Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020 | 05:59 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by whylee
The belt had too much slack without the tensioner. Once I went to chain, the chan was almost falling off it was so lose. I built a tensioner for the chain also that doubles as a adjustment also.
whylee, I forgot you did a chain conversion earlier this year. I really don't want to add an idler of any kind if I can help it. I am going to keep running the belt and try to keep an eye on it. Thx G.B.

Old 06-29-2020 | 09:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

GB one, not so obvious difference between the 883 and 1200, that might play a huge factor in your enjoyment, is gearing. The 883 has lower factory gearing, thus putting the grunt exactly where you want it on a scrambler, down REAL low.

If and when I ever get to do my project, it will be an 883 or an 883/1200 with 883 gearing. Not worried about top end with a scrambler. Since I am not planning any round the world, or even round the country, with a scrambler, stock gearing would suit me fine.

I do not have the cajones to 100plus in the dirt, never did. I get nervous on pavement that fast. In fact, that fastest I ever remember going on a bike is 110. I got nuthin to prove to me or anyone else. The thought of a blowout or some stupid critter running in front of me keeps me in 2 digit speeds, and for that, 883 gearing on knobby tires is plenty.

Old 12-18-2020 | 08:38 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I hope everyone is doing well and having the most fun that you can with all that is going on around us. I havent been this forum for awhile as I have been riding! I put over 1,100 trouble free miles on the Scrambler this year and it met and exceeded all of my aspirations and expectations. I think I also put like 1,700 miles on my FLHTC-I this year so for me pushing 3,000 miles, not a bad riding year. And then something crazy happened in September. Like I am sure alot of you, I have been spending too much time online looking at stuff I dont need to buy, haha.

Well, I came across a guy selling a 2011' URAL Patrol that was open for trades. I have had a 20 year fascination with URAL's since I saw one at a local dealer that has since closed many years ago. I flipped him some pics of the Scrambler and he was sold. So I traded the Scrambler with a little money on top for the URAL. If it wasnt for this trade deal I would be still riding the Scrambler. But this was a chance to get into a URAL for little money. I will build another Sportster if I find one for the right price. But for now the URAL is the most fun I have had going slow. They are slow, 64 mph top end but with the engageable 2WD and reverse, it is a blast on the dirt back roads I was riding with the Scrambler. I still have my FLHTC-I so I will be around this Forum on the EVO page. That is one bike I will never sell! I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Safe New Year! G.B.

Old 12-18-2020 | 12:07 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=Gone Blue;19607755]I hope everyone is doing well and having the most fun that you can with all that is going on around us. I havent been this forum for awhile as I have been riding! I put over 1,100 trouble free miles on the Scrambler this year and it met and exceeded all of my aspirations and expectations. I think I also put like 1,700 miles on my FLHTC-I this year so for me pushing 3,000 miles, not a bad riding year. And then something crazy happened in September. Like I am sure alot of you, I have been spending too much time online looking at stuff I dont need to buy, haha.

Well, I came across a guy selling a 2011' URAL Patrol that was open for trades. I have had a 20 year fascination with URAL's since I saw one at a local dealer that has since closed many years ago. I flipped him some pics of the Scrambler and he was sold. So I traded the Scrambler with a little money on top for the URAL. If it wasnt for this trade deal I would be still riding the Scrambler. But this was a chance to get into a URAL for little money. I will build another Sportster if I find one for the right price. But for now the URAL is the most fun I have had going slow. They are slow, 64 mph top end but with the engageable 2WD and reverse, it is a blast on the dirt back roads I was riding with the Scrambler. I still have my FLHTC-I so I will be around this Forum on the EVO page. That is one bike I will never sell! I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Safe New Year! G.B.

Very cool, its always fun to find things you always wanted. When you do, you have to jump on them. Im in the same boat now, I want a Road King Special, just cant find a dealer that isnt jacking the prices up. Good Luck and have fun with the new bike.

Old 12-18-2020 | 12:22 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

GB
Traitor! LOL, just kiddn, like yea I am one to talk, traded up my sporty for an Ultra. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I did enjoy your posts on the build, a lot.
The Ural, with its front swingarm, reminds me of a push me- pull you. Put a head light on the back fender and no one would have a clue which way you were going.

I read a book a while back where two guys took a tour with a Ural, but can't remember the name of it, for the life of me. They had some roadside issues, but managed to get through it, if I recall. Good luck, and enjoy that beast.

Old 12-18-2020 | 12:30 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Seems about the time we get these bikes how we like em, we trade em off. Been working on getting "the right sound" for my Ultra, and realized that right after I got the sporty sounding perfect, I sold it. Hmmmm hopefully this is not a recurring pattern.

I miss the sporty, but when I am cruising on the freeway at 75+ and its buttery smooth, I remember why I sold it. Even for my short trips into town (25 miles each way) and maneuvering in town, I realize I prefer this bike. The only advantage I miss is the sporty is a little easier to move around when I am walking it.

At this point, if I ever stepped back down in bike size, it would still prob be to a Dyna. That 6 speed makes all the difference to me. HD should have done that years ago.

Old 12-18-2020 | 05:26 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gone Blue
I hope everyone is doing well and having the most fun that you can with all that is going on around us. I havent been this forum for awhile as I have been riding! I put over 1,100 trouble free miles on the Scrambler this year and it met and exceeded all of my aspirations and expectations. I think I also put like 1,700 miles on my FLHTC-I this year so for me pushing 3,000 miles, not a bad riding year. And then something crazy happened in September. Like I am sure alot of you, I have been spending too much time online looking at stuff I dont need to buy, haha.

Have to admit, thats a NICE looking Ural - alot better than
most I've seen here locally (we have a dealer here)
Might consider getting a new front tire though...

Congrats!

T

Last edited by WKNDS; 12-18-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2020 | 05:56 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Whats the displacement of that thing? A top end of 64 isn't much. Of course with that thing hanging off the side, I bet it gets squirrelly above that.

Old 12-18-2020 | 07:22 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by handirifle
Whats the displacement of that thing? A top end of 64 isn't much. Of course with that thing hanging off the side, I bet it gets squirrelly above that.
Google is your friend. ... 749cc

T.

Old 12-18-2020 | 11:51 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Not as of late. Hoping with these anti trust suits, they go the way of US Steel.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project