Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019 | 12:50 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

I went to Tracker Die, they make a fork damper tube kit that is 11 1/2 inchss to replace the oem 7 1/2 inch.
You can run them with the 2 inch spacer they come with for a 2 inch increase, or without for 4 inch.

Old 06-28-2019 | 01:03 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Think light and I would be trying to lighten it as much as possible. Is there a nice plastic tank you could use?

subscribed.

Old 06-28-2019 | 02:03 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

If you have a carbed model, there are far mor options. Mine is a 2018, so with fuel injection, far less options.
I have been kicking around the idea of removing the fuel injection someday. Just runs to good now to mess with it.

Old 06-28-2019 | 02:16 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

I do still have the small peanut tank, that would save a couple of pounds. I just dont like the look on the bike now, and I like haveing a extta 2 1/2 gallons of fuel. I really want to put a Honda XR 600 front suspension and a nice aluminum triple tree set up. That removes about 25 lbs. Then maybe a lighter rear shock set up sooner or later.
Or I may end up letting this one go, and start over with a older bike and really do it the way I want starting out with a lighter and less complicated ( as far as electrical and rubber mounting ) bike. New winter project maybe.

Last edited by whylee; 06-28-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2019 | 01:11 PM
Omeezus
Advanced

I'm a big fan of tracker style seats. Heres my pic for a pre-04 sporty.

https://zerohourmoto.com/collections...12149381660780

for rims:

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/black-...illet-hub.html

You can use that one front and back I believe. Just need to switch pulley/sprocket bolts. And it's tubeless.

Old 06-30-2019 | 01:53 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

They look good, i like the fact the wheels can be used without a tube. Not sure what would be lighter, a steel wheel without a tube, or a aluminum wheel with a tube. Its probably a wash at that point.

Old 07-03-2019 | 12:08 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
Gone Blue
I like the white bike, except, the front end is too low, in my opinion. I mean first off the bottom of the frame is not level, as it should be, and second, a scrambler NEEDS suspension travel. Why lower a scrambler front end? That seems counter intuitive to me.

I am only 5'7" with a 29" inseam and I would go 15" shocks in the rear and at least the Sportster "R" dampers to lift the front, giving you about 5 1/2" travel. Or as Whylee did and get more. Install a nice soft set of progressive springs and let them easily soak up those off road bumps.

You guys are making me jealous.
Thanks to all for your input and comments. Like with all of our bikes, accessories, mods, etc is a personal decision. For me, I want this scrambler to look like the original Honda Scrambler from back in the day. Those original scramblers did not have long travel suspension. Other than knobby tires and different exhaust, they were mostly cosmetic adds. I like the look of a shorter fork and the bike to sit more level is why I am using the 2" drop fork kit. I don't plan on riding this thing on trails or jumping it in off road parks. I plan to ride the bike around town and down the thousands of miles of dirt roads near my home in Michigan. A large number of parts came in this week while I am planning how I am going to position and mount the rear seat loop. What is the saying? Measure twice cut once. I think I am measuring like 20 times to cut once

Current state

Delivery form Lowbrow Customs and TC Bros!

Lowbrow Customs Hooligan exhaust along with their grips, shift peg, rear master brake cylinder cover, and fork gaiters, Burly Stiletto 13" shocks and their 2" drop progressive fork kit, TC Bros MX handlebars and skid plate

Playing with position and how I am going to weld on the 1" Dime City seat loop. I ordered a small piece of 0.75" SAE1018 steel rod that should slide into the seat loop. My plan is to shape 2 small pcs that will match up to the sloped contour of the original fender bracket. Then the plan is to weld it up with a cross support and some diagonal brackets.

Speedometer bezel was chewed up

Found this aluminum bezel on eBay for $7.80 shipped

Would have preferred to run with the stock bezel but couldn't stand the it being chewed up

Shinko 804: 100/90-19 and 805: 120/90-18 tires

Last edited by Gone Blue; 07-03-2019 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_bravo00 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019 | 12:26 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I still don't have an 18" rear rim to lace up with the stock Sporty rear hub. I have bought two rims only to find out that the first one was advertised wrong and was actually a 18 x 2.15 and not 18 x 2.5 and the second one was a V-Twin 18 x 2.5 that was supposed to be in stock but was not. V-Twin has these rims on back order for a minimum of 6 weeks. However, V-Twin told me that they have not sold one since January 2018, I am not optimistic I would get one any time soon. There are a number of used and new aluminum 18 x 2.5 rims out there like whylee used, but I was planning to run the stock front wheel like it is and don't wasn't to spend another couple hundred dollars to add an aluminum rim on the front hub. TC Bros sells a new complete scrambler 18 x 2.5 wheel for $224 but they too are back ordered till mid September. So I am down to considering a steel chrome Borrani Moto Guzzi 18 x 2.5" 40 hole rim I found in the UK. I am pretty sure it will work with the Sporty rear hub and the Buchanan spokes I already purchased? Stay tuned. G.B.

Old 07-03-2019 | 12:32 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Hey I get that totally, I love the old scrambler look. As I told Whylee, I also looked at the Yamaha SCR950. Its a factory version of what you are building, BUT as I told Whylee, it does not have the aftermarket support the HD does.

My long term goal, has become, a big twin cruiser, and a pre 04 sportster, converted to a dual sport. A little more than a scrambler, maybe closer to an "adventure bike". My reasoning is even those dirt roads have some serious holes at times and long travel suspension soaks it up better. But that is for me.

Anxious to see how yours turns out and handles. Still have not seen Whylees dirty yet......

The following users liked this post:
Gone Blue (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019 | 12:39 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Lol just remembered. When I was in the Army, I bought a new '73 CB450 Honda. Ended up wishing I had bought the scrambler instead, as I spent nearly as much time in the dirt as on the asphalt. The low exhaust of the CB was dragging the ground a lot when I hit rain ruts. Got me stuck a few times because of it too.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project