Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most comfortable touring seat for sportster

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Rise_
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol yeah kickflip got my names "flipped" around, I also didn't like that it left a gap between the seat and the tank like how it is with the sportster 48. The mustang seat is supposed to come in today so hopefully that's the seat for me.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:05 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

I think @cacomly recommended the Mustang Wide Touring seat.

The following 2 users liked this post by Packgrog:
Kem48 (07-26-2019), Roster (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Kem48
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Samrai309
I was looking at La Pera too when I was deciding. I don't remember seeing a Backflip. I was looking at a Kickflip before deciding on the Lucky Dave.
Yeah I love the looks of my La Pera bare bones but it doesn’t feel good after a couple hours. And makes my junk fall asleep; which is disconcerting to say the least! Sorry ladies TMI. So now I’m looking for something with at least a bit more padding. The mustang seats seem to be the way to go from what I’ve researched. Wish there was a way to see it on my bike as a lot of them look huge to me! And a way to try.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Samrai309
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise_
Lol yeah kickflip got my names "flipped" around, I also didn't like that it left a gap between the seat and the tank like how it is with the sportster 48. The mustang seat is supposed to come in today so hopefully that's the seat for me.
Yeah mine has a little gap too near the tank but I knew that going in. I am curious how your mustang seat will be. Keep us posted.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Samrai309
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kem48
Yeah I love the looks of my La Pera bare bones but it doesn’t feel good after a couple hours. And makes my junk fall asleep; which is disconcerting to say the least! Sorry ladies TMI. So now I’m looking for something with at least a bit more padding. The mustang seats seem to be the way to go from what I’ve researched. Wish there was a way to see it on my bike as a lot of them look huge to me!And a way to try.
Other than checking some different dealers that may have sample seats to put on, but I assume most would stock various HD seats only. I was driving home from an appt the other day and passed a cycle gear store that I didn't even know was there. I have never been in one and don't really know much about them. They sell a variety of seats online, I wonder if they have seats in store to test out.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Kem48
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Samrai309
Other than checking some different dealers that may have sample seats to put on, but I assume most would stock various HD seats only. I was driving home from an appt the other day and passed a cycle gear store that I didn't even know was there. I have never been in one and don't really know much about them. They sell a variety of seats online, I wonder if they have seats in store to test out.
Good idea!

Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
I think @cacomly recommended the Mustang Wide Touring seat.
Yes I use the Mustang Wide Touring seat with a backrest on my bike. I have 259,000 miles on the bike and probably 100 - 150,000 on the seat, I forget when I put it on.

I do a lot of long distance riding and have done several 24+ hour rides. The only limiting factor is my being able to stay awake, comfort is not a problem. Also note that I have a 400+ mile range due to an auxiliary fuel tank so I may be in the seat without stopping for longer periods of time than most riders (bladder permitting of course ...)

Please note, in my opinion the Mustang takes 1,000 or so to break in (or perhaps your butt needs 1,000 miles to get used to the firm seat?)

The following 2 users liked this post by cacomly:
Kem48 (07-26-2019), Traxxx (12-11-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:45 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 546 Likes on 465 Posts

I also used a Mustang wide tripper solo with backrest....looks better and it is comfortable, but not as comfortable as the wide vintage solo.....if looks matter.

Here is a Lepera Aviator which is also comfortable but not as comfortable as the wide vintage....just another option. and a lot better than the bare bones.

Last edited by hscic; 07-26-2019 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kem48 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

I wonder if the break-in period is standard across the board. I find my Saddlemen Explorer (used, came with the bike) to be fairly firm. I haven't ridden longer than an hour yet, and only put maybe 150 miles on the bike since getting it (hoping to change that trend dramatically with the new tires), so it could still just need more time. I don't know how many miles are even on this seat since the bike had a couple of prior owners and only 5300 miles on it when it came to me. I've seen comments about the Mustang being particularly cozy, but that it locks you into place more than other saddles, possibly making maneuvers that normally require shifting your butt more challenging. I've also seen comments about Corbin seats being far better than stock (and they certainly look fantastic), but being particularly firm compared to these other brands. *shrug* I've only gotten to try the Saddlemen, so I can't speak at all from experience.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
I wonder if the break-in period is standard across the board. I find my Saddlemen Explorer (used, came with the bike) to be fairly firm. I haven't ridden longer than an hour yet, and only put maybe 150 miles on the bike since getting it (hoping to change that trend dramatically with the new tires), so it could still just need more time. I don't know how many miles are even on this seat since the bike had a couple of prior owners and only 5300 miles on it when it came to me. I've seen comments about the Mustang being particularly cozy, but that it locks you into place more than other saddles, possibly making maneuvers that normally require shifting your butt more challenging. I've also seen comments about Corbin seats being far better than stock (and they certainly look fantastic), but being particularly firm compared to these other brands. *shrug* I've only gotten to try the Saddlemen, so I can't speak at all from experience.
It would make sense to me that other seats need to break in especially if they are firm seats like the Mustang. And as I said it could simply be the rider has to get used to the seat.

I have no issues shifting on my Mustang if I need to. During the Iron Butt Rally a few weeks ago I rode more twisties than I have cumulatively in my life and I was shifting my weight a fair amount during those rides.

Also, I could see a soft cushy seat like the Sundowner would make it more difficult to shift around since you are sinking into it more.

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Most comfortable touring seat for sportster