Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020 | 08:27 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
For the rear attachment point, I would consider taking a page from an ATV. I am not sure what they are called, but mine have these round nylon extensions, with pointed tips, that snap into round rubber receptacles that hold the seat down. My old (86) Honda ATV also has a lever on the side to unlock it.

Wondering if you thought of using an ATV seat pan as a starting point, or even a older dirt bike seat. I don't think newer ones would work as well, since they are shaped more like a thong bikini, than a real seat.
My plan to fasten down the rear of the seat is to weld a pair of metal tabs to the seat loop near the back of the seat and then weld a couple bolts to the seat pan. I need to mock it up to be sure, but I think I can make it work since the studs or bolts will not need to be very long. Then all I need to do is drive a couple nuts on the studs to secure the seat. I am fastener engineer for a living and I like nuts and bolts, haha Unless I have an electrical problem there is no need to remove the seat on a regular basis. G.B.

Old 03-17-2020 | 08:31 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by whylee
Doing a great job.
Thanks whylee!

Old 03-17-2020 | 08:47 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

The one area I would like to improve on my bike is the seat. I want a hoop, with a regular enduro type seat and a rear fender. Maybe with all this virus stuff going on I will just spend some quaility garage time on it.

Old 03-17-2020 | 09:45 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

GB
This is a horrible edit but I think you will get the idea.

You have to zoom in to see my high quality yellow lines

The top above the yellow lines would be solid. Picture a rectangular pan about 1" deep, with one end cut off, and turned upside down over your opening. The open end would be towards the front of the bike. This would protect your "kids" and the seat foam.

Old 03-17-2020 | 09:48 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

You could make it by bending a 3/4" or 1" flat bar into a U and then bending a flat piece over the top and back. Tack al this together and you are done. A 3/4" might be more than enough. Just remember it has to go in at an angle.

Old 03-18-2020 | 09:12 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

You could make it by bending a 3/4" or 1" flat bar into a U and then bending a flat piece over the top and back. Tack al this together and you are done. A 3/4" might be more than enough. Just remember it has to go in at an angle.
Oh cool! That sounds simpler than I was envisioning. Thanks handirifle

Old 03-18-2020 | 12:16 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Good. That method came to me as I was typing. Will be looking forward to seeing how it works. I am envious of yours and Whylees projects.

Old 03-18-2020 | 07:16 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I know you guys are/have built scramblers, but if I ever get the chance to do this, I want a dual sport. Plastic fenders and all. My preference is even a pre rubber mount, for weight savings, and that would include plastic fenders. Never owned a true scrambler though, so maybe someday if I ever get to test ride one, I might change my mind if I did, who knows.

While not a true dirt biker, I have owned several dual sports and really liked them. Those however are a lot lighter, like 350 or less. My last was an '86 XL600R. Was a blast to ride, but a true bit*h to start. That was the only bike I do not regret sellng.

Bad part, is dual sports out here sell for as much as a used sporty. A 6 yr old KLR or DR650 will go for $4000.

Last edited by handirifle; 03-18-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2020 | 08:11 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I know you guys are/have built scramblers, but if I ever get the chance to do this, I want a dual sport. Plastic fenders and all. My preference is even a pre rubber mount, for weight savings, and that would include plastic fenders. Never owned a true scrambler though, so maybe someday if I ever get to test ride one, I might change my mind if I did, who knows.

While not a true dirt biker, I have owned several dual sports and really liked them. Those however are a lot lighter, like 350 or less. My last was an '86 XL600R. Was a blast to ride, but a true bit*h to start. That was the only bike I do not regret sellng.

Bad part, is dual sports out here sell for as much as a used sporty. A 6 yr old KLR or DR650 will go for $4000.
handirifle you just need to come to the Midwest to find yourself a cheap hard mounted engine Sporty so you can build your Harley dual sport. I think I mentioned this earlier that I paid $1,700 for my non running 97' with 19,000 miles on it. After selling all the parts I did'nt need the bike cost me $1,200. Even after having a custom seat made, I will have less than $4,000 total into this bike and parts. Cant beat it. G.B.

Old 03-19-2020 | 08:34 AM
whylee
Road Warrior

A friend of mine just bought a 97 Sporty needed a battery and carb rebuild with 18000 miles for 500. They are out there.

The following users liked this post:
Gone Blue (03-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project