Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slip-on Exhaust - Backfire or Decel Popping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Kevin sent you a pm. Don't want to hijak this thread.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:06 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
As you noted, the TTI's do not do much to lower volume...they do, however, deepen the tone. A lower exhaust tone of the same decibel rating will sound quieter to the human ear, but as you can see from the decibel charts below, there is not a big drop in volume. There is some drop in decibels and the lower/deeper tone, which adds to it sounding quieter.

If you read the entire link I posted, you will see-

"If you have decel pop and you don't like it, (some of us do like it) then you need to do something to change the AFR in your pipes.

Changing the AFR in your pipes, to get rid of decel pop can be accomplished by two different methods, or a combination of the two

1. Install some TTI’s. This will reduce the reversion, which will result in a change of the AFR in the pipes, resulting in an elimination or reduction in decel pop.

2. Use the decel enleanment strategies on your tuner to reduce/eliminate the decel pop. Do NOT richen your entire map, this will result in a loss of performance AND decreased MPG"

It i is entirely possible you had a good tune, but Jamie adjusted some of the tables specifically to get rid of the decel pop. That does not mean that your new tune was any better or worse, just adjusted to get rid of the decel pop.

Below is a video that covers some of what is in the above link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2VB0nBFhTQ

You are wasting your time on here trying to explain all of this, they just don't have the ability to understand.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:18 AM
GammaRei
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting, I have shittier MPG after intake, exhaust and tuner.

- G

Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by GammaRei
Interesting, I have shittier MPG after intake, exhaust and tuner.

- G

Stage I Upgrades (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly)

We’ve seen it countless times; a Customer does a Stage I Upgrade and sees little to no performance increase. This is because Stage I Kits are not all created equally. Read this REPORT on Stage I Upgrades where the differences are outlined.

The Stage I Upgrade is one of the most important areas to Do It Right The First Time. If you ever go to do a Stage II, III or IV, it will be built on the foundation of your Stage I. Having a mediocre Stage I will compromise potential benefits of all future improvements.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:07 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

If you want performance the last thing you want to do is take it to a dealer. They will neuter your ride. A well tuned motor with an open, performance exhaust will pop some on decel. A tune that gets rid of it is a tune that's too rich.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:52 PM
GammaRei
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Stage I Upgrades (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly)

We’ve seen it countless times; a Customer does a Stage I Upgrade and sees little to no performance increase. This is because Stage I Kits are not all created equally. Read this REPORT on Stage I Upgrades where the differences are outlined.

The Stage I Upgrade is one of the most important areas to Do It Right The First Time. If you ever go to do a Stage II, III or IV, it will be built on the foundation of your Stage I. Having a mediocre Stage I will compromise potential benefits of all future improvements.
Thanks for the info. I do notice a performance boost to the bike. And still only pay $45 a month in fuel costs so I guess I cant complain too much.

- G

Old 10-13-2022, 10:12 AM
JOE DANIEL
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Sportster

Originally Posted by Anthony Cole
I have a 2017 Sportster 1200 Custom XL. I recently purchased a Cobra slip-on exhaust from Harley Davidson; switching from stock exhaust to the new ones. After installing it, I rode the bike around for a while and kept noticing a popping/crackling noise every time I would decelerate. Not necessarily when I would apply the breaks, more-so when I let the engine decelerate on its own. It sounds kind of cool however it does raise questions about engine damage and if I should go get it looked at.

Disclaimer: This is my first HD and the first motorcycle that I have changed the exhaust on. Please keep the comments nice as I'm only looking for answers.

Thanks in advance!
Nice 2017👍🏼 I ride a 2007 HDSPORTSTER 1200 custom and after installing S&S slip ons the same issue with mine. The power is there but backfire on a quiet night makes the neighbors dislike me more 😁. I'm buying a tuner and a Air filter when my VA direct deposit arrives November.