be a pretty cool idea (no pun intended). If you use synthetic oil over mineral oil, your costs would increase tremendously. You're looking at $5-7 per quart x 4 qts./gal. = $20. $20 x 6 gal. = $120 just to fill the aquarium. Just make sure you save enough oil to fill your crankcase on the bike!

Teek

Quick Reply: Strange Synthetic Oil Question