Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys ever split lanes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Do you guys ever split lanes?

It's not legal here. I have "split the lane" on the right side a few times when at a traffic light to advance and make a right had turn at the light. I wouldn't split lanes ever when traffic is moving even if it were legal. But, I probably would do it more often while sitting at a traffic light, if it were legal.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pjweber

Only their right hand on the throttle
Their left hand on their hip (what is up with that?)
Their left foot on the rear peg (again, what is up with that?)

See it's like this....

They're a little tea pot short and stout...there is the handle(hand on hip), there is the spout (hand on the throttle)......

Everytime I see one like that (including my friend at work) I start singing that. I told him that one day when he rode into the shop like that.....he was like "Wow, is that gay or what??" And quit riding that way. lol

Rev. George.....Chattanooga, Tn

Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 AM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gmerr2

See it's like this....

They're a little tea pot short and stout...there is the handle(hand on hip), there is the spout (hand on the throttle)......

Everytime I see one like that (including my friend at work) I start singing that. I told him that one day when he rode into the shop like that.....he was like "Wow, is that gay or what??" And quit riding that way. lol

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]Now I'l crack up even harder when I see this on the road, thanks Rev...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gmerr2

See it's like this....

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]Now I'l crack up even harder when I see this on the road, thanks Rev...
LOL!!! I just hope I can keep my bike on the road the next time I see one of those guys! [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, sport bikers ride with one hand on their hip as your wrists will begin to hurt after long periods of time being hunched over the bars with all the weight on their wrists. If you have ever ridden a sport bike the very slightest touch to the bars will change your direction compltely or make you swerve. I am not condoning this or saying it is safe, but you must try that kind of vehicle before making a serious judgement. Oh, and of course you all have never done anything unsafe on your bikes.

I used to lane split everyday for 8 hours on the freeways of Southern CA. I have never been in an accident as a result of lane splitting ever. I have however been in other accidents (none my fault) at intersections in the city due to cars not seeing me. I am of the opinion that the freeway is a much safer place to ride for the simple reason that traffic is all going inthe same direction and at approximately the same speed most of the time. Sure, we do have the people who want to change lanes and might not see you. There are idiots everywhere.

I have also been pulled over for "splitting lanes." The traffic was moving at about 10 or 15 miles an hour very sporadically. I was probably going about 25 or 30 with a friend splitting in front of me. The motorcycle officer pulled us over and gave us a warning informing us that the law states that we should not be going any more than 10 MPH faster than the traffic or what he deemed safe. He thought we were going too fast, however his bike was 3 tiems the size of ours as well. So my friend tells the officer he thought that he was "hindered by the bike" which happened to be a Kawasaki Police 1000. I was sure that we were going to get a ticket at that point in time, but he continued explaining his thinking and let us go on our merry way.

To finish up this long post, I rarely need to go anywhere on the freeway at rush hour anymore, but if I do I will split lanes cautiously. I am quite out of practice and always find myself letting the "squids" go in front of me to clear the way. It is true in theory that it is only safe to split when everyone is stopped, but I have not foudn this to be true in my own personal reality. To each his own and we al know that being alive and well along with your bike at the end of the day is the most important thing. Think about your loved ones...

Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM
rbcss
Tourer

Nope just sit in traffic like everybody else. the closest I come to that is the town I live in grows a lot of tobacco and when the tractors and trucks are stopped at a light sometimes I'll move up to the from of them.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, alot when I am on the freeways...but I tend to take on eof the bikes if I know I will be on the freeways after work. And I usually pull to the front of a light, unless it just turned green, I don't go out of my way to **** off the cagers

Old 07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
ChipR4cam
Intermediate

I put my hand on my hip/leg too. Of course the only time I do is when I want to see behind me lol. (no mirrors). I can't turn around and keep both hands on the bars.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:18 PM
eggroll
Road Master

It's because (even though they won't admit it) they're uncomfortable riding all hunched over in the Super Speedy Rocket Pilot position; I see 'em cruising down the highway like that all the time. They may be cool, but I'm cool and comfortable.

Original thread? No lane splitting for me; I'll just hang out with the caged masses, jump into the HOV lane when it frees up. I'll get home eventually.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commute in socal also( 100 miles daily)and never split lanes- it goes against basic principles of safe riding ie- put yourself in a position where you can see and also be seen. Too many erratic drivers out there making sudden lane changes without looking. I actually witnessed a guy on a stratoliner getting hit several weeks ago and it was his fault. If freeway traffic gets too nasty I can always find a great alternate route.

Quick Reply: Do you guys ever split lanes?