Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar & gas tank lift conflict

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:45 PM
DLeo19
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar & gas tank lift conflict

Greetings everyone, I recently sold my 2007 ZX6R (sport bike) and picked up a 2010 Iron 883. I absolutely love it, but I’m a taller guy and I’m in the process of installing some basic mods to help accommodate my stature. In addition to adding forward controls and an engine guard with highway pegs, I am trying to lift the gas tank. I started to do the lift with one of those 2” lift kits and I quickly realized that due to my 4” pullback handlebar risers, the tank was hitting the handlebars. Needless to say, I couldn’t lift the gas tank. I started looking into purchasing some straight risers to fix the problem, but maybe there is a better way or other options. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Longplay
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I also am having this issue with my new Superlow. I need to raise the tank for the look I want. The instruments are going to make that difficult without a set of risers. The HD shop out here says none are available. So I am looking into what options I have. Right now, as remote as I am, I am thinking a machine shop may be my only viable option...

Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 PM
DLeo19
6th Gear

Well at least I’m not alone

I know there are ways to fabricate straight risers, but I’m not comfortable doing that just yet. I’m sure there are some significant risks and drawbacks in doing so. Maybe some guys or gals on here have some risers they wouldn’t mind getting rid of.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by DLeo19
... I started looking into purchasing some straight risers to fix the problem, ...
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/hand...ts-c16-129.htm

Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 AM
DLeo19
6th Gear

Thanks Lewk. What about riser extensions? Would extensions fix the problem, are they compatible with my pullback risers? Picture is below. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts
Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by DLeo19
Greetings everyone, I recently sold my 2007 ZX6R (sport bike) and picked up a 2010 Iron 883. I absolutely love it, but I’m a taller guy and I’m in the process of installing some basic mods to help accommodate my stature. In addition to adding forward controls and an engine guard with highway pegs, I am trying to lift the gas tank. I started to do the lift with one of those 2” lift kits and I quickly realized that due to my 4” pullback handlebar risers, the tank was hitting the handlebars. Needless to say, I couldn’t lift the gas tank. I started looking into purchasing some straight risers to fix the problem, but maybe there is a better way or other options. Thanks in advance for the help!
I'm also on the tall side,..for a Sporty. You and I have longer arms and can easily reach the bars with a straight riser. The pull backs are for shorties. Trust me,...when you're on the freeway you're going to want your body more forward, at least upright, than back. Otherwise the wind will have it's way with you and your hands will fatigue from hanging on for dear life.

I dig my mids. I have highway pegs for when I want to stretch the legs out. Nice to have both options.

Seat choice is key. You'll probably want something that sits you back and low. Too forward and you'll feel like your on the gas tank. Too high and you'll feel like you're riding on top of the bike rather than in the bike.

The following users liked this post:
DLeo19 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 02:45 PM
DLeo19
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
I'm also on the tall side,..for a Sporty. You and I have longer arms and can easily reach the bars with a straight riser. The pull backs are for shorties. Trust me,...when you're on the freeway you're going to want your body more forward, at least upright, than back. Otherwise the wind will have it's way with you and your hands will fatigue from hanging on for dear life.

I dig my mids. I have highway pegs for when I want to stretch the legs out. Nice to have both options.

Seat choice is key. You'll probably want something that sits you back and low. Too forward and you'll feel like your on the gas tank. Too high and you'll feel like you're riding on top of the bike rather than in the bike.

I’m going to do that, I’ll replace the pull backs with straights. Not sure what size though, maybe 5.5”? I don’t really want the bars to be too high up, I don’t like that look regardless of how comfortable it may be.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are tall maybe bats without pullback would suit you better and also stop the tank lift conflict?

Sorry didn't read all the replies... Been answered 👍

Last edited by Tat2u; 07-31-2019 at 03:21 PM.
DLeo19 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 03:22 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

After changing handlebars and adding a tank lift on my Nightster, the bars just touched the tank. I added a small rubber stopper on top of the factory stop location. Only needed a 1/16" spacer to keep the bars off the tank.. Depending on how close yours is from not touching. This may be an option.

DLeo19 (07-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Handlebar & gas tank lift conflict