Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020 | 09:03 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

GB thats a nice looking bike. Having a detachable trunk is how I would eventually have mine as well. I believe in order to get a decent bike, it looks like I will have to trade in the sporty, maybe. I have asked over on the touring bike section, and most advise against the 96" and instead go with the 103", and here you are with an 80" bike. My 2 up rides will probably be about 10-20% of the miles I put on the bike.

Most also suggested going 2009 or later for the newer frame, but I am starting to find myself wondering if I need either.

Am trying to set up a appointment tomorrow to test a 2007 and a 2012. Anyway, hijacking your thread here.

Have you ridden yours 2 up much? I know the 80" is not much bigger than a sportster engine, so I know its no rocket, but I really do not need a rocket. If I did, I should look at a KTM, lol.

Old 04-17-2020 | 09:33 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
GB thats a nice looking bike. Having a detachable trunk is how I would eventually have mine as well. I believe in order to get a decent bike, it looks like I will have to trade in the sporty, maybe. I have asked over on the touring bike section, and most advise against the 96" and instead go with the 103", and here you are with an 80" bike. My 2 up rides will probably be about 10-20% of the miles I put on the bike.

Most also suggested going 2009 or later for the newer frame, but I am starting to find myself wondering if I need either.

Am trying to set up a appointment tomorrow to test a 2007 and a 2012. Anyway, hijacking your thread here.

Have you ridden yours 2 up much? I know the 80" is not much bigger than a sportster engine, so I know its no rocket, but I really do not need a rocket. If I did, I should look at a KTM, lol.
haha no worries. If I was going to buy a Twinkie it would be a 2007' and likely just be an 88 CI. The 80 CI in my bike will take you as fast as you want to go in comfort on the highway when I ride it by myself. No problem running highway speeds and if your doing 80mph and need to pass someone there are no issues, she pulls really nice. My bike is an all stock EFI bike except some I added 1990's Screamin Eagle mufflers. I have not ridden 2 up much. Have had my GF (130 lb ish) on the back a few times and dont know she is back there. Like you, I would chose a different bike if I wanted to go fast. I bought that bike from a HD dealer 5 years ago in November with 40,000 miles on it for $5,300 OTD. Cant beat it. It still brings a smile on my face every time I ride it. I have put on over 20,000 in the 5 years and just had my first issue the end of last season losing the stator. Stators going bad around 60,000 miles on older bikes is pretty common. Once I replace the stator, I again will not hesitate to ride that bike across country. One last thing. 2 years ago I rode 60 some miles to a HD for a Demo ride. Road a new 2018 Road Glide and Road King. Loved them. Awesome! They were fast, smooth, tight, and road great. Jumped on the old girl for the 60 plus mile ride home and couldn't be happier. Cant see ever selling the 97' EG. But I like older stuff and work on my bikes were alot of people dont? Good luck with whatever you like and decide but build a damn Sporty!!!!. G.B.

Last edited by Gone Blue; 04-17-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2020 | 09:43 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Now I do not know how you ride, but a lot of folks acted like the pre '09 bikes were squirrelly in the curves, butI do not know how THEY rode them either. Ever have handling issues? Thanks for the report.

Old 04-17-2020 | 09:46 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

LOL just figured out what the heck a twinky was. Why just an '07? The dealer just happens to have one listed, a 96". 47K miles, but not as worried about that, since I doubt I will add 10k a year.

Last edited by handirifle; 04-17-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2020 | 07:33 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Now I do not know how you ride, but a lot of folks acted like the pre '09 bikes were squirrelly in the curves, butI do not know how THEY rode them either. Ever have handling issues? Thanks for the report.
I never had any handling issues with the 97' EG. It is very well balanced and super easy to ride. I think it is way easier to ride than my first Harley which was a 2004' Sportster 1200 Custom even being some 400 plus lbs heavier. I can come up to a stop and not have to put my feet down. I dont canyon carve with the bike and just take it easy. Last years trip to Virginia from Michigan had us ride lots of amazing roads and I loved it. We did 1,600 miles in 3 1/2 days. Awesome trip! G.B.

Old 04-18-2020 | 07:39 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

LOL just figured out what the heck a twinky was. Why just an '07? The dealer just happens to have one listed, a 96". 47K miles, but not as worried about that, since I doubt I will add 10k a year.
Haha, why only a 2007'? Because I am cheap. The 2007' gives you all of the new upgrades at a lower price point. 2007' was the first year for the Twinkie hydraulic cam chain tensioners and the 6 speed transmission. I also think that 07' gives you a bigger gas tank and larger rear tire but don't quote me on that. What more do you need? G.B.

The following users liked this post:
Ben221 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 12:17 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

There ya go. The ones I see listed, show a 5 gal tank, so I think the 6 gal came in 2009, I think. I am definitely going to ride a 96" before I give up on them. If I can cruise easily at 70-75 freeway, 2 up, then I will be satisfied. I do not need a 80-90 mph cruiser. If I ever do decide I want more, the 96 is a good base to build on. But I doubt I will.

Plus getting an older bike might allow me to keep the sportster, or sell this one and build a scrambler.

Old 04-20-2020 | 01:59 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

There ya go. The ones I see listed, show a 5 gal tank, so I think the 6 gal came in 2009, I think. I am definitely going to ride a 96" before I give up on them. If I can cruise easily at 70-75 freeway, 2 up, then I will be satisfied. I do not need a 80-90 mph cruiser. If I ever do decide I want more, the 96 is a good base to build on. But I doubt I will.

Plus getting an older bike might allow me to keep the sportster, or sell this one and build a scrambler.
Perfect, I like the way you are thinking now handirifle! Keep me posted on what buy. G.B.

Old 04-20-2020 | 02:12 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

The Scrambler is all assembled and ready to ride! The only thing missing is the Badlands LE-03 module so I can hopefully have functioning turn signals. Then the only other I need to do is paint the front fender silver and swap out the dented blue gas tank for a perfect silver tank I picked up. I am happy with how it turned out. Most people that I have seen build something similar, blacked everything out. I loved the blacked out look. However, I was trying to keep cost down. Since I used the stock 19" front wheel, I didn't see the point with stripping it down to have the rim powder coated with the hard time I had trying to find someone to true a spoked lace wheel and the extra cost. That and this bike came with a lot of extra chrome pieces on it. So I decided to embrace the chrome theme which is different form other Scramblers I have seen. FYI, that is a small Biltwell fork bag layed on its back in the rack. I wanted a small bag for the rack to carry an extra layer, glasses, etc and didn't find a lot of options that would fit the rack. This has been a fun and rewarding relatively inexpensive project. Cant wait for the stay home shelter restrictions to be lifted so I can do some riding. G.B.

Last edited by Gone Blue; 04-20-2020 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gone Blue:
T-Steve (04-20-2020), toomuchstuff (04-24-2020)
Old 04-20-2020 | 03:05 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

GB
That bike looks like it rolled off the HD floor built that way. Willie missed his mark. An alum frame and swingarm, larger tank, and good suspension travel and he would have sold tons of em.

Your bike will compete with any trumpet scrambler ever produced. You and whylee sure do nice work.

That will be a fun ride.

ps. I mentioned the alum parts to bring weight down of a production bike.

Last edited by handirifle; 04-20-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project