Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020 | 06:43 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
HD should have a factory version like yours
Yes I think so. All the other manufactures seem to have a Scrambler in the offering? G.B.

Old 06-27-2020 | 12:53 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I have been wanting to add a tachometer to the Scrambler since the beginning of this project. After watching and looking at used OEM Harley Sportster tachs, I decided to go with this small Drag Specialties tach. I like the size and the gauge face kind of mimics HD graphics. I just made up a simple aluminum bracket that will mount with one of the handle bar clamp bolts. I wonder how bad it will vibrate? I might have to rubber mount it? I guess we will see how it goes. Now for some black paint and connect 3 wires and I will be in business. G.B.

Last edited by Gone Blue; 06-27-2020 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
duffy8540 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020 | 01:01 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yea that looks good on there. I would just use blue loctite for the first trial, unless you were concerned with actually being able to read it, lol.

Old 06-27-2020 | 01:03 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Looking back at your "got it dirty" pics, the bike looks right at home on those dirt roads, next to the water.

Old 06-27-2020 | 05:39 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Yea that looks good on there. I would just use blue loctite for the first trial, unless you were concerned with actually being able to read it, lol.
Haha handirifle. I was originally worried about the tach vibrating off the bike but your comment on being able to see it could be a legit concern, These hard mounted engine Sporty's are like a massaging chair. LOL

Old 06-27-2020 | 05:42 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Was looking at an article about a Ducati scrambler, this AM, and I thought, the sporty scramblers are every bit as nice, if not nicer, and way more product support. Probably more reliability too.

The Duc did have a weight advantage, and more hp (73) than an 883, but about the same torque (49). Their hp did not peak till past 8200rpm, and torque around 5700. Too high to be real useful in dirt, in my mind. And it had almost 6" of travel, but that can be easily had with shocks and front end mod.
I bet the sporty wins hands down in maintenance required, and cost to own. I think I would go for an SCR950 before the Duc.
A 1200 Sporty has a lot more grunt with virtually no weight difference over an 883. If I was to do it all over, I would have held out for a 1200. That being said, I have no interest in punching this one out to 1200 or larger. I am just going to ride it and enjoy it as it is. G.B.

Old 06-27-2020 | 05:50 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Thats one thing they pointed out in the article about the ducati. Its an 800 and the author felt it had plenty of power. We have all gotten a little power crazy over the decades. I am 67 and well remember the days when the Honda 750-4 was a superbike. My second new bike was a '73 CB450, and I thought that bike was very fast. Rode 2 up whenever I could get a lady friend back there, and never got worried about power.

Now I still do not worry about power, but the bike is nearly 1700cc and weighs twice as much. Of course, almost never got on the freeway with them back then, amd now its mostly freeway.

Yup times have changed. Need to get back to the previous times, in a lot of ways.

Old 06-28-2020 | 08:07 AM
whylee
Road Warrior

You have done a great job, bike looks great.
How is your belt tension with those longer shocks? I had to make a tensioner for mine to control it.

Old 06-28-2020 | 02:32 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by whylee
You have done a great job, bike looks great.
How is your belt tension with those longer shocks? I had to make a tensioner for mine to control it.
Thank you whylee!

Well not sure to be honest? I followed the belt tension instructions that came with the shocks for the most part. I removed both rear shocks and with the bike on a jack, I used another jack to raise the rear wheel to level out/center the belt with the swing arm as best I could. I then checked the belt tension with the belt centered with the swing arm and found it to be in spec. So I did not change it from how I had it set originally. With the bike setting on the ground with its own weight, the belt is pretty loose. I get a little set-in with the rear shocks when I am sitting on the bike but nowhere near to having the belt centered when I checked it. I haven't had any ratcheting issues so far, I just might not get great belt life? However, riding all the dirt roads with it I am already shortening the belt life a little I am sure. I think I will eventually do a chain conversion for looks if nothing else?

Were you getting ratcheting with the drive belt? Why did you add the idler? G.B.

Old 06-28-2020 | 04:44 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

The belt had too much slack without the tensioner. Once I went to chain, the chan was almost falling off it was so lose. I built a tensioner for the chain also that doubles as a adjustment also.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project