Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys ever split lanes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM
sgreen0313
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you guys ever split lanes?

I consider myself a very cautious rider. I don't ride like a nut with a death wish, but I'm a lane-splitting SOB. I currently live in Glendale and work in downtown LA (am from TX originally).When I first moved to CA I swore that I would never lane split and now I do it almost every time I commute on my bike. Here's what changed my mind about it:

1. I only do it when traffic is going 45 mph or slower so that I have a little more time to react if I need it.
2. I only go 5-10 mph faster than the cars around me.
3. I've watched so many CHP guys do it that I learned a bunch of tricks to do it safely.
4. I have very loud pipes, which makes those on the phone in traffic around me get out of the way, and also helps other cars hear me. My pipes have saved me from many a jam.
5. During rush hour, the space between the #1 and #2 lanes is twice as wide as my bike because all of the commuters in the LA area know that bikes split and they make plenty of room for them.
6. I would rather take matters into my own hands than have to worry about getting rear-ended every 5 seconds. I'm not sure that lane-splitting is any safer than staying in line, but I feel like I have more control when I'm splitting. There are accidents on almost every freeway in LA every single morning that are 99% rear-end collisions from folks doing too many things other than paying attention to the road while they are driving.

Everyone has to "ride their own ride" and choose where to be on the "risk ladder" so you're gonna do whatever you feel safe doing, regardless of what anyone else says - which is as it should be. I don't want to change anyone else's mind about how they ride, but above is why I changed my view on this. If you ask bikers in SoCal about this, many of them commute on bikes for the simple reason that they can split lanes. As an example, when I have to go down to my office in Irvine from LA, taking the car has been as much as 7 hours round-trip before and usually averages about 4-4.5 hours. On the bike I average 2 hours round trip.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I’m gonna buy a camera for my helmet so that I can show others what it’s like.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sgreen0313

I consider myself a very cautious rider. I don't ride like a nut with a death wish, but I'm a lane-splitting SOB. I currently live in Glendale and work in downtown LA (am from TX originally).When I first moved to CA I swore that I would never lane split and now I do it almost every time I commute on my bike. Here's what changed my mind about it:

1. I only do it when traffic is going 45 mph or slower so that I have a little more time to react if I need it.
2. I only go 5-10 mph faster than the cars around me.
3. I've watched so many CHP guys do it that I learned a bunch of tricks to do it safely.
4. I have very loud pipes, which makes those on the phone in traffic around me get out of the way, and also helps other cars hear me. My pipes have saved me from many a jam.
5. During rush hour, the space between the #1 and #2 lanes is twice as wide as my bike because all of the commuters in the LA area know that bikes split and they make plenty of room for them.
6. I would rather take matters into my own hands than have to worry about getting rear-ended every 5 seconds. I'm not sure that lane-splitting is any safer than staying in line, but I feel like I have more control when I'm splitting. There are accidents on almost every freeway in LA every single morning that are 99% rear-end collisions from folks doing too many things other than paying attention to the road while they are driving.

Everyone has to "ride their own ride" and choose where to be on the "risk ladder" so you're gonna do whatever you feel safe doing, regardless of what anyone else says - which is as it should be. I don't want to change anyone else's mind about how they ride, but above is why I changed my view on this. If you ask bikers in SoCal about this, many of them commute on bikes for the simple reason that they can split lanes. As an example, when I have to go down to my office in Irvine from LA, taking the car has been as much as 7 hours round-trip before and usually averages about 4-4.5 hours. On the bike I average 2 hours round trip.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I’m gonna buy a camera for my helmet so that I can show others what it’s like.

sgreen0313, I agree with ya!I commute from Temecula to San Diego, I ride most every day but I hate the days I have to drive the car [:@]

What pipe do you have on your bike? They look great! I am in the market for pipes, just trying to decide what to get...

Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SteveInCA

Here in CA it's legal to split lanes. I found myself doing it a lot when i rode sport bikes. I'm only 120 miles deep into my first harley. Do you guys ever split lanes/go in between cars? Is it a bad idea? I go to the front of the pack by riding between cars when cagers are stopped at a light. But more and more i find myself tempted to ride between and past cars while moving in lanes, due to the insane amount of traffic in los angeles. Thoughts?
Not legal in this state and even if it was...Nope, I wouldn't do it. Just my luck someone in an SUV would decide as I'm coming up to move into the next lane and I'd be the one payin the price. I'll stick to one full lane at a time.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in So Cal I did everyday when I went to work. No big deal as long as traffic is creeping. Not legal here in Georgia

Old 07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior

Here in SoCal I can't imagine not splitting lanes and just sitting there on the freeway not moving. You're on a motorcycle! You do it because you can!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Dale Franks & San Rico,

When I saw the I-40 I-25 reference I, too thought of Albuq. Grew up there and now live in SoCal.

Mark & Brian, the radio morning guys movedto L.A.from the South years ago and they were peeved to see cyclists splitting lanes so they announced on the airthat they wanted everyone in their cars to open their doors on the count of three to "disrupt" the lane splitting. Don't know if anyone got hit but I heard they were raked over the coals by the station GM (a Harley guy) for doing it!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM
sgreen0313
Tourer

thanks PJ. Here's some info on my pipes, along with video and audio goodies.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_753948/mp.../tm.htm#753948

Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: stevieg

Dale Franks & San Rico,

When I saw the I-40 I-25 reference I, too thought of Albuq. Grew up there and now live in SoCal.

Mark & Brian, the radio morning guys movedto L.A.from the South years ago and they were peeved to see cyclists splitting lanes so they announced on the airthat they wanted everyone in their cars to open their doors on the count of three to "disrupt" the lane splitting. Don't know if anyone got hit but I heard they were raked over the coals by the station GM (a Harley guy) for doing it!
Wow! I didn't know Mark & Brian said that! I really don't like those guys now!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
nickdv9
Advanced

Wow, more riders from SoCal than I thought!

I take a collection of freeways, including the Orange Crush, to work each day in OC and stick to the carpool lanes (cuts the ride from 50 min to 25). I'll split when traffic is stopped, or slow, but on occasion I have passed someone on the right side of the lane going 60+ when it's clear they know I'm there. Sometimes I let the sport bikes clear a path. When cagers are going 30 or so, I don't have the cojones to weave like the squids. It's too unpredictable.

I agree with the statement that the freeways are safer than streets and intersections, as long as you are smart. On the freeway, you're more likely to get yourself hurt with a bad decision.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmm, sounds like a death wish to me. I think I'll pass on the splitting for now.

But thanks for asking!

Quick Reply: Do you guys ever split lanes?