Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Scrambler Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019 | 06:32 PM
fergusoneddie
Novice

Originally Posted by duffy8540
Perhaps I shouldn't have referred to age (I'm 69) but mileage instead.......this body is very high mileage.......been rode hard and put up dirty too many times.
I'm 60 with a 1 year old liver transplant. I'm not doing any off roading with it when (if) I get it done... Maybe somebodies grave driveway

I just want something different than a bobber, etc. Something that maybe make people do a quick double take.

Ed

Old 10-29-2019 | 01:06 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yea a scrambler from a sporty would warrant a double take, for sure. Although since Harley owners usually always make their bikes, their own, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone.

The following users liked this post:
crnt918 (02-20-2020)
Old 10-29-2019 | 08:27 AM
fergusoneddie
Novice

Originally Posted by handirifle
Yea a scrambler from a sporty would warrant a double take, for sure. Although since Harley owners usually always make their bikes, their own, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone.
Agreed. But I have never seen a HD scrambler look alike in Chicagoland/NW Illinois ever.

Ed

Old 10-29-2019 | 09:06 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior

I gotta say, I do like these bikes, but did wonder about the weight, when off-road. Then I read an article in Road Runner magazine about the new BMWs and with the "adventure" model weighing in at almost 600lbs wet, I no longer feel that way. Still no feather. The beemer has quite a bit more power, 134hp and 105tq, but not sure it's really needed. It does have a 6 spd which would be nice on the sporty, in my opinion.

Someday I want to follow in the footsteps of you guys and build one from a sporty.
Go for it. The sportster actually handles pretty good off road better than you would expect at least

Old 10-29-2019 | 07:22 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fergusoneddie
I'm 60 with a 1 year old liver transplant. I'm not doing any off roading with it when (if) I get it done... Maybe somebodies grave driveway

I just want something different than a bobber, etc. Something that maybe make people do a quick double take.

Ed
Well I am 57 and still looking to tear it up. As I said earlier in my thread, I am looking to mostly bomb up and down the thousands of miles of dirt roads we have in Michigan on this Sportster. I grew up in Chicago and went to college in Southern Illinois. I swear that Oakland County in SE Michigan has more dirt roads than the whole state of Illinois. Roads I avoid on my EVO Touring bike. I have not seen another Scrambler running around the Detroit area yet but did see one for sale on Marketplace near here. G.B.

Old 10-29-2019 | 07:39 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

Work has been slow on the Sporty with work and other stuff going on. I did fire the bike up with the new to me RSD pipe on it and found I definitely need to jet the carb. I thought it might be close since it seemed to run OK with the Vance and Hines Straight Shot exhaust it had on it when I bought it. But no. So I have a carb jet kit from CV Performance coming in the mail. I still have not made it to my friends house to weld the seat loop on. Hopefully next week. I did get a little garage time tonight and cut off and reshaped the factory rear exhaust mount bracket. This bracket was very close and could have caused a rub condition on my drive belt. It was the reason I was looking to mount an idler wheel but ran into issues with the Lowbrow Kerker 2 into 1 exhaust I had originally bought for the bike. Anyways, cutting down the exhaust bracket cleaned up the look and now I have plenty of belt clearance to the frame even thought you cant tell by the pictures. G.B.

This is the original rear exhaust bracket with the 2 mounting holes

I cut off the outside plate of the bracket and trimmed down and reshaped the inner plate. This way I could keep the original oil drain hose nipple mount.

Just need to touch up the one little cut off wheel mark and hit it with some spray paint.

fergusoneddie (10-30-2019)
Old 11-10-2019 | 07:22 PM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

I haven't had much time over the past month to work on the bike. However, I finally got my new seat loop welded on yesterday. I need to clean up the welds and then work on mounting the rear fender and rack and then make a seat pan. G.B.

rhino1250 (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019 | 07:55 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

GB
Is the seat loop tubing or solid. I assume tubing. If you want a real clean, factory look, you could cut a cap from a piece of the loop tubing and weld in in place over where you joined it to the main frame. Fill it in with welds and grind smooth and you will look very hard to see how it was done.

Looks very solid, coming from one that was a sceptic before. I'd say you are well on your way to achieving your goal. Looks fantastic. I am jealous.

Are the rear shocks 14"? How much ground clearance does it have? Did you say before, what fender/tail light setup you are going to use?

Old 11-11-2019 | 09:16 AM
Gone Blue
|
Tourer

GB
Is the seat loop tubing or solid. I assume tubing. If you want a real clean, factory look, you could cut a cap from a piece of the loop tubing and weld in in place over where you joined it to the main frame. Fill it in with welds and grind smooth and you will look very hard to see how it was done.

Looks very solid, coming from one that was a sceptic before. I'd say you are well on your way to achieving your goal. Looks fantastic. I am jealous.

Are the rear shocks 14"? How much ground clearance does it have? Did you say before, what fender/tail light setup you are going to use?
handirifle, I never thought of capping were the seat loop is welded to the frame. That is a good idea. Thx! The loop is a pre-formed tube that I bought from Dime City Cycles. 1" OD / 0.75" ID. I am sure I can pick up a section of tube to cut up and cap the splice. I will see how I feel when I get the welds cleaned up.

The welds are not show winning but we got real good penetration with them. 100 mph they will be fine! Its solid.

The shocks in the picture are the original stock XL883 shocks. I have a set of 13" Burly Stilettos but swapped them to weld on the seat loop. Once I swap the shocks back I can give you a ground clearance dimension if you are curious? G.B.

Old 11-11-2019 | 10:25 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea would like to know. It looks high, but can be deceiving, I know. I only thought that about the cap since its a good chance it will show and its such a nice looking job that might otherwise detract from your hard work.

Quick Reply: Sportster Scrambler Project