Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020 | 07:23 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Close to finishing up the fab work on the Scrambler. Worked on rear fender mounts. G.B.

Rubber grommets for rear fender rear mount

Found grommets at the hardware store that fit the stock Sportster rear fender compression limiters

I trimmed down the stock rear fender front side plastic fender extension

A shot of the rear fender with the plastic fender extension

Rubber mount for the front side of the rear fender using the stock mount

Rubber mount with compression limiters for the rear fender rear mount which combines the rack mount

Old 03-01-2020 | 07:36 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I also finished up with mounting the rear lamp and license plate bracket along with rear turn signal mounts. So what fab work I am left with after this weekend is welding small tabs across the underside of the rear fender for rear lamp wiring and making a seat pan. I started a cardboard template for the seat pan but it needs to be redone. G.B.

I drilled a hole in the outsider of the seat loop and welded hex flange nuts to mount the rear turn signals. I need to drill a small hole on the inside of the seat loop to pull the turn signal wires through.

I think mounting the turn signals to seat loop is cleaner than adding small brackets for mounting the turn signals

I am pretty happy with how it is all coming together.

Old 03-02-2020 | 05:03 PM
duffy8540
Tourer

Looking good......

Old 03-17-2020 | 01:11 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by duffy8540
Looking good......
Thanks, fun project for me. G.B.

Old 03-17-2020 | 01:29 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Working on the last bit of fab which is the seat pan. Made some progress this week. I bought a 12" shot bag and a plastic hammer to form a curved piece if steel to cover the rear fender. Never formed steel like this before so looking forward to it. This is the last piece I need to make and then I can smooth out the edges and weld it up. Ignore the two large holes in the seat pan. I got frustrated trying to cut holes to clear the relay bracket mounts so the holes look like crap. Fortunately they will be covered by the seat foam and you wont see them

After I spent a lot of time adding the front hole in the pan to accept the original seat hook, I realized that I might have to modify it a bit? This will depend on how the seat foam and cover is wrapped around the seat pan. Will have to discuss this with whoever I chose to do the seat.
G.B.

The following users liked this post:
johnny_bravo00 (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020 | 06:08 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

GB looks fantastic to me. Works in progress, always need minor "adjustments" as you go. For the seat hook, I would weld a "cap" over the thing, just high enough to allow the tang to fit properly, and thus not interfere with installing or removing the seat. If I am not clear, let me know and I will try yo post a "drawing" of my thought.

Old 03-17-2020 | 06:17 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

For the rear attachment point, I would consider taking a page from an ATV. I am not sure what they are called, but mine have these round nylon extensions, with pointed tips, that snap into round rubber receptacles that hold the seat down. My old (86) Honda ATV also has a lever on the side to unlock it.

Wondering if you thought of using an ATV seat pan as a starting point, or even a older dirt bike seat. I don't think newer ones would work as well, since they are shaped more like a thong bikini, than a real seat.

Old 03-17-2020 | 06:18 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 03-17-2020 | 07:02 PM
whylee
Road Warrior

Doing a great job.

Old 03-17-2020 | 08:18 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
GB looks fantastic to me. Works in progress, always need minor "adjustments" as you go. For the seat hook, I would weld a "cap" over the thing, just high enough to allow the tang to fit properly, and thus not interfere with installing or removing the seat. If I am not clear, let me know and I will try yo post a "drawing" of my thought.
Thanks handirifle! Oh good idea on the cap. Wasn't sure how I was going to finish that part of the pan off but that makes sense. I think I have an idea on what you are suggesting for the cap. However if you have a sketch you want to throw out there, that would be great. A picture is worth a 1,000 words. G.B.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project