Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019 | 11:05 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Will be interesting to see what your friend says. To me, it looks like there might not be enough weld surface for the kind of load it will bear. I might be totally wrong.

As for the exhaust, if I ever get to build a scrambler, I want to model it after this one, in design, not cost. https://carduccidualsport.com/

He is over the top in design, probably a perfect handling bike, but at 40k.

My point was the exhaust design looks simple but very effective. And it uses a ready made muffler. If I am bot mistaken it comes off a 1000cc sport bike. Seems he mentioned that in a video somewhere.

Old 10-07-2019 | 09:25 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
Will be interesting to see what your friend says. To me, it looks like there might not be enough weld surface for the kind of load it will bear. I might be totally wrong.

As for the exhaust, if I ever get to build a scrambler, I want to model it after this one, in design, not cost. https://carduccidualsport.com/

He is over the top in design, probably a perfect handling bike, but at 40k.

My point was the exhaust design looks simple but very effective. And it uses a ready made muffler. If I am bot mistaken it comes off a 1000cc sport bike. Seems he mentioned that in a video somewhere.
I plan on adding some triangle supports that will be welded on the rear vertical face of the frame I cut off behind the shock mount and up to the bottom of the seat loop. At the end of the day, the seat loop will be carrying some of the passenger load of the seat and the rear fender. Most of the passenget seat load will be further forward on the main frame structure so I am not too worried.

The Carducci Sport bike looks like a hard core motorcross bike to me more than a scambler to me. The exhaust is pretty sweet. I did not know anything about Carducci Sport so thanks for sharing it. Thanks, G.B.

Old 10-07-2019 | 09:34 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Well, exhaust round two. I picked up a used RSD Vance & Hines Tracker 2 into 1 exhaust last weekend. Talking the RSD tech guys, they told me the pipe should bolt to my heads but they were not sure about rear shock clearance. Well it seems to bolt to the heads OK and with plenty of clearance for the O2 sensor mounts with plugs threaded into them. And shock clearance seems great.

I think the look of the exhaust fits the theme of my bike pretty good. I just now need to decide what my rear mounting bracket should look like and were to mount it? At first glance I am considering making a bracket that mounts to the gear case cover or one that mounts to the rear engine mounts? G.B.

Side view of mount

Rear shock clearance

Top view of mount

Old 10-07-2019 | 10:26 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Gone Blue
That exhaust looks really sweet. As for the triangles, that should solve the concern I had. Heck even bikes like the DR650 have to have those added if you are installing luggage racks

The following users liked this post:
Gone Blue (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019 | 10:30 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea as I said his is elite, he will build one for $43,000. Yikes. You are right it is a racer, but cool concept, closer to a dual sport than scrambler.

Old 10-07-2019 | 10:38 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Just an FYI, I did a search on craigslist today for sportster, with no price limits, within 1000 miles of my zip code. It turned up a lot of them, but the cheapest were 2 diff ones at $2800. Everything else is crazy high. Its mind boggling what bike prices are here. I did the same search for ultras, within 500 miles with top of $12,000 and min year 2009. It gave me 41 of them including a 2014 for $11,000, about 200 miles from me. If This were 10 months from now I would have called him.

Patience young Jedi

Old 10-08-2019 | 06:02 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Yea as I said his is elite, he will build one for $43,000. Yikes. You are right it is a racer, but cool concept, closer to a dual sport than scrambler.
Pricey for sure but bad ***! G.B.

Old 10-08-2019 | 06:21 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Just an FYI, I did a search on craigslist today for sportster, with no price limits, within 1000 miles of my zip code. It turned up a lot of them, but the cheapest were 2 diff ones at $2800. Everything else is crazy high. Its mind boggling what bike prices are here. I did the same search for ultras, within 500 miles with top of $12,000 and min year 2009. It gave me 41 of them including a 2014 for $11,000, about 200 miles from me. If This were 10 months from now I would have called him.

Patience young Jedi
That is interesting. Up here in Michigan I would say most of the Sportsters mid 90's and up are priced under $3,000. There are always a couple priced $1,500 - 1,900 but go really fast if you can imagine. There are way more bikes listed here for sale on Facebook Market Place vs Craigslist. I helped a friend jump from a Honda Shadow to Sportster late summer here. He bought a near perfect 2007' EFI XL883 all original except aftermarket forward controls with 5,000 miles on it for $2,900. The bike I bought was far from perfect but what made it a great deal was all the accessories that I could sell that I wasn't going to use. You need to be patient and then be ready to jump on a good deal when you find one. G.B.

Old 10-08-2019 | 11:14 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea true on the patience.

As a comparison, a year sgo I bought my 2007 1200L for $4400 with 16k on it, and got a good deal. It had (has) detachable windshield and sissy bar, but was otherwise stock.

Am not on facebook, but might have the wife look when the time comes.

The following users liked this post:
Gone Blue (10-08-2019)
Old 10-16-2019 | 08:51 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I found a solution for a fairly simple exhaust bracket design and made one up out of 10 gauge steel. It bolts to the lower rear engine mounting bolts and uses the stock 04' and up mounting bracket. compression limiters, grommets and nuts. Pretty happy how it turned out. Still waiting to set a time to have my friend weld on the seat loop. I can now also cut off the stock rear mounting bracket that is welded to the frame. This is what my belt is rubbing on with the larger rear wheel. G.B.

Welding skills sux but it will work

There is quite a bit of clearance between the new bracket mounting nuts and the swing arm that is not apparent in this picture.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project