Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019 | 12:48 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by handirifle
Hey I get that totally, I love the old scrambler look. As I told Whylee, I also looked at the Yamaha SCR950. Its a factory version of what you are building, BUT as I told Whylee, it does not have the aftermarket support the HD does.

My long term goal, has become, a big twin cruiser, and a pre 04 sportster, converted to a dual sport. A little more than a scrambler, maybe closer to an "adventure bike". My reasoning is even those dirt roads have some serious holes at times and long travel suspension soaks it up better. But that is for me.

Anxious to see how yours turns out and handles. Still have not seen Whylees dirty yet......
It will get dirty, I have been busy moving across town this past month. Plus I am OCD when it comes to my bikes and cars, if I get them dirty, I have to clean them right now, and since I knew I was to busy to clean it up, I have not taken any off road excursions yet, but I will, and take a picture before trying to clean all the dirt off.

Last edited by whylee; 07-03-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2019 | 12:58 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

Are you planning to use the belt, or convert to chain. Im running the belt now, but the chain drive looks so much better. I just need ti come up with a way to tension the chain, the chakn would eat the one I made for my belt.

Old 07-03-2019 | 02:46 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Lol just remembered. When I was in the Army, I bought a new '73 CB450 Honda. Ended up wishing I had bought the scrambler instead, as I spent nearly as much time in the dirt as on the asphalt. The low exhaust of the CB was dragging the ground a lot when I hit rain ruts. Got me stuck a few times because of it too.
Nice! We have all been there wishing we bought something else instead. That CB450 would be cool to have today though. G.B.

Old 07-03-2019 | 02:54 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by whylee
Are you planning to use the belt, or convert to chain. Im running the belt now, but the chain drive looks so much better. I just need ti come up with a way to tension the chain, the chakn would eat the one I made for my belt.
Going to run the stock belt for now. I am sure the belt life will be reduced running the bike in the dirt, but I don't think I will put that many miles on it in a year now owning two bikes. Can always add the chain later. Trying to keep this build under $3,500 complete if I can including the $1,700 I paid for the bike. I need to start selling the parts I don't need which could add up to $300-400 for the 3 seats, sissy bar, 2 complete exhaust systems, hyway pegs, 2 chain guards, and misc small pieces. G.B.

Old 07-09-2019 | 06:26 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I finally was able to find a 18 x 2.5" steel chrome rim that I think will work. I recently bought this Borrani Moto Guzzi 40 hole 18 x 2.5" rim with what looks like a deep drop center. I am hoping this rim will work with the Buchanan spokes I already purchased and lace up with my stock 97' Sportster rear hub. I want to have the rear wheel built up and the tire mounted before I finalize the position of the rear seat loop and rear fender. This rim is coming to me out of the UK so I wont have it for another 1-1.5 weeks.

Old 07-09-2019 | 07:37 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

Yep, get the wheel on and the rear suspension set befor doing the seat loop or fender. Waiting for parts is hard, but it gives you time to think things thru.

The following users liked this post:
Gone Blue (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019 | 11:59 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Its fun to watch builds that are "out of the box" for an HD. GB yes that CB would be a fun ride now. Lots of memories. Sadly it was stolen from me, and then I got orders to go to West Germany a month later.

Old 07-10-2019 | 05:27 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Its fun to watch builds that are "out of the box" for an HD. GB yes that CB would be a fun ride now. Lots of memories. Sadly it was stolen from me, and then I got orders to go to West Germany a month later.
That sux the Scrambler was stolen from you. I think that the pipes really make the looks on those bikes. Especially the bigger bikes like the 450's.

Old 07-10-2019 | 05:51 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior

I had my xr1200 as a scrambler for a while but one of my fave sportster scramblers was a guy on another website who made his look like the old xlch

Old 07-10-2019 | 06:13 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Gone Blue
That sux the Scrambler was stolen from you. I think that the pipes really make the looks on those bikes. Especially the bigger bikes like the 450's.
Yea it did. Mine was the CB450, just rode it like the scrambler

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project