Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019 | 08:42 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Default My Version

88 883 chassis, lightened by almost 50 pounds. Removed rear fender, struts, strut covers,exhaust and mount, factory oil tank, battery box, battery and cover, trimmed lower legs, triple clamp, fork lock, factory 1 inch bars and controls all met the scrap pile.

Removed fender, struts, strut covers and hand rolled and beaded my own rear fender. It now has 13.5 Progressives on rear, as they give proper geometry and clearance. Aux gas tank is Honda Trail 90 with integrated helmet lock.

Aermacchi TX125 tank, with factory graphics

Buell XB9 bars, Honda CL 350 controls, Malcolm Smith hand guards, hand- rolled number board with Honda Z50 headlite frenched in.

One off full titanium exhaust, weighs 11 pounds.

Tip of the cap to my boy, Nicky69.

Hand rolled and beaded frame covers with a sight glass for oil level check, at a glance, cut down factory solo seat.

Xb9 bars, simple oil pressure, neutral light, hi beam layout.

Old 11-14-2019 | 06:36 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

ranchodeluxe, looks sweet! How does that Honda tank helmet lock work? Do you have any close ups of your drive chain sprocket cover with the slots? Did you just mill the slots in the stock cover? G.B.

Old 11-14-2019 | 10:30 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Ranco
Interesting muffler hanger you have there. Is that a right side or left side sportster foot peg bracket?

For my taste I would lose the number plate. I think it detracts from the clean lines you created. For me only, I would go with something like a DR650 headlight setup. When I am on the road I want to see and be seen, big time, day or night. But, its not my build. Nice work.

What does it weigh now?

Old 11-14-2019 | 12:53 PM
duffy8540
Tourer

Perhaps we'll run into each other riding the Hills one of these days.

Old 11-15-2019 | 09:06 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gone Blue
ranchodeluxe, looks sweet! How does that Honda tank helmet lock work? Do you have any close ups of your drive chain sprocket cover with the slots? Did you just mill the slots in the stock cover? G.B.
its integral to the bracket that secures the auxiliary tank. You slip the metal part of your chin strap into the lock, turn the key, a metal rod engages it and holds the lid. Yes, just a milled stock cover.

The following users liked this post:
Gone Blue (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019 | 09:22 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

Originally Posted by handirifle
Ranco
Interesting muffler hanger you have there. Is that a right side or left side sportster foot peg bracket?

For my taste I would lose the number plate. I think it detracts from the clean lines you created. For me only, I would go with something like a DR650 headlight setup. When I am on the road I want to see and be seen, big time, day or night. But, its not my build. Nice work.

What does it weigh now?
left side Sportster footpeg bracket. It was already powdercoated black, just had to mill the face of the muffler mount point a bit and it fits, totally stress free. Its a one off, full titanium system. I may build a more substantial rear fender. I think the huge muffler can kind of overwhelms the back end of the bike.

I looked at dozens of headlight setups. A DR setup is too modern and cheesy looking. This is a Honda Z50 bucket with a handmade number board. I wanted a unique look, whether coming or going. I used a late Trail 70 (12v) bulb, so the lighting is Ok. I dont ride at night here, too many deer and elk. If I do, I ride something with proper lighting.

After removal of rear fender, struts, strut covers, tail light, oil tank, batt box, exhaust, exhaust mount, headlight, wire harness, stock sidestand and mount, fork lock, etc, it weighs just a feather over 400 pounds. Its a great handling machine. The Metzeler Karoo tires are great on pavement, but they give a cool feeling little rumble.

thanks for the input.

Old 11-15-2019 | 09:25 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

Here is the front fender. Just about done. Kind of a vintage Triumph or Honda Scrambler look.

Old 11-15-2019 | 09:37 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

You say you got rid of the oil tank and batt box, but what did you replace them with? The battery could be a lithium, for less weight, but you have to have oil somewhere.
I have often wondered why HD didn't use a frame member for oil storage.

Old 11-15-2019 | 10:12 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I have another question. You did so many changes I am trying to get in your head to see why. :-). I get what you said about the headlight. On the rear brake, looks like you dumped the factory caliper and mount, and went to something else. Info on that? Thanks.

I agree on the muffler, it looks a bit oversized compared to your minimalist design.

Old 11-15-2019 | 10:55 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe
left side Sportster footpeg bracket. It was already powdercoated black, just had to mill the face of the muffler mount point a bit and it fits, totally stress free. Its a one off, full titanium system.
...snip....
That footpeg bracket is a hefty cast iron piece (weight). Seems like if you're trying to save weight
(you keep mentioning the titanium exhaust) you could fabricate a chromoly tube-mount that would
be alot lighter and perhaps look a bit better/custom.

T.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project