Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers. . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:36 PM
racedvl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mufflers. . . . . .

OK, on my 2000 XL1200C I currently have stock mufflers that have the baffles removed. I personally am not a big fan of them.

1.) First what had to be done to the carb to have the baffles removed? I do know it has a K&N air filter.

2.) What ever was done to the carb, to have the current pipes on it, is it good for SE slip-on mufflers.

Example - part# 80363-99.Mufflers

3.) Is there a aftermarket pipe that would be equal to the said SE mufflers?

4.) If there is, where could I find them.

5.) Also, I have the extended warr., will having these mufflers affect that at all?
Thanks.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:18 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mufflers. . . . . .

OK, on my 2000 XL1200C I currently have stock mufflers that have the baffles removed
5.) Also, I have the extended warr., will having these mufflers affect that at all?
Yeap - the ones you currently have that is. It's clearly stated in the warrantey: under limitatons:

This warrantey does not cover -
#4 Defects or damage caused by alterations outside of Harley-Davidson factory specifications.

All of the section of the warranty under the "noise control system" section

Both read from a 2005 manual - CHECK YOURS (2000 manual) - the warranty is toward the back.

Hopefully these alterations mentioned in the first quote above were done by the dealer, have read some do this but the MOCO would not aprove (or they would lose $$$ on aftermarket pipes)

- prove it (dealer did it) if they give you flack or deny warranty coverage

Or

Find a set of stock exhaust for the machine before bringing it to the dealer. Some dealers will say - "you messed with it - your warranty is History"

let us know and good luck

Old 10-29-2005, 08:31 PM
racedvl
Tourer

So as of right now, I would be better off having SE mufflers as opposed to the ones that came on my bike, as far as the warr. on the scoot?

Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about the extended warranty. I put the SE II's on my 05 and they sound great, not to loud but loud enought to furnish that Harley sound. Fail to see how slip on's sold by Harley would void warranty.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

Slip ons, sold by harley, installed by harley, covered by harley.

OK, on my 2000 XL1200C I currently have stock mufflers that have the baffles removed
two questions to answer your one:

1 - who removed the baffels?

2 - does the dealer you may look to for warrenty service know they have been removed?

If in answer to #1 it was anyone but the dealer, and the dealer does not know, e-bay a set of stocks and throw them on, before going to them. Forget anything but maintaining the warranty, or frig the warranty and do whatever you want - your call. I personally paid the taxes (stage I: SE/AC, Dina jet kit, SE II's - 500 clams[&:]) because I was looking to get ride of the Carb Farts - it was worst than me after a bowl of turkey chilly. If your dealer knows about the baffels and is cool with it, talk to them. The bottom line, is if the dealer is looking to click a few coins out of your pocket, and they find out the baffels are gone, ALL work is on you.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:23 PM
racedvl
Tourer

I dunno who removed them. I bought the bike the way it sits as of now.

The dealer near me knows nothing of my bike. I bought the bike at another dealer about 35 miles away. They have a HUGE used bike inventory.

www.lakeshoreharley.com Click on the little spinny thing that says about the used bikes. They have a ton.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
racedvl
Tourer

Well, let me just state this while I'm at it. . . . . .

I also want to install some Andrews N2 cams in this bad boy over the winter. I suppose that's just gonna blow the warr. off the map won't it. I also plan on doing the wrenching myself. I have already been in the cam case once already (accident), so I am really not too afraid of it. I really would like to get a little more "pull" out of it in fifth gear, up hills ect. . . . . .

Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM
burnie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to do, put on the S.E.IIs, ride for about 20 miles and pull a plug. If it is grey, your idler is to lean,. If it is brownish, its ok,. If it is black, its too rich. Then get your bike up to about 70mph. While at 70 mph pull in the clutch and kill the engine. This will check your main jet. Once you coast to a stop, check the plugs agian. It will tell the story for ya. Good luck

Not sure on the cams, but you should be getting more air with it.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

20 miles and pull a plug
Then get your bike up to about 70mph. While at 70 mph pull in the clutch and kill the engine.
2 things: 1 - does the plug go back in first [sm=goodidea.gif]

2 - Holy giant gonads Batman - hope you have an empty road, and a serious question this time, do you coast down with or without the clutch in? I ask this seriously, as I dont know

Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
burnie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: molsenice

20 miles and pull a plug
Then get your bike up to about 70mph. While at 70 mph pull in the clutch and kill the engine.
2 things: 1 - does the plug go back in first [sm=goodidea.gif]

2 - Holy giant gonads Batman - hope you have an empty road, and a serious question this time, do you coast down with or without the clutch in? I ask this seriously, as I dont know
Lol. I guess I should be more specific.

Yea, put the plug back in. You can come to a stop with the clutch in, or down shift to neutral. The key is not to have the engine on once you kill it. You want to check out the main jet, so you want to read the burn on the plug at higher speeds. If you stop then kill it, you will be reading more of the idler jet than main jet. This is a trick I learned back in the day when checking out the jetting on metric carbs. I have used it with success on harleys as well. It gives you a good idea, and a good place to start.

Quick Reply: Mufflers. . . . . .