Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys ever split lanes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you guys ever split lanes?

ORIGINAL: pjweber

Their left hand on their hip (what is up with that?)
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
SanRico
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way. I don't trust the other guy.

I was in my truck the other day merging from I-40 onto I-25 and a guy on a sweet looking Fatboy didn't like how slow the merge was going so he passed everyone by getting on theshoulder...on the merge. I'm sure it was fun, but I'm surprised he didn't get squashed since all the cagers like to swerve their car onto the shoulder so they can see how far up the bottleneck is.

A beautiful fatboy doesn't mean much when yer ded.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

I dont know if it's legal or not in PA but I would guess it's not, but that doesn't stop me. If I'm behind some jackass I'll go between them but I dont make a habbit of it.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

Actually, here in California, lane splitting isn't exactly legal. What happened with lane splitting was that the CHP went to the legislature and asked them not to explicitly ban it, because they were all riding big air-cooled Electraglides, and they felt they needed to keep the bikes moving, even in traffic, to keep the heat down.

So, the current state of the law in California is that lane splitting is only allowed when it can be done safely. "Safely" is a pretty broad, though, and it's all in the eyes of the officer who observes it. The general rule among agencies in California is that officers won't get involved in stopping a lane-splitter if traffic is moving 5MPH or less.

So, lane-splitting--while nominally legal in some cases--is really a gray area, with a lot of room for interpretation on the part of an individual officer who observes it.

Practically? Lane-splitting is an extraordinarily bad idea.

Look, the most effective way of staying safe while riding is to give yourself the time and space to respond to dangerous situations. When you split lanes, you are voluntarily eliminating the time and space to react appropriately to someone in a cage who decides to, say,change lanes suddenly because "the other lane is faster". If something happens while you're splitting a lane...well, your screwed. You've got no where to go because you've eliminated your ability to swerve, or choose a different path of travel.

I see guys in sport bikes do it all the time, though, and all I can say is, "Don't expect me to weep for you when you get killed."

Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

I was in my truck the other day merging from I-40 onto I-25
Ah. You live in Albuquerque. I lived there for years.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
SanRico
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

I was in my truck the other day merging from I-40 onto I-25
Ah. You live in Albuquerque. I lived there for years.
Yessir, Albuquerque. And man, driving has gotten super aggressive on I-40 and I-25 over the past few years. I'm seeing suicidal moves on a daily basis.

Of course, half of them are teens in their "Fast and the Furious" wannabe cars, text-messaging as they drive.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
sjblack13
6th Gear

I do....I'm on the I5 in SoCal OC and it has the extra spacing in-between the car-pool and fast lane, you can almost get a car down it. In CA you can split the lane but the law reads you can only go 10mph faster than traffic....Iusuallydo 10-15mph faster. It makes my commute go from 1.5hr to 40min. The biggest thing I see are the A-Holes that see you coming and try to pinch you out (I think there mad they still have to sit in traffic and I’ll be home in minutes)

Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
MacAttack
Tourer

I used to when I lived in CA, only on very slow moving freeway commutes. I didn't go to the front of the line at stoplights, either, because I think both practices cause drivers to get pissed off.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When doing this, you really need to 'read' the traffic. It is safest when the traffic is bumper to bumper so there is no spots for the cars to move into to. As soon as gaps start to open up you really need to watch everyone. I started to watch the drivers reflection in their own side view morrors, this has helped me in figuring what they are going to do.

I have had CHPs on occasion be in traffic with me and they wave me in behind them which has been nice. One of the times a car started to squeeze the CHP off, don't know if it the car was doing thison purpose or not but the CHP lit up his siren and i never seen a car move back over so fast! Very funny!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1729103/tm.htm

Here is a previous thread with an artical that created alot of buzz in the local paper on the subject.

Quick Reply: Do you guys ever split lanes?