Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slip-on Exhaust - Backfire or Decel Popping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:30 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,982 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Cole
I've never used a tuner before though, don't want to mis-tune it.
It's pretty much fool proof, plus you can always call tech support. The dealer "upgrade" tune is very limited, virtually useless. Plus, you can learn about your bike's tuning parameters so you understand what is happening. You can always ask questions here, lot's of owners have FP3's installed.

John

Old 06-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Anthony Cole
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
It's pretty much fool proof, plus you can always call tech support. The dealer "upgrade" tune is very limited, virtually useless. Plus, you can learn about your bike's tuning parameters so you understand what is happening. You can always ask questions here, lot's of owners have FP3's installed.

John
By useless, what do you mean? Would they be able to take care of the Decel popping ?

The following users liked this post:
JOE DANIEL (10-13-2022)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:06 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,982 Likes on 1,351 Posts

It's limited if you decide to do any other upgrades. Dealerships are limited to maintaining EPA standards. Depending on where you live, you can get better performance by using a custom tuner. CA is the only state where you may have issues purchasing a tuner that can exceed EPA standards. IDK, I have a carburetor on my '91.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 06-23-2019 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JOE DANIEL (10-13-2022)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:30 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I have those pipes on my Sporty, it does the same thing after tuner. I put quiet baffles in to increase back pressure, no help, the right tune guy could fix it but here in Cali everybody's scared of the EPA

Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

I doubt a Harley tune is $100 anymore, they'll sell you their tuner for sure. If you're not going to do anymore upgrades ie: Stage 2, 3, etc. Just take it in, have them tune it, and be done with it. At least you put the responsibility on them for the popping. And yes, FP3 is easy, if you're nervous, do as I suggested.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Anthony Cole
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
I have those pipes on my Sporty, it does the same thing after tuner. I put quiet baffles in to increase back pressure, no help, the right tune guy could fix it but here in Cali everybody's scared of the EPA
How long have you had them? Any engine issues? Any damage internally? If there won't be any damage, I will keep them how they are because it does sound nice.... Just worried about damage. I'd like to hear more from you.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:09 AM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 249 Likes on 191 Posts

I have a 2017 Sportster 1200 Custom XL. I recently purchased a Cobra slip-on exhaust from Harley Davidson; switching from stock exhaust to the new ones. After installing it, I rode the bike around for a while and kept noticing a popping/crackling noise every time I would decelerate. Not necessarily when I would apply the breaks, more-so when I let the engine decelerate on its own. It sounds kind of cool however it does raise questions about engine damage and if I should go get it looked at.

Disclaimer: This is my first HD and the first motorcycle that I have changed the exhaust on. Please keep the comments nice as I'm only looking for answers.

Thanks in advance!
I like the looks of your bike! I have a similar one, but with mag wheels. I used a Dynojet Power Vision to cure my lean running engine. Kinda intimidating at first, but after you learn how to use it, it becomes easy to do. From what I've gathered, your popping will not cause engine damage. I understand your concern for not harming your engine, so, its your call. If you like the dealership, you can see what they want to sell you to cure your popping. Riders on this forum will chime in with their advice. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

How long have you had them? Any engine issues? Any damage internally? If there won't be any damage, I will keep them how they are because it does sound nice.... Just worried about damage. I'd like to hear more from you.
No damage, it's just a sign it's not perfect. A couple of pops decelerating, not extensive, runs good otherwise, lots of low end torque. 1200 tho. A dyno tune would be the best

Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

I've never used a tuner before though, don't want to mis-tune it.
Any dealership can do the job. Shouldn't be that much $$. Your bike will sound better and perform better.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:26 PM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

If you have the $ for a FP3 why not?
It is basically plug and play, if you can read and use a cell phone.
In other words it doesn't get much easier than this.
By the way, nice looking bike.

Quick Reply: New Slip-on Exhaust - Backfire or Decel Popping?