Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a non running 1976 Iron-head for a project bike.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
touchdown204
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Thanks for the input so far. The asking price is right in line with what you guys are saying, $600. If all is well I will offer less and see what happens.

I like projects like this, and not looking to fix and sell, more so a fun little project to take my time with.

Ill post an an update after I see it in person.
Go for it

Old 07-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

$600 ? What's to think about ? I am so envious . Something like that would probably sell for ten times that amount in the UK . If I had a project like that to occupy myself the winter months would pass by in an instant . Go for it .

Old 07-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,269 Likes on 10,092 Posts

Cant beleive the amount of fellers on here implying that that ironhead is worth basically $0. You would give nothing for it, tow it out and then try and sell it for $1500 bottom line. Typical American pickers bullshit. Here is an idea, let the OP restore the bike, while you sit and watch American picker reruns and go around claiming you know what everything is worth... sometimes it is about keepinmg the bikes around, not $$$. It is about that 76 Sportster getting to run again for a few more years instead of going to the scrap yard for someone's beer money.

Last edited by Super Glidester; 07-24-2019 at 08:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 596 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Cant beleive the amount of knuckleheads on here implying that that ironhead is worth basically $0. You same ******** would give nothing for it, tow it out and then try and sell it for $1500 bottom line. Typical trailer trash American pickers bullshit. Here is an idea, let the OP restore the damned bike, while you sit and watch American picker reruns and go around claiming you know what everything is worth... sometimes it is about keepinmg the bikes around, not $$$. It is about that 76 Sportster getting to run again for a few more years instead of going to the scrap yard for some *******'s beer money.
I couldn't agree with this more. I'm so tired of people bringing up "dollar value" with something I'm passionate about. My father in law does this all the time. I'm just like, who gives a ****, this stuff is fun! Personally, I'd be stoked to get a project like that. The process of the project (whichever direction the OP goes) is like god dang therapy.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dudepants
I couldn't agree with this more. I'm so tired of people bringing up "dollar value" with something I'm passionate about. My father in law does this all the time. I'm just like, who gives a ****, this stuff is fun! Personally, I'd be stoked to get a project like that. The process of the project (whichever direction the OP goes) is like god dang therapy.
LOL! You quoted me before the edit. I thought" man I am doing some name caling, I better clean that up" LOL! I took the a-hole, knucklehead etc out...of my original post.

The following users liked this post:
Dudepants (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dudepants
LOL! You quoted me before the edit. I thought" man I am doing some name caling, I better clean that up" LOL! I took the a-hole, knucklehead etc out...of my original post....

Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Billy W
Road Master
Received 717 Likes on 405 Posts

Do it! That's a good price. I did up a 1975 XLCH and loved it. Even broke even when I sold it. Miss it terribly!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I am going to look at it tomorrow night, I will most likely buy it.

Does anyone one know if a starter assembly from an ‘83 will fit?

im not 100% sure what’s missing from this bike, but I found a complete starter assembly from an ‘83 Ironhead, I tried looking for a micofische for part number comparison on Ronnie’s, and outpost but they don’t go that far back.

Any sources for microfiche with part numbers for a ‘76?

Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

So,

I started looking into what it will take to even try to fire it up.

$50 - fluids/lfiltres
$10 New Plugs
$100-300 on a starter, Not real sure what all is missing. (Calculatd avaege $150)
Clutch is out, May need some special tools to install a new one. $150 for the clutch + Misc $ for tools
New Battery - $120

That’s Almost what Id paying for the bike, and would get me up over $1K for a bike that may or may not run.

After that, New rubber and some things should be rebuilt like he carb, and intake boots, Thats pushing me up o $1500,

Add in some other things Like plug wires, a good tank cleaning, and mating jets with the ac/pipes set will add more cost.

I am honestly rethinking this, as for $2K I could be rolling on an early EVO..

Just need to think on this a bit, because If I am going to lay out that kind of coin, I may get way more
bang for my buck with a project bike that can fire up and ride down the road on day1

UGHHHHHH, I hate when I start over thinking things.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

You will spend that kind of money on any non-running project bike....even if it is running, you need to make sure it rides safe.

Why do you want an AMF Harley Ironhead? Don't get me wrong, I had an 80 Ironhead barn find that I bought for $800 and sold for $3500. Why did I pay that much...because it was basically original and I was planning to restore.

These are some of the basic stuff that I did to get it roadworthy:
Replaced both tires and added tube & rim strip
Replaced battery
Replaced rectifier
Rebuilt Carb
Replaced all fluids
Rebuilt caliper and replaced brake pad
Clean out fuel tank
Installed new petcock and fuel line
Installed crankcase vent line
Replaced air filter element
Replaced oil filter
Replaced spark plugs

Why not pick up a shovelhead, knucklehead, panhead as a project bike or a pre-69 or post-82 sporty...just curious about your thought process?

Suggest you do some research on what you want and go from there...Perhaps get something closer to what you want i.e. bobber that is running....if it's a 76 ironhead that you want, go for it.... but be prepared to spend some $$$ on owning a piece of history.

Good luck.

Last edited by hscic; 07-25-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a non running 1976 Iron-head for a project bike.