Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with exhaust gasket knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007 | 08:48 PM
niterhyder
|
6th Gear
Default Anyone with exhaust gasket knowledge?

I have an 07 nightster(only about 400 miles)and installed someshortshots today...The factory pipes did not have any gaskets at all...
I installedthe new onesjust the way the old ones were with a C-clip holding on the thick flange, that bolted straight to the cylinders...You could see where the old pipes had been metal to metal.
Anyone who has any experience please either enlighten me or send some bad news...Damn I dont wanna take em off again!Should it be simular to an exhaust manifold gaskets on a car engine?Thanks...

Old 07-13-2007 | 08:51 PM
F1J1
Tourer
Default RE: Anyone with exhaust gasket knowledge?

You're good.

Old 07-13-2007 | 10:34 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: niterhyder

I have an 07 nightster(only about 400 miles)and installed someshortshots today...The factory pipes did not have any gaskets at all...
I installedthe new onesjust the way the old ones were with a C-clip holding on the thick flange, that bolted straight to the cylinders...You could see where the old pipes had been metal to metal.
Anyone who has any experience please either enlighten me or send some bad news...Damn I dont wanna take em off again!Should it be simular to an exhaust manifold gaskets on a car engine?Thanks...
It may not look like it, but there were gaskets in there. You'll be fine.

Old 07-14-2007 | 12:43 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: niterhyder

Getcha a spray bottle with some soapy water in it.....Crank er up and spray the soapy water on the connections.....if ya see bubbles its leaking....If not you got it right and enjoy your bike and new pipes.

Old 07-14-2007 | 01:22 AM
Wolhar
Banned

The gasket is a ring of what appears like a SOS pad or stainless steel sponge. It is impregnated with something similar toor grafite. It fits into the head or jug. It is much like a "donut" gasket found between the exhaust manifold and tailpipe on a Car or Truck.

Old 07-14-2007 | 01:58 AM
eggroll
Road Master

What I know about gaskets:
Don't run your motor without exhaust gaskets,
Don't use a public toilet without a$$ gaskets,
Don't put all yer eggs in one basket!

Old 07-14-2007 | 04:46 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser

There was a gasket in there. It looks like this when you get it out.

Old 07-14-2007 | 07:54 PM
niterhyder
|
6th Gear

Wow...Im sure I would have recognized those things as gaskets...I actually was looking for gaskets and ampretty convinced there was none...kinda strange I think I will try the water and soap trick and see if there is a leak...Thanks for all replies!

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:09 PM
ionate
Road Captain

I'm having a hard time putting these gaskets back in. I'm beginning to think that they dealer gave me the wrong ones.

Does it take time to get them to pop in or should they fit without any problems? I got one of them in, but it looked beaten up and sort of like I put a slightly larger gasket in that I should have.

I know this post is a year old, but I'm looking for some help as the Stealerships are NOT of any. Thx

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:45 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

They fit snug, very snug when new. try and put them in as evenly as possible.

To the O P , You had gaskets in there, you just didn't reconize them. Once they have been in they are crushed to the exhaust port. You normally have to dig them out.

If the seal is good I wouldn't worry about it,If no gasket was there you'd know it. the pipe would rattle freely in the exhaust port.